Best XBox Games for Kids?

Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.

I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
the same time.

What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews

> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> the same time.
>
> What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?

Not multi-player, but Voodoo Vince is near the top of my list of games for
one and all. Vince is a voodoo doll who has to rescue his master. Lots of
running, jumping, collecting, and stomping enemies.

Available for all systems, SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom is way up
there too. More rinning and jumping and collecting and enemy fighting.

"Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.

Grand Theft Auto Vice City
Riddick
Manhunt
DOA Volleyball
The Guy Game

- Cryo

These are games NOT good for your kids!!! Ignore Cryo's suggestion.

Cheers,
PQ

> Grand Theft Auto Vice City
> Riddick
> Manhunt
> DOA Volleyball
> The Guy Game
>
> - Cryo

yeah manhunt is a good one lol

"Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> the same time.
>
> What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>
> --
> Kevin Steele
> RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
> www.retroblast.com

Cryofax thought about it a bit, then said...
> "Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> Grand Theft Auto Vice City
> Riddick
> Manhunt
> DOA Volleyball
> The Guy Game
>
> - Cryo

You are a cruel, cruel man...how's about a serious suggestion? ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

TheLightsAreOn thought about it a bit, then said...
> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
> >
> > I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> > the same time.
> >
> > What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
> >

> Not multi-player, but Voodoo Vince is near the top of my list of games for
> one and all. Vince is a voodoo doll who has to rescue his master. Lots of
> running, jumping, collecting, and stomping enemies.
>
> Available for all systems, SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom is way up
> there too. More rinning and jumping and collecting and enemy fighting.

Thanks - the kids love Spongebob, so I'll have to give it look. How is
it control-wise? Simple, complicated, somewhere inbetween?

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

Phyber Quest thought about it a bit, then said...
> These are games NOT good for your kids!!! Ignore Cryo's suggestion.
>
> Cheers,
> PQ

Don't worry - I know the games are M-rated. Heck, they might be fun for
me, but I'm really more of a "retrogaming" guy (see sig ;-)

That said, I just finished Half-Life 2 on the PC, so Riddick might be
next. But back to the question: any good kids games? Easy controls, easy
goals, a little less blood on the walls?

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

> TheLightsAreOn thought about it a bit, then said...
>> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
>> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>> >
>> > I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play
>> > at the same time.
>> >
>> > What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>> >

>> Not multi-player, but Voodoo Vince is near the top of my list of
>> games for one and all. Vince is a voodoo doll who has to rescue his
>> master. Lots of running, jumping, collecting, and stomping enemies.
>>
>> Available for all systems, SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom is way
>> up there too. More rinning and jumping and collecting and enemy
>> fighting.
>
> Thanks - the kids love Spongebob, so I'll have to give it look. How is
> it control-wise? Simple, complicated, somewhere inbetween?

Fairly straight forward controlls. Some of the missions are a little on
the "ruff side", but you do not need to do all the missions to win (I am
still one mission short of 100%).

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:
> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.

> I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> the same time.

> What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?

The Project Gotham race games are good fun if not a little frustrating.
Oddworld is a fun game and is fine for kids. Of course there is always
the Midway Arcade Series one and 2 and the retro Atari collection, but
then again, you seem like the type that might already have a MAME cab
so... ];)

--
David
Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths good theatre.

SINNER thought about it a bit, then said...
> * Kevin Steele wrote in alt.games.video.xbox:
> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> > I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> > the same time.
>
> > What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>
> The Project Gotham race games are good fun if not a little frustrating.
> Oddworld is a fun game and is fine for kids. Of course there is always
> the Midway Arcade Series one and 2 and the retro Atari collection, but
> then again, you seem like the type that might already have a MAME cab
> so... ];)

Heh...hiya, Sinner! Yeah, I almost picked up the Midway and Atari
collections, but they seemed so...well, redundant when you've already
got a MAME arcade cab.

BTW, my purchase of an XBox is for another RetroBlast review...but I
can't tell you what yet. Only that it's something very cool for retro-
loving XBox owners! (Oh, the sacrifices I make for the site ;-)

--

> Phyber Quest thought about it a bit, then said...
> > These are games NOT good for your kids!!! Ignore Cryo's suggestion.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > PQ
>
> Don't worry - I know the games are M-rated. Heck, they might be fun for
> me, but I'm really more of a "retrogaming" guy (see sig ;-)

Activision Anthology
Atari Anthology
Midway Arcade Treasures 1 & 2 (the M rating on 2 is mainly for the Mortal
Kombat games)
Namco Museum

Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
>anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
>I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
>the same time.
>
>What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?

Super Monkey Ball DX coming soon!

I dunno what else. Definitely not Finding Nemo -- I felt the
controls were sluggish and unforgiving.

--
"[Ashcroft] resisted FBI requests for more counterterrorism funding before
and immediately after the [9/11] attacks."

