Best way to destroy hard drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009
At our outpatient mental health/counseling facility we follow HIPAA regulations for protected health information, and as old devices & equipment becomes phased out we must render HDD's and memory useless such that protected health info. cannot be recovered from them. Does anyone know the best way to go about destroying hard disks and memory?

Some sources that say rubbing magnets over the surface of hard disk platters will scramble any data, and I've read others that say they won't. Some suggest drilling a couple holes in the platter, but say for example if you drilled a hole toward the outer edge of the platter couldn't data toward the inside still be accessed (maybe not very easily, but still)? As for the tiny platters from laptop HDD's they can be easily shattered with a hammer, desktop-sized HDD's not so much... and for RAM I figured snapping them in half would do the trick.

Anyone have any suggestions?

P.S. the only real documentation I could find from the HHS site is generic terms like "physical destruction may be appropriate"

Solution
In our office we use the professional suite of Active@ KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/orderform.htm

We have an eSATA docking station connected to a spare PC. Connect the drives and run the software. After that we drill a few holes and hit it with a hammer [strike]for fun[/strike] for good measure.

Depending on what standard you choose it can take several hours per drive so we only do this with with highly sensitive data. For home users it's usually just a drill and hammer job.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The hammer (crush method) works, as does grinders and drills. Physical destruction will certainly protect the data stored. Wiping the drives first and then using a physical destructive means should meet your needs.

http://www.dban.org/

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

How hard do you have to hit them lol? I've wailed on one with a claw hammer before and it did little more than dent it, I've even put one in a vice and swung at it with a hammer but it seemed like if I continued to wail on it like that it would shatter and I might end up catching razor sharp shrapnel of hard disk in my eye :pt1cable:

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
In our office we use the professional suite of Active@ KillDisk - http://www.killdisk.com/orderform.htm

We have an eSATA docking station connected to a spare PC. Connect the drives and run the software. After that we drill a few holes and hit it with a hammer [strike]for fun[/strike] for good measure.

Depending on what standard you choose it can take several hours per drive so we only do this with with highly sensitive data. For home users it's usually just a drill and hammer job.

Solution
The healthcare provider I currently work for has a service come in about once a month. The truck has a large, industrial strength chipper/shredder in the back that makes short work of hard drives. The drives are first wiped using Active@KillDisk Pro before shredding.

kanewolf

Titan
I have used a 1/2 inch drill bit and cordless drill. That will pretty much ensure that disk is unusable. Build a wooden jig to hold the disk to keep it from spinning and to allow a soft surface for the drill to contact when it goes all the way through.

30-06 is a lot more fun than the drill bit but takes a lot more space.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
In a previous life, I would send to my motor pool where the drive would be clamped down (usually with a vise) and then a grinder was used to cut in half. Not much to worry about afterward.

They could also be feed into a metal chipper (like at a recycling center).

JeckeL

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2009

Yea I thought about having a spare PC to hook up these old HDD's and wipe them but figured it would be a lot of hassle. The docking station seems like it would make things a lot easier, and we'll look into killdisk as well....

thanks everyone~!

I wish I could just take them out and use my keltec .380 :wahoo:

any data on just a piece of platter can be recovered if they want it bad

Wipe your hard drive by using specialized software that is designed to government standards and will overwrite your information (Active@ KillDisk and Softpedia DP Wiper are free downloads).

http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/safely...

then destroy the drive

Delroy Monjo

Honorable
Oct 10, 2013
The ironic thing about this thread is the gov't is so concerned about data of private citizens being compromised yet has no compunction about spending billions of $$$ to spy on it's own citizens.....at their own expense!

the gov't is so concerned about data of private citizens being compromised ??

I guess that's why there cracking down on the identity theft issues and account hacking

but yet all just love cloud base systems where you stuff is ''out there '' on a server some ware in the world out of your control?? like windows 8 and newer

Status
Not open for further replies.