[SOLVED] Best Windows 10 Changes to Make for Gaming?

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015
Just came back to windows 10 with my new mobo, ASUS Prime z270a, and seems like i'm missing a lot of settings to get everything out of my PC.

What are the most necessary and optimal windows settings to change? I have high performance on. :)

Solution
Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer websites. In case of Radeon or GeForce go straight to AMD or nVidia respectively. Not the assembler (MSI, Gigabyte, &c). The GPU driver is the most critical to update.

Other than that. Use an anti-virus which has a low performance impact. Such as Avira. Disable any startup items that are not necessary. Many programs install junk services that don't need to run at startup or for the program to function. Pause cloud sync services like Google Drive. Pause backups. Close any open programs.

Use a program like MSI afterburner and enable OSD. That way you can look at CPU/GPU/RAM usage while gaming. Along with temps. To help you tweak game settings to an optimal balance for max FPS with...
Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer websites. In case of Radeon or GeForce go straight to AMD or nVidia respectively. Not the assembler (MSI, Gigabyte, &c). The GPU driver is the most critical to update.

Other than that. Use an anti-virus which has a low performance impact. Such as Avira. Disable any startup items that are not necessary. Many programs install junk services that don't need to run at startup or for the program to function. Pause cloud sync services like Google Drive. Pause backups. Close any open programs.

Use a program like MSI afterburner and enable OSD. That way you can look at CPU/GPU/RAM usage while gaming. Along with temps. To help you tweak game settings to an optimal balance for max FPS with minimal detail loss. Monitoring temps and clock rate will let you determine if you need more aggressive fan settings or better cooling. As you'll see if you are throttling or at least not hitting full turbo boost.

Solution

Raerayu

Honorable
Nov 26, 2015

Use a program like MSI afterburner and enable OSD. That way you can look at CPU/GPU/RAM usage while gaming. Along with temps. To help you tweak game settings to an optimal balance for max FPS with minimal detail loss. Monitoring temps and clock rate will let you determine if you need more aggressive fan settings or better cooling. As you'll see if you are throttling or at least not hitting full turbo boost.
Roger that, so there's nothing else inside of windows you would change (besides Xbox App and High Performance) Don't know if there's any settings that will hold me back, and should I be using game mode?

The Power setting -high performance/advanced power settings/processor power management- max/min -100%-is the most impt. thing. If set as noted it can provide an auto o/c without touching bios , using MAX TURBO all the time. Burns more power of course but gives max turbo performance within reasonable temps. Cooling however becomes important as well so watch them temps closely.