Bethesda Thanks Fans, Talks Updates For 'Fallout 4'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My son has been playing rabidly since the midnight release... I'm holding out until I finally wrap up Witcher 3 which I got a late start at and am now completely sucked into (what a fantastic title). At the moment it's hard for me to see Fallout 4 standing up to Witcher as the best title of the year... but based on my kid's experience I'm sure F4 will be a compelling (if not quite up to the same graphics standards) followup to the Witcher game.

As a Fallout fan that owns all the series, this is the one I will holdout on for sometime.
My brother has it, and while the game isn't terrible (he's hardcore into Fallout too) it dumbs down a lot of the mechanics, scraps others, and from an RPG perspective is apparently kind of lacklustre compared to the rest of the series. I'd wait for a GOTY if his experience is anything to go by.

WildCard999

Titan
I've been playing Fallout 4 since release and have been a huge fan of the previous games and I must say to any Fallout fan, hold off for now. This game is fun but is much more linear then previous games which I feel kind of destroy the RPG part of this game. I loved in Fallout 3/NV how you could be good/evil or something in the middle and with this game it really loses that ability, the choices you make don't really have any impact like in previous games (nuke Megaton anyone?). Don't get me wrong though as this is a fun game, just not at the current price.

fatboytyler

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
They simply phased it from a true RPG to a hybrid RPG-Shooter style. Gun play is a thousand times better than any other in the series, BUT they certainly dumbed down a lot of the RPG elements. On topic though, will certainly be interesting to see the creations once people get their hands on the official modding tool.

urishima

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

No. the writing isn't there, so there is no chance.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Fallout 4 linear? Very surprising! I was reading some "Witcher 3 vs. Fallout 4" pre-release prediction threads and everyone figured that Fallout 4 would be open and Witcher 3 linear - the truth apparently was the exact opposite. Witcher 3 delivered a very open world performance with outstanding quest lines... and Fallout 4 is getting hammered for being linear.

In all I found the game very good and most of the changes were welcome. The new perk and attribute system takes some getting used to, but makes diffrerent playstyles much more viable than in the predecessors, where certain skills and perks were pretty much mandatory. The one thing I feel they should really had done better is the console-driven interface, which is clearly built around a gamepad input. They could've at least reworked the favorites menu (which makes no sense with a keyboard) and avoided the lazy-ass hardcoding of some very essential actions to certain buttons (try remapping the action button, you'll be surprised how many actions are hardcoded to 'E').

G

While at first, I didn't really like Fallout4, 22 hours in, it's growing on me. It's super not linear. And you can choose your path, pretty much. While many things bothered me initially, getting a big picture overall really changes my perspective.

Yeah, the game has tons of bugs. People don't like the graphics, but it's a HUGE step up. The way feral ghouls run after you is incredible.

Lastly, I'm playing this on a radeon hd 6850, everything at low. And it works. Sometimes I get stutters, and very low frame rates, but usually it's fine. So don't take that minimum requirement of 7970 as absolute. It takes about 3 GB ram on average, but I have 32 so no big deal. I know I should get another graphic card, but I'm waiting for hbm2.

WildCard999

Titan

I'm not saying Fallout 4 in linear in general, just slightly more linear then F3/NV but maybe I haven't put in enough hours of gameplay to make that assumption (26hrs with character remake)? With the main/side quest I have done I feel like my choices I make have no real consequences. I agree with jjb8675309 as well as why the karma system is gone, that I feel was a huge part of the game. You could go into civilized towns and NPC's treated you appropriately based on if you where good (gifts/housing) or evil (taunt or avoid you) and the same would be as if you made a raider character and went to an "evil" area like Paradise Falls where they treat your evil character great. Don't get me wrong though this is still a very good game and im excited for the release of modding tools.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
What about performance fixes for the inherent microstutter and frame-time latency that occurs (minimally) throughout the wastelands

yea to do that they would need to stop modding gamebryo and make a new engine... those problems wont be fixed.

Please explain to me how you consider Fallout 4 Linear? There is a huge open world and all RPG's and MMO's have quest lines.

yea its a big open world, where every single quest feels like all the choices are made before you even arrive and just go with the flow.

there may be some big game changers at the end, but im over 60 hours in and still found nothing but 1 quest that had a hidden timer that i failed because of that.

-----------------------

as for graphics lets look at this game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBRYH9cBD9o
i can only find this stupidly high fov video, but look at that, the computer that i run battlefront 3 on can max the game with 60fps constant, but can not maintain god damn 50 in fallout 4, and in parts dips below 20
this is what everyone feared about the game, that it would play like hell despite having subpar graphics, and looks like our fears came true.

looking at skyrim where the community needed to patch the game for bethesda i hold no hope at all that bethesda can do anything.

this should be another damning indictment for gameworks killing game performance across the board

urishima

Reputable
Sep 9, 2015

Bullshit, of course they can, it's their bloody game. They are just bunch of lazy fucks.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I'm into Fallout 4 about 25 hours now and I agree it's more linear than earlier games, still fun but IMO not the match of the last 2 Fallout games.

I really like the new base building aspects of the game, adds a nice dimension to gameplay, and the quests have been decent so far... though I've gotten a surprising number of "go out and save these guys from bandits" quests that are all very similar (you talk to the guy, he sends you to the bandit lair). How about 'defend our base from bandits' instead... or 'ambush bandits on their way to our base', or 'infiltrate bandits by pretending to be one of them' or 'buy off bandits', or a million other possible scenarios... why always the same "go kill all the bandits, cause they're bad".

I'm not as happy with the last gen graphics, and the immersion disruptive load delays when entering buildings and some areas. IMO For open world games the only load delays should be during fast travel... everything else should be buffered on the fly.

If the next Witcher 3 add-on was released today, I'd drop Fallout 3 faster than you can say 'Minuteman' until the new W3 content was fully devoured.

obababoy

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
My son has been playing rabidly since the midnight release... I'm holding out until I finally wrap up Witcher 3 which I got a late start at and am now completely sucked into (what a fantastic title). At the moment it's hard for me to see Fallout 4 standing up to Witcher as the best title of the year... but based on my kid's experience I'm sure F4 will be a compelling (if not quite up to the same graphics standards) followup to the Witcher game.

It is for lack of a better work different...I am in the same situation except I played about 10 hours of Fallout myself then forced my self to wait until I finish TW3. Right now in TW3 I am only level 22 so I have a way to go. I also have that expansion which I may wait to play until the next expansion comes out..(taking a break of sorts from TW3). Looting in Fallout 4 seems paramount! Granted I loot everything in TW3, but I don't use most of the stuff...Every now and then when my inv gets full I go to alchemy and see if there is anything I can craft...Then I store all of my stuff.

xapoc

Reputable
Jan 16, 2015
Perhaps when its on sale for 20 bucks I'll pick it up someday, I got plenty of other titles to play that I can hardly find any time for. Just beat first witcher and finishing wasteland 2 DC. At this point Fallout4 fell to the bottom of my things to buy list.

Dave K

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
F4 is definitely more than a budget bin game... it's one of a handful of titles I paid full price for this year (3 that I can think of) and I don't regret it. I've gone off-script with the game, ignoring the main quest line and working on settlement building (fun) and swag collecting (very fun) and that has helped me feel like I'm not as much on a rail directing me to the finish. It's not a perfect game, their graphics are not where they should be and quests are far too repetitive... but it's still a lot of fun. I think if Witcher 3 hadn't raised the bar so much I'd probably not be complaining about graphics and quest quality either... but I expect Modders to help with both areas and eventually Fallout 4 will probably get close to W3 in overall game quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS