Bethesda Reveals PC Requirements for Skyrim

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]They're crappy games. Pointless fantasy/postapoc hiking simulators where you do a bunch of random shit in a world that you don't affect and where nothing changes. And they're ugly as hell. Bethesda are the most egregious bullshotters out there, but people still accept their prerelease screenshots for some damn reason.Sorry I can't fathom the complexities of your true RPGs.[/citation]

Did you click on the wrong post to comment about? That made no sense in the context of my post.

[citation][nom]pozaks[/nom]They're crappy games. Pointless fantasy/postapoc hiking simulators where you do a bunch of random *** in a world that you don't affect and where nothing changes. And they're ugly as hell. Bethesda are the most egregious bullshotters out there, but people still accept their prerelease screenshots for some damn reason.Sorry I can't fathom the complexities of your true RPGs.[/citation]

Now to comment on your "opinion". Remember, that is an "opinion". The things that is fun about the TES games is that they have a wide open world with lots of quest lines to keep you entertained long after the main plot is finished. I definitely loved the first couple games. The 2nd or 3rd one was a bug fest, and eventually I replayed it after most the fixes, and had fun. Morrowind was the best one of the series.

I'll agree that the leveling system is a little odd. I personally do not like it, but it is an ingenious system and when I approach the game right, it's a lot of fun. What is special about it is that you can create any character type you want. There are no limitations other than imagination. The weakness is that you can get caught up into micromanaging your leveling so much it's like work. If you can be disciplined enough to not overly micromanage the leveling, it can be a vary rewarding system.

I did not like Oblivion nearly as much as Morrowind. The main reason is that magic weapons all required charging with magic. I don't believe melee and archers should be required to follow a magical path just to do decent damage. That problem only existed in the last TES game, Oblivion. I hope they reconsider that move with Skyrim.

G

Hopefully Skyrim will be customizable like Oblivion and Fallout.

Push the gridstoload out from 5 to 9 or 11 and the high texture range from 3 to 5 or 7 and you will have a video card requirement of a 570+

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
Why do people think that every upcoming PC title MUST have eye-popping visuals or else its not worth it?

This mentality is the primary reason why developers are shunning the PC these days - PC gamers want EVERY game out there to satisfy their 400$ GPU while forgetting the countless others who do not have the money to spend that much on a GPU.

Yes I understand the feeling "If I paid that much for this stuff, I better get the most out of it" but they must also realize that not every game is made to impress in only one way ie. visually, and TES is certainly not about eye-candy alone - want something to prod your Quad-Crossfire 6990s and 5780x1080 eyefinity setup? Then wait for Metro Last Light, or something similar.

From the trailers and screenshots, Skyrim looks great and with the dedicated modding community, it'll look even better. Just play the game like it was meant to, keeping in mind what TES stands for and enjoy, and quit bitching about system requirements.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
If they made a PS3 version , they have a version that supports OpenGL. I truly hope there is a PC option to enable OpenGL since I support open protocols and cross platform. All ps3 games are written in OpenGL ES so give us historic gamers, that bought the first 3DfX card's some loving and give us OPEN GL PC support please.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
I've played all Elder Scrolls games and Oblivion was, together with Daggerfall, the least entertaining one. Daggerfall was killed by the ridiculous dungeon system, Oblivion by repetitive main story (going so many times into more or less the same Oblivion area?) and auto-adjustment of enemies to your level (it was really boring to fight the same enemies all the time).
I don't care about graphics. When I play an RPG, I want to feel playing a role and it has to be entertaining.

G

Okay first thank you for taking the time to read this.

I plan on buying Skyrim for my computer but i am not too sure how high i will be able to run it. Can you help?

PC Specs:

Intel Core i3-540 Overclocked @ 4.40GHz

4GB Mushkin Silverline (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

NVIDIA GTX 550TI

On a scale of Low-Medium-High-Ultra how high can i run Skyrim? Thanks.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Every new Elder Scrolls game tends to be aimed ahead of current hardware and more toward future systems. I remember trying to play Oblivion on a Pentium 4 coupled with a Geforce 6800 Ultra. I thought "It still lags? Darn." Waited awhile, didn't run well with the 7 series with an old Athlon 64. "Darn. Still lags?" Waited a bit longer for the 8 series and threw it in with an Athlon X2. "Wow. Town doesn't crawl anymore! Grass still kinda sucks." Waited a bit longer. i3 with a GTX 470 "Wow. The textures are horrible. Modding time!"

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
[citation][nom]GusMaby96[/nom]Okay first thank you for taking the time to read this. I plan on buying Skyrim for my computer but i am not too sure how high i will be able to run it. Can you help?PC Specs:Intel Core i3-540 Overclocked @ 4.40GHz4GB Mushkin Silverline (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHzNVIDIA GTX 550TI On a scale of Low-Medium-High-Ultra how high can i run Skyrim? Thanks.[/citation]

Probably low to medium for most settings, a few on high. A dual core will probably choke Skyrim, even if it is pretty high clocked. Some games like to have a quad or better to get a little more breathing room. Your GPU is OK, but probably won't handle the graphics too well.

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation]Also, your description may fit almost every game... "where you do a bunch of random shit in a world that you don't affect and where nothing changes." Aside from certain aspects of EvE I don't know of any game where a single player can affect the game for everyone.[/citation]
This is a goddamn single player game. Why wouldn't my world-saving actions affect everything? Or at least something?

Bethesda creates open world games with tiny towns that exists only to give you quests that affect nothing else in the game. I can imagine how some people like running around and doing random quests for a bunch of personality-free strangers speaking in the same voice, finding little easter eggs and playing pretend with the very big gameworld. You can join every guild and become the master of everything. It's a very rewarding, hypothalamus stroking game.

