Bethesda Reveals Minimum System Specs For The Evil Within

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ags1

Honorable
Apr 26, 2012
...mass murder in an asylum, etc, etc... Let's play to all the negative stereotypes of mental illness. At least my computer can't run this POS.

G

Good ol' Bethesda. Much like Rockstar they don't seem to like bothering with PC much.
Although, I still hold out faith on Rockstar with the GTA V release soon, from their boasting, it does seem like they've used some of the money in that swimming pool to hire a decent set of programmers.

If at any time a hardware switch happens, be it consoles or PCs (There's a comparison joke here somewhere), Bethesda always seem to be the first to complain. I'm not entirely sure how a company with such a strong IP line-up and ever-growing fanbase can be so poor when it comes to caring for them.

The immediate jump out to me is the recommended 4GB of VRAM. That says to me that they've made these for the newer consoles and really can't be bothered to do much else for a PC port. We've seen something similar with WatchDogs and AC4.
Graphically, the game doesn't look terrible, but it doesn't look all that demanding either.
It's difficult not to love Bethesda's titles, but they've always been pretty poo when it comes to bug-testing.

I'm putting this down as either over-estimation or general bad porting.

(Did they even feel like listing which generation of i7?)

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
This really doesn't make sense.

We could assume that perhaps the VRAM they refer to is the total vram available in the system (from your graphic card AND from your windows system). You can check this, it is there also on desktop PCs. So ok let's say it's that.
It automatically means you need 6-8Gb ram minimum!

About the cpu, this is also a joke and it will be a proven to be joke when we benchmark the game and see half cores of an i7 idling or going 30% maximum.

Pretty sure they are getting some good benefits from Nvidia AMD Intel to press players on hardware but how many will they buy this game ..really, it won't influence a huge user base anyway.

Now on the other hand if it was a game like WoW, LoL etc i would expect soldouts on shops hahaa

HazNut

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
4gb vram, must be a mistake, but nice to see my gpu is still recommended spec for nearly every high end game :D

dmarroyuelo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Anybody can tell me, if my specifications are enough to run this Game?:

ntel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.00GHz / Bus 1066Mhz (Kentsfield 65nm)
4GB DDR2 1066MHz
AMD Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5
500GB SATA2: Windows 7 64Bits
1TB SATA2: VideoGames Data
Motherboard Gigabyte with Intel P35 Chipset

Thanks in Advance!

No way, not at all.

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
well if an i7 CPU is needed then i will expect some pretty advanced AI functions in the dialog, in combat from the enemy and if accialbe from anyone who helps the player, and an option for it to have a steam workshop for mods so those extra threads can be ulitized and 8 to 36 threads is a ton and as the morden high preforamnce games at most usilize barely ulitize 8 threads and offload the rest to efficent OpenCL coding why couldnt Bethesda so the same?

dmarroyuelo

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011

I don't think you need an i7 for play this game, I have an Intel Core 2 Duo Q6600 (8 years old), and works very well... and my video card is not so new too, AMD Radeon HD6970 with 2GB of VRAM.

I don't know why Bethesda lie with the specifications. Must be something behind this decision... maybe stupidity?

Intel probably paid them.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I just played for a bit this game.. Bethesda was lieing, this game doesn't have crazily detailed graphics that would make you need a 4Gb vram card..I think they did it intentionaly to get some hype for their game.
I wasn't impressed at all from the graphics. It is obviously a port from console (talking about PC version here), a good one in matter of graphics (compared to other ported games) but it is still average! in quality of graphics and lighting complexity!

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

I was kinda hopeing for that very advanced AI system which incorprotes almost all of the AI technology we currently have in the world ... but that would be surper expenive to do and most likely drive up the cost of production on something that most will not fully compahend is new and intervative :(
Still "The Evil Within" seems like a good game and hopefully it will be if and when i ever do get it just why are Core i7s so much when the Xeon equevents to them are less money for the same thing with more L1 instructions but no Overclocking?
For the prime example Xeon E5-1620v2 is about the same as the "new" i7-5930k" without overclocking.

leeb2013

Honorable
As usual these days, they lied about the requirements. As the game only utilises 30% of one core of an I5, a low end Pentium would be fine. Also, as it's locked at 30fps and the graphics are rubbish, even max settings on 3 monitors doesn't push a R9 290 to the limit.

So at 1080p, a pentium and gtx 750ti should play this fine at max settings

yumri

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010

i think a pentium will will a big choke point for that but a cheap i5 will not and allow the R9 290 to fly ... it is mainly because of cache sizes and the i5 haveing 4 cores and the pentium haveing 1 ~ 2 depending on the model some with hyperthreading.

gaming on 3 monitors at 1080p will push the card to the lmit if there isnt a frame cap anyways but as there is a little CPU upgrade should improve it alot in preformance.

Status
Not open for further replies.