Best way to increase frame rate to suit less powered platf..

My platform is:

CPU: XP 1800+
CHIPSET: KT266A
RAM: 512 MB

My video card is:
GF 4 Ti 4600 128 MB Ram

Obviously, the video card outperforms the platform easily. My question
is; when selecting video options in games, what are the things that
depend on CPU, as opposed to video card that should be modified so as
to produce the best frame rate?

For instance, I know the resolution itself depends more on the card
than the platform and that reducing it may not produce any
improvements. I would expect the same for texture detail levels and
anti-aliasing (although anti-aliasing will be card dependent and will
generally have an effect). But do things like shadows and smoke
matter? What other sorts of things should I look for so as to best
match my video card and platform to produce best quality while
retaining highest frame rates?

In nominate

Innominate Twice wrote:
> My platform is:
>
> CPU: XP 1800+
> CHIPSET: KT266A
> RAM: 512 MB
>
> My video card is:
> GF 4 Ti 4600 128 MB Ram
>
> Obviously, the video card outperforms the platform easily. My question
> is; when selecting video options in games, what are the things that
> depend on CPU, as opposed to video card that should be modified so as
> to produce the best frame rate?
>
> For instance, I know the resolution itself depends more on the card
> than the platform and that reducing it may not produce any
> improvements. I would expect the same for texture detail levels and
> anti-aliasing (although anti-aliasing will be card dependent and will
> generally have an effect). But do things like shadows and smoke
> matter? What other sorts of things should I look for so as to best
> match my video card and platform to produce best quality while
> retaining highest frame rates?
>
> In nominate

In addition to what others have said, in older games, blending modes
tend to kill the framerate a lot. Half-Life was pretty bad for this as
everything used multitexturing to begin with, but then multiple blend
passes were done for each explosion sprite, particle effects,
transparency, etc. So what you find is that even modern hardware has a
hard time with explosions and smoke in something simple like Counter-Strike.

Much of this was the renderer itself and not the API or the graphics
hardware, but this type of failing affected many games. If you have a
decent high end FX card or a GF6, you really dont have to worry about
anything like this much because most effects are driven by single
textured pixel shaders combining everything into one programmable
shader. If the card can handle the instruction length and do everything
in one pass, then it makes a negligible impact on framerate. At least
with modern games (but then you have the counter effect of many pixel
shaders being used slowing down game as a whole).

The biggest CPU killer I can think of are physics in current games. The CPU
has to calculate how a ragdoll reactions to its environment and soforth.
I don't think that your CPU is that big of a bottleneck on your card.

"Innominate Twice" <innominatetwice@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My platform is:
>
> CPU: XP 1800+
> CHIPSET: KT266A
> RAM: 512 MB
>
> My video card is:
> GF 4 Ti 4600 128 MB Ram
>
> Obviously, the video card outperforms the platform easily. My question
> is; when selecting video options in games, what are the things that
> depend on CPU, as opposed to video card that should be modified so as
> to produce the best frame rate?
>
> For instance, I know the resolution itself depends more on the card
> than the platform and that reducing it may not produce any
> improvements. I would expect the same for texture detail levels and
> anti-aliasing (although anti-aliasing will be card dependent and will
> generally have an effect). But do things like shadows and smoke
> matter? What other sorts of things should I look for so as to best
> match my video card and platform to produce best quality while
> retaining highest frame rates?
>
> In nominate

Spajky

On 13 Oct 2004 09:18:52 -0700, innominatetwice@yahoo.com (Innominate
Twice) wrote:

>Obviously, the video card outperforms the platform easily. My question
>is; when selecting video options in games,...
>to produce the best frame rate?

set resolution no more than 1024x768 with 16-bit textures max. ...
--
Regards, SPAJKY ®
E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##