Andrew Ryan Chang thought about it a bit, then said...
> Kevin Steele <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
> >Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> >anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
> >
> >I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> >the same time.
> >
> >What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>
> Super Monkey Ball DX coming soon!
>
> I dunno what else. Definitely not Finding Nemo -- I felt the
> controls were sluggish and unforgiving.

Yeah, Super Monkey Ball DX looks like just the ticket. I just got Crash
Nitro Cart, and it's proving a lot of fun (for me, at least -- the kids
are more into Obi-Wan ;-)

--

> Cryofax thought about it a bit, then said...
>> "Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
>> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
>> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>>
>> Grand Theft Auto Vice City
>> Riddick
>> Manhunt
>> DOA Volleyball
>> The Guy Game
>>
>> - Cryo

Heh I was just kidding. I knew he'd know those were not for kids... I have
kids aged 4, 7, and 10, and here are some games we enjoy...

Shrek II (3 player coop solving little puzzles/battles very fun)
Baldur's Gate II (My son and I do this one)
Simpson's Hit and Run (just like GTA but without the nasty stuff)
Sphinx & The Mummy (nice Zelda-like adventure game)
DOA 2 Ultimate (fighting games are popular with boys)
Mercenaries (this is T rated, but has no blood or swearing and lets boys
blow up lots of stuff)

- Cryo

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:47:46 -0500, Kevin Steele
<net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:

>Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
>anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
>I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
>the same time.
>
>What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?

Kevin finds me again in yet another space. First MAME, then RGP and
now XBOX. Welcome to my world Kevin. Or, is it I who is following you?

Anyway here's my recommendations. I've got a 10 year old daughter and
nephews ages 6 and 8:

SSX 3 (or SSX Tricky)
SpongeBob Squarepants (either Bikini Bottom or The Movie)
Shrek Super Party
Crash Bandicoot : Wrath of Cortex
Midtown Madness 3
Sneakers
Top Spin

Mark
Norcross GA

John Bigbooty thought about it a bit, then said...
> On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 17:47:46 -0500, Kevin Steele
> <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote:
>
> >Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> >anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
> >
> >I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> >the same time.
> >
> >What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>
> Kevin finds me again in yet another space. First MAME, then RGP and
> now XBOX. Welcome to my world Kevin. Or, is it I who is following you?

I'm a stalker, I suppose. ;-) Glad to see MAMEiacs and Pinheads in here!
I guess none of us have real lives, huh? ;-)

> Anyway here's my recommendations. I've got a 10 year old daughter and
> nephews ages 6 and 8:
>
> SSX 3 (or SSX Tricky)
> SpongeBob Squarepants (either Bikini Bottom or The Movie)
> Shrek Super Party
> Crash Bandicoot : Wrath of Cortex
> Midtown Madness 3
> Sneakers
> Top Spin
>
> Mark
> Norcross GA

Thanks for all of the suggestions (everyone!) Looks like I've got a good
"shopping list" for my next trip through Game Stop...

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

No one has yet to mention the very best kid game so far for the Xbox, Fuzion
Frenzy! It is mad fun for adults and kids. My seven year old kicks my tail
ever game. It is great for up to 4 people, no online play however.
Brad
"Kevin Steele" <net-replyDEL@DELadelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> the same time.
>
> What do you feel are the best XBox games for kids?
>
> --
> Kevin Steele
> RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
> www.retroblast.com

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001

Kevin Steele wrote:

> Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
>
> I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> the same time.

Toe Jam and Earl 3 has multiplayer and is more or less appropriate for
kids. If the ages of your kids are 5 and 10 tho, I doubt they're going
to play well together yet; the 10 year old will probably be too advanced
compared ot the 5 year old. Give it 3 or 4 years...

Ted thought about it a bit, then said...

> Kevin Steele wrote:
> >
> > Just picked up an XBox (yeah, behind the times ;-) and wondered if
> > anyone had any recommendations for games for 5-10 year old boys.
> >
> > I'm ideally looking for multiplayer games, so both my kids can play at
> > the same time.
>
> Toe Jam and Earl 3 has multiplayer and is more or less appropriate for
> kids. If the ages of your kids are 5 and 10 tho, I doubt they're going
> to play well together yet; the 10 year old will probably be too advanced
> compared ot the 5 year old. Give it 3 or 4 years...

5-10 was just a range - I've got a 5 year old and a 7 year old , and
both boys are Star Wars nuts. They're having a blast with Obi-Wan,
especially the "Jedi Battles" where they can go head-to-head with light
sabers (oh yeah, they're my boys ;-)

--
Kevin Steele
RetroBlast! Retrogaming News and Reviews
www.retroblast.com

I have an eight year old daughter...

SSX3
Fusion Frenzy (she loves this game)
The Incredibles
Voodoo Vince

and her all time favorite game is...
Halo co-op

[Yes I will burn in hell and she will probably grow up to be a
psychopathic killer but I let her play an M rated game.]

--
Mac Cool

brad...yea, fuzion frenzy is a great game for a small group...

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Oh yeah Halo one in coop with my 7 year old as well. No doubt our favorite
game to play together.
Brad