Bethesda Suing Minecraft Developer Over "Scrolls"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yeah, I agree with many others.

I really like Bethesda and the games they produce, but this is not cool. I know this is just the nature of business now, but that still doesn't mean you're obligated to take action (by lawsuit).

If this develops into anything, Bethesda will feel some hurt from the community. It may not affect their sales, but it'll most definitely affect their image.

I would say that they just bit off way more than they can chew without even knowing it. If they continue with this, they will lose more than they'll gain in the long run.

Of course, this all assumes you like Minecraft.

Hunter_Killers

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2003
They don't really have a choice. The nature of the system is that if you don't try to protect these sort of things you lose them and make yourself vulnerable to other vultures.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
The Elder Scrolls isn't about any scrolls?? Then it's stupid name if you ask me...

Next we'll see Apple suing farmers who specialize in fruit distribution.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
How can anyone get two games confused, one called "The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim" and one called "Scrolls".

Clearly Hellgate needs to change its name because people might confuse it with Baldur's Gate.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Ok Im going to trademark the word elder and start a business dealing with video games that has you taking care of old people in stunning 8bit graphics. Then we'll see if bethesda gets the point that you cant sue everyone for using a common word in the english language. Or hey how about The? Can I trademark the word The? Just to piss them off.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I hereby trademark the words "and" and "the" as well as the punctuation mark.
I demand ONLY 0,01cents for every use.

/puts hands together like Mr. Burns

mike fe

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Oh yeah... They have "The Elder Scrolls". So any game that uses the word "The" will be sued as well? Come on! How stupid can even a lawyer be!

oesd

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Not sure what you mean but last time I checked, TES is the biggest in RPGs. They are the best as well.I understand why they are doing it, and doubt it would end badly. I think Scrollcraft would have been a better name.[/citation]

That's an even worse name because it sounds too much like StarCraft.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I hope that this is just some screwup by legal trolls, still Notch got contacted by swedish lawyer firm. This wouldn't be cool at all if comes directly from Bethesda and would be funny to see as result them striped off of "Elder's Scroll" trademark (if possible) due to it's abuse XD

G

For all of you "not getting any bethesda games from now on" I'm pretty sure the developers had nothing to do with it. If you listen to Todd Howard, it really seems like he has a passion for games and he wouldn't want to sue anyone for stupid shit like this. Same goes for the rest of the dev team. Well, sure, they work for Bethesda, but it's not like they have a choice. They couldn't quit and work for a different company but continue to work on Skyrim. Seriously, don't blame Skyrim, blame big corporate motherfuckers.

G

K-zon:
I could understand on ideas of trying to draw from a releases name, obviously the name Mincraft is what Minecraft is called for its release, of this that would be then the subjective to the issue maybe at times, but of it at least though does say no, anymore then, "The Edler Scrolls" ??

But to say that Minecraft is trying to pick up a hype of the use of Scrolls from Elder Scrolls for in which they may imply, might be the "case".

Like Facebook, exmaple Faceimage or Facediary, might imply Facebook usage to say from the highlight of Facebook. They choice "Face" to work with the most to say for whatever reason.

Still of it though is where Minecraft would be of it, yes? Minecraft has a kinda "open" play does it not? Where in terms of patents, copyrights, and trademarks does say "open" fit for?

There is much innovation out there, yes? Or just say of it? Otherwise on some other ideas, you are getting stuck with a 15 page letter/note/notice/(was going to use referral) on some idea of what isnt within ideas of open. Or might be of it still.

Common knowlogy?? would probably suggest interest of confusing parts of "play" for it at times, loosely put, but of that though where would it finds itself to be of that of intial parts in question. To be lack of consued.

Of it though does seem within a use of (is?) something placed without too much question, yes?

As for U.S. I find this too take place most more then all. Why something just isn't called what would make sense sometimes for some reason. But those still are within what is not of lack. But of it though what is simpler does main stay its place though, yes?

Rather to say this was for Elder Scrolls or not is hard said though. Still of it though what to work with is just that of simple and little placed for it. Sense obviously this would not be a complex issue for the idea of one, as it had intially said. Right? Otherwise at each part, yes would be something the same. So with it say Minecraft and The Eldar Scrolls all of lack would be Scrolls for Minecraft.

Why Minecraft would have say "Scrolls" for its use of name within one, who knows. But to have it say be a part from something else might be the question of issue, yes? Since "The Eldar Scrolls" seemed to just use the name for sack, or no? Does this ever happen I wonder? Or are names in use elsewhere?

But on ideas of reform, of it what needs to be reformed the most? Of the idea is the place, of well then on a simpler note of issue is the place of well, what was within use before is now that of say an idea of to keep old for sack of new for old is no longer old and of new for say of it, given it is, yes?

Or to just say that of anything simple that is or inst should be said of which all to be the same. And always expect a difference. All for the same. Why that doesn't for the sack of simple can be anyones guess. So for reform of the idea anyways is probably along with it till there is no guess. But the present of issue, like the idea of a 15 pages of something to read. Right? Not to be taken wrong of course.

RoboTree

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
star wars star trek microsoft microprose switzerland swaziland niger nigeria tea tee their there guitar sitar goose moose true grit true blood.

I'm pretty sure similar sounding things are quite universal.

G

I would like to think the Dev Team (the true magic behind Bethesda, and the ones who actually care about The Elder Scrolls games) has nothing to do with this. Hopefully this tripe gets resolved quickly and some lawyers sent back to the pits of hell they emerged from.

G

Oh noes! Under this logic "the" is trademarked and we're all screwed!

redhotbd

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Okay, why anyone would get The Elder Scrolls mixed up with Scrolls is beyond me. If you have your grammy pick up a game for you, you probably not all that smart anyway.

I think that lawyers like this need to be removed from the gaming industry. These guys don't have a legitimate case, they're just looking for $$$$ like all the other greedy @ssholes in this world.

Shame, Shame, Bethesda. Btw, I

Houndsteeth

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
#1: Bethesda has to sue in order to protect their intellectual property. If they don't defend it, then the next time someone else really steps on the IP, that person can cite previous examples of where Bethesda failed to protect their property, no matter how minor they may be perceived to be. I saw this happen to a previous company I worked for, and they lost the court case (and IP, in the end) because of it.

#2: This is a backwards tip of the hat to Minecraft. Bethesda sees them as true competition.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
They have to challenge or they lose the trademark.

This is why big corporations sue schools over sports names etc...
The system is borked, not the lawyers defending the trade mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.