[SOLVED] Best way to improve weak signal? Virgin Media

Vamo Elysian

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hey all,

I recently made the switch to Virgin Media, and have no complaints when it comes to the speeds I receive over ethernet on my PC or WiFi speed when I am in the same room as the VM Hub 3, however, if I move one room away into the bedroom, the connection drops to the point that I'm only receiving 'one bar' according to my phone's WiFi indicator and the speed plummets.

I was wondering what would be the best method of improving the range/signal in that room? For now the VM Hub 3 will have to stay where it is in the living room, but is there an extender that can be recommended? Or would using a second router or something help?

I should point out that the only available outlets in the bedroom are mains power, there are no phone lines or other kind of sockets, so I may be rather limited to some form of plug in extender/router but how do I set one up if that is the case and which is best?

Thanks for your timed!

Dale

Solution
Hey all,

I recently made the switch to Virgin Media, and have no complaints when it comes to the speeds I receive over ethernet on my PC or WiFi speed when I am in the same room as the VM Hub 3, however, if I move one room away into the bedroom, the connection drops to the point that I'm only receiving 'one bar' according to my phone's WiFi indicator and the speed plummets.

I was wondering what would be the best method of improving the range/signal in that room? For now the VM Hub 3 will have to stay where it is in the living room, but is there an extender that can be recommended? Or would using a second router or something help?

I should point out that the only available outlets in the bedroom are mains power, there are no phone...

kanewolf

Titan
Hey all,

I should point out that the only available outlets in the bedroom are mains power, there are no phone lines or other kind of sockets, so I may be rather limited to some form of plug in extender/router but how do I set one up if that is the case and which is best?

Thanks for your timed!

Dale
Since you don't have ethernet cabling, you can try powerline network adapters. This example is for US plugs -- https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Extender-TL-WPA8631P-KIT/dp/B08RHZBHTM but you should be able to find something similar for your mains plugs.

Solution

Vamo Elysian

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Since you don't have ethernet cabling, you can try powerline network adapters. This example is for US plugs -- https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-Extender-TL-WPA8631P-KIT/dp/B08RHZBHTM but you should be able to find something similar for your mains plugs.

Thanks for your response!

I had a look around for various "powerline" devices and jeez, they are expensive if you want a pair that gives out a WiFi signal rather than just as a way of adding an Ethernet port to another room.

TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit, Dual Band Speed Up to 1200 Mbps, Wi-Fi Extender/ Booster, Extra Power Socket, No Configuration Required (TL-WPA7617 KIT) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08QSK84JL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GZNTH10405E5Y4T54CQK

That seems to fit the criteria but jeez, pricey!

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks for your response!

I had a look around for various "powerline" devices and jeez, they are expensive if you want a pair that gives out a WiFi signal rather than just as a way of adding an Ethernet port to another room.

TP-Link AV1000 Gigabit Passthrough Powerline ac Wi-Fi Kit, Dual Band Speed Up to 1200 Mbps, Wi-Fi Extender/ Booster, Extra Power Socket, No Configuration Required (TL-WPA7617 KIT) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08QSK84JL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_GZNTH10405E5Y4T54CQK

That seems to fit the criteria but jeez, pricey!
If units with built-in WIFI are too expensive, then you can use the ethernet only version and add a router as an access point.

Vamo Elysian

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
If units with built-in WIFI are too expensive, then you can use the ethernet only version and add a router as an access point.

That may be the best option to be honest!

In terms of a good router to use as an acess point, are there any recommendations? Would need to be compatible with the VM Hub 3 but aside from that I don't think there are any special requirements, wouldn't need fancy etheret ports or anything, just one that gives off a good, strong, stable Wifi sifnal

kanewolf

Titan
That may be the best option to be honest!

In terms of a good router to use as an acess point, are there any recommendations? Would need to be compatible with the VM Hub 3 but aside from that I don't think there are any special requirements, wouldn't need fancy etheret ports or anything, just one that gives off a good, strong, stable Wifi sifnal
I like Asus routers for access points. They have a one button mode selector to toggle to AP mode.
Even if you choose this approach, look for powerline units that are AV2 certified. They will have the best performance and stability.