Bethesda doesn't have the talent or the balls to make your actions affect anything significant. In Fallout 3 they blew their whole load in megaton (look you can do two different things here!), everything else was isolated. The only world effects come in their gloriously linear main quests at nice little predefined spots. It's a pretty, content-smothered, predictably unresponsive gameworld. "HEY STRANGER, I AM THE PRINCE OF MADNESS!!" "I saw a mudcrab the other day."

pozaks, I have two solutions for you:

1) don't buy or play the game and move along.

2) develop your own game that has the features you want.

TES has a big following. If they changed the direction of their game, they'd alienate their following and probably lose sales. Great for most people, apparently bad for you. Not every game is meant for everyone. As soon as games try to please everyone, they end up pleasing no one.

G

So riddle me this, and be aware that I used to have the tiniest bit of pc knowledge but it has since disappeared. I have a laptop, which may be my only chance to play this. So can anyone tell me the likelihood of me being able to smoothly play Skyrim. I don't need it to look incredible, just run without it seeming like it's going 10fps.

AMD Dual core E-350
AMD Radeon HD 6310
1.6 GHz
3GB RAM

Now if I can I only have to fix my usb mouse problem MS left me with. Cheers.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]MoveyourAssNovember[/nom]So riddle me this, and be aware that I used to have the tiniest bit of pc knowledge but it has since disappeared. I have a laptop, which may be my only chance to play this. So can anyone tell me the likelihood of me being able to smoothly play Skyrim. I don't need it to look incredible, just run without it seeming like it's going 10fps. AMD Dual core E-350AMD Radeon HD 63101.6 GHz3GB RAMNow if I can I only have to fix my usb mouse problem MS left me with. Cheers.[/citation]

You may be able to play it on lower settings, but I'm really kinda doubting it. The GPU is integrated into the processor which means it doesn't have dedicated memory, therefore it's slower than a stand-alone card. Also, the CPU is a 1.6 GHz dual core versus 2 GHz that Bethsoft is recommending. It may play, but I'm betting you'll be frustrated with it's performance.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]GusMaby96[/nom]Okay first thank you for taking the time to read this. I plan on buying Skyrim for my computer but i am not too sure how high i will be able to run it. Can you help?PC Specs:Intel Core i3-540 Overclocked @ 4.40GHz4GB Mushkin Silverline (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHzNVIDIA GTX 550TI On a scale of Low-Medium-High-Ultra how high can i run Skyrim? Thanks.[/citation]

Depends on how CPU heavy the game is. Your GPU may be able to handle high/ultra, but the dual core CPU is lacking. The OC to 4.4 GHz may negate that, though. I would guess high on most with ultra on a few, but since we have no idea what ultra does, there's no way to tell.

Massacher

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
@ Jarmo:

"Actually it'd be best if everybody was limited to 1280x720 resolution and no AA, because old machines could play with max settings."

@ casualbuilder:

"The economy is tough. I think the fact that Bethesda is making games for the mass majority, instead of the "5%" of uber gamers/systems, is ingenious. Businesses need to make money, if they sold games that required much more that these minimum requirements, they could possibly loose as much as 25% of their sales."

if they limited rez and settings to that low i for one would not be buying it. and i'm sure alot of other hardcore gamers wouldn't either. sales is more than just about one game. if the game doesn't live up to the expectations of gamers then it will hurt future titles and they would lose a lot more money then because people would look back on previous titles and think how crappy they were and in the long run they would lose a lot more profit then merely 25%.

G

@ nicodemus_mm

Appreciate the reply. Yeah I figured the lack of dedicated memory would sadden me some day, just couldn't afford it at the time. My birthday is up 3 days after Skyrim hits, so hopefully people around me will feel generous enough to supply me with a ps3 or 360. Cheers!

G

*comment to make myself feel better, even though I have no idea what Bethesda's configuration management and development processes are.*

Seriously, I can't believe the audacity of half these comments. Seems like the higher a site is ranked on google, the more Apes you get online jamming their premature thoughts into any text field with a submit button.

Nobody cares what you think the specs are on a video card. The manufacturers have this information on their site.

If Bethesda recommends purchasing a GTX 260 (or higher) before loading up the game, its a fair bet that someone who has spent more time in calculus class than you have trolling the internet, worked a decent ammount of hours testing refresh rates, polygon counts, draw distances, fps, culling and got knows what else. Additionally they are not releasing the recommended specs for "Ultra"... This means if your more into building a PC and posting your FPS count, you can probably go with SLI and tweak the texture settings and lighting effects to create a more realistic effect.

This also means if you actually like playing video games more than re-installing, you can also play with an XBox, PS3 or earlier PC that isnt quite up to snuff.

I am thrilled about this game, and after reading multiple beta reviews, interviews and watching videos about the development process... i am more excited then ever...as Elder Scrolls is my favorite series.

Bottom line,
The specs are listed above. Build a ballin' PC so you can run @ Ultra High resolution and be awed at the terrain... or pickup a used xbox for $150 bucks and enjoy the game for its playability instead of gorgeousness... either way you will win.

new003

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2010
I'm going to wait a few months before I try skyrim. Oblivion i played it for the first time game of the year edition with all the mods and fixes it was a great experience. Hope some really great stuff comes out later for skyrim because i really hate slow refurbished xbax graphics.

G

I cannot wait, and I cannot complain about any requirements. If I need to upgrade, then so be it. Or just buy the game for my PS3. Or xbox360.

G

I hate STEAM its a piece of crap, but i expect the game to good as morrowind with a flare thrown in. But i agree with mods. Itl make it a lot better in graphics wise and what not.

G

naw, when u levelled the whole world levelled with you, which makes levelling pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.