Best wifi router with an inbuilt torrent client

egils

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
what is the best router with an inbuilt torrent client ? needs to have an hdd or the possibility to attach one.

I have no idea if it's the best, but I do know the ASUS line supports several routers w/ a feature called Download Master (a built-in bittorrent client). And these usually have at least one USB port, sometimes two, for HDDs and printers.

http://usa.asus.com/Networks/Wireless_Routers/RTN16/

These will even monitor/manage ftp/http downloads.

Of course, there's always the possibility of using a dd-wrt/tomato/openwrt compatible router and installing a bittorrent client (e.g., Linux Transmission) as optware. Note, you don't necessarily have to have a router w/ USB, just as long as you have a windows share or similar resource. But USB would certainly be nice if you don't have other computers available for storage purposes.

Is that a torrent client though, or just a feature to better support multiple connections? Meaning you can que up downloads from the router instead of a PC. Unless the OP was looking for this download feature and not an actuall client.

I'm not sure there's a difference (or else I don't understand the distinctions you're trying to make). As far as a I know, it's a legitimate client. You use a web interface to the router to define your downloads (by url, whether BT, ftp, or http) and it then takes over and manages the process. It's basically a remote bittorrent client. You can literally shutdown all your PCs/laptops for the night and the process continues. Your files are there in the morning (hopefully).

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi guys if possible I would like to bump up this post and add to question.

I am looking for High End router with USB2.0 better 3.0 with single or double usb ports on it that support FTP and Torrent client right inside the unit without any Modifications. Right now I use Netgear 3700v1 with DD-WRT on it and it does everything I asked for however latest build completely screwed me because they changed everything, and because to configure openware under DD-WRT you need degree in engineering I need something more reliable and simple. GUI interface with feature I listed. USB port, at list one, FTP Client and Torrent client.

Is there a such thing available ? Cause if not my next Variant is to get a Router that compatible with TomatoesUSB it looks like the simplest version of custom os available for Routers, too bad my 3700v1 does not support CPU used in Tomotoes.

Anyhow I hope sense 2011 something happened and now finally someone can answer the question.
Thanks !

UPDATE, Nothing , noone knows ?

Somatom

Honorable
Nov 10, 2013

Hi!
Sorry for my bad english! Your feature list, out of the box:
USB2: Asus RT-N66U, RT-AC66U
USB3: Asus RT-AC68U
Or here is the Shibby-Tomato compatible routers list: http://tomato.groov.pl/?page_id=69
But usb3 on wireless router, not good idea.
1.: Not the usb2 port is the limit for transfer speed
2.: Interference problem. If you use usb3 device, only the 5Ghz network usable.
The best answer for your ask: NAS
I have a Linksys E-3000 with Shibby-Tomato, and a Zyxel NSA310. Problem solved. :)

Somatom, from Hungary

XAKEP

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Thank you very much for your answer. The only reason I am against any kind of non production os because shit breaks. I mean like I stated before I am totally happy with my DD-WRT installation on 3700v1 with optware. BUT , one it took me like a month to learn how to setup and another 2 months how to configure it property and with one click I broke everything just by upgrading DDWRT to latest version. So this is what I don't want. I want nice GUI that I can click in the box, write user name and stuff, and DONE, or same GUI or web interface that I can send torrent in to and done, updates ,.,,,, no problem ..because it's build in and company make all updates to work. I have one of the best routers (still) out there 3700v1 and I only wish this things are a bit easier to do but they are not configuration is hard, setup is hard and if you want to update ....well good luck. Especially latest updates because all tutorials available on the net are no longer work ...now what ? I mean If I got right now and install new DDWRT version and I want to have optware and Transmission daemon running unless I am a linux programmer or admin , no way I can do this cause they changed everything and it'll take me another month to do this, or may be more cause that month was WITH tutorials available.

So till then company made GUI with build in and just what I need.

Thank you for your answer once again !