Bethesda: Doom 4 Was Sent Back to Drawing Board

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

janetonly42

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]doom is a tough one to even begin with. it changed the game back in the day (i can't believe i'm old enough to say that) and it's hard to recapture that in a new game. We are all sick and tired of "take that path, and kill everything you encounter" games, but what do you do? Look at crysis3, all those nice looks, but pretty much one straight path to the big motherf***** at the end... perhaps they should make an rpg instead of a fps, i simply don't know, and i think carmack doesn't know either![/citation]
Agree and maybe why Bethesda has been knocking them out of the park with Oblivion, Fallout 3 and SkyRim.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Doom has always been about Demons and Guns. I really don't want anymore scripted, on rails games for sure. Bethesda makes awesome games, Fallout 3, New Vegas, Skyrim and Oblivion are some of my favorite games but they are a different kind of game than what I'm looking for from a Doom game. Doom is about Chaos, Madness, an insane about of enemies to dispatch and awe inspiring sub and end bosses. The formula still works. I still have a lot of fun with Serious Sam and Painkiller. I'm not falling for another game like Rage. And please give us some co-op play.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i havent read a single comment yet so i dont know if its said...

brutal doom...
my god, how fun is that?

you know how much that would take to make today?

not much at all...

you want to know how to make doom right,
ill tell you

make it gory,
make physics play some roll in it.
give us anything from simple kill everything shooter moments to what the hell do i need to do puzzle moments

do all of this, make 30 levels (not hard at all, trust me, makeing the levels them selves is not hard once you have the programming done)

make it steam works from day one, and release an sdk that is easy enough to drag and drop elements into it from stock so anyone with an idea can make a game, to you make your own custom anything.

there, you made a fps that will never die, congratulations.

TL:DR
1) make game fun to kill enemies, not humans and regen health
2) put some puzzles in the game
3) eff the story
4) sdk at launch
5) ...
6) profit.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
dont get me wrong I loved doom... cut my teeth on it in fact. My dad got me the ultimate doom on floppy disk for christmas one year... so yeah you can say Ive played the game a bit. But doom's time has come and gone "reimagining" it doesnt make it better. That's because when you played the original not only were the levels vast and expansive but there were some times 20 enemies on screen at once and all you had was a shotgun to defend yourself but there was nothing else out there quite like it...it was new and inventive and you always wondered what new enemy youd be facing next. With doom 3 you had mostly claustrophobic hallways or rooms and 2 or 3 of the same enemies to shoot with any number of over powered weapons. It seemed less inventive and more survival horror but with, what at the time were, pretty damned good graphics. So rehashing doom2 as doom4 isnt going to be anything really new just updated graphics and claustrophobic spaces with a handful of enemies on the screen at once.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]dont get me wrong I loved doom... cut my teeth on it in fact. My dad got me the ultimate doom on floppy disk for christmas one year... so yeah you can say Ive played the game a bit. But doom's time has come and gone "reimagining" it doesnt make it better. That's because when you played the original not only were the levels vast and expansive but there were some times 20 enemies on screen at once and all you had was a shotgun to defend yourself but there was nothing else out there quite like it...it was new and inventive and you always wondered what new enemy youd be facing next. With doom 3 you had mostly claustrophobic hallways or rooms and 2 or 3 of the same enemies to shoot with any number of over powered weapons. It seemed less inventive and more survival horror but with, what at the time were, pretty damned good graphics. So rehashing doom2 as doom4 isnt going to be anything really new just updated graphics and claustrophobic spaces with a handful of enemies on the screen at once.[/citation]

the game design of doom is timeless, the gameplay however... try brutal doom and tell me it isnt the most fun you had in years with a game.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I want a D4 that runs natively on 4k. Come on We need a death match in D4. Give us what we want. I want more explosive power and detail. D4 you can do it. F+k the consoles. Give us native 4k. GIve us a light gun that we can load and pop shells. Lets push it so that it is legendary.

Status
Not open for further replies.