[SOLVED] Best way to save BIOS settings before BIOS update?

test_123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2012
I need to update my BIOS to fix an issue. However, I'll lose all my settings after the update. What is the best way to save BIOS settings before an update? I have a ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING. I wish there was a way to save settings to a file and simply restore.

I need to update my BIOS to fix an issue. However, I'll lose all my settings after the update. What is the best way to save BIOS settings before an update? I have a ROG STRIX Z370-H GAMING. I wish there was a way to save settings to a file and simply restore.
Some boards do have that feature. On my MSI B450M Mortar I can save settings to a file on a USB stick, for instance.

But it's next to useless as anytime I've updated BIOS and then gone to attempt reloading settings from the stick it just refuses because settings were for an earlier BIOS rev. That makes sense because I'm sure all settings are is a bitmapped series of ones and zeroes that will have no relevance from BIOS rev to rev.

Lucretia19

Reputable
Feb 5, 2020
In essence, it's a broken feature :) My MOBO has the same "feature." It can save settings, profiles, but they are not compatible with new revisions of the BIOS.

The BIOS settings backup/restore feature isn't useless, so I don't agree that it's "broken." Yesterday morning my pc lost its BIOS settings, possibly due to a lightning surge (despite the CyberPower UPS). I had to restore the settings from my own memory, which isn't very reliable. I wish I'd backed up the BIOS settings, most of which I'd made over a year ago and couldn't remember.

I've now started keeping a record of the changes I make. Taking photos of BIOS settings displays is one way to keep a record. But I'm keeping a written log of BIOS settings changes, and annotating it with the reasons why I made each change.