BF3 Performance / System Lag / Stuttering

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Hey guys, new to the forum and wanted to share up my issues.

So I'm getting some weird issues. Here is my pc specs.

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition 3.4ghz
16 Gigs DDR3 G Skill SDRAM
EVGA GTX 570 (latest drivers 285.62)
OCZ Solid 3 SSD 120gig (have my os installed on this and currently bf3) (incorrectly labled it agility earlier)
Sound Blaster XFI Fatality (older one with front panel for pc with inputs on it)
(Onboard sound controller has been disabled)

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 Bronze

Now I can get anywhere from 60-85fps constant on servers but every so often I get major spikes. First I thought it was lag until i kept up task manager and my fps displayed in bf3 and saw that the CPU was spiking like mad and as a result the frame rate dropped drastically.

There is no way my system should be dropping like this. Anyone else having these issues? I was playing on ultra (everything) ran fine but with these issues. So I dropped down to full on medium and it still had it. So I don't think it's the game but I could be mistaken.

Any clues?

Also note it is doing this on low settings across the board too.

FPS will drop from 80-12 in seconds then back up

This is beyond frustrating. Never had these issues.

1562960474.png

Any ideas? Maybe a memory leak? Bad CPU management in BF3 code?

Just get's bad when flying and people getting mad because I fly right into a tree or some other obstacle that normally I would have avoided.

Nenketsu

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Ah yes, you reminded me of that and another fix I tried. I believe that it helped with mouse input lag. If that doesn't work try turning Raw Input off in the in-game settings as well.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

lol im sorry but back to the problem. i second disabling anything that is not needed and unplugging everything that is not needed.

do anyone with a problem have a sound card in addition to the mobo's. they have been known to cause problems.

are your powersupplies ample?

mrmaffen

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
@cbrunnem this has definitely nothing to do with us having dualcore cpus. the games runs perfectly smooth for about 5 minutes, then the fps drops begin.

also i checked wether or not my cpu has been clocked down by intel speedstep or other similar protection and or energysaving technologies. this is also not the case.

i analyzed the problem with cpu-z and gpu-z and various other tools. when the fps drops happen, the cpu clock stays the same, the temps are absolutely stable and low. the only thing i could see was, that the gpu load suddenly drops to 0%.
in addition i tried playing crysis 2 on max settings, which also should bring my hardware to its limits. but crysis 2 worked perfectly well.

im almost certain that this problem im having is caused by a bug within battlefield 3 and not by faulty hardware or bad settings.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i moved on past the dual core. i read an article proving a dual core is sufficient for this game as dice optimized it extremely well since apha and beta were quads ruled.

i would still try and check out things that are plugged in and try removing the sound card OP

fe_

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
I'm basically with the exact same problem as you guys
I can run the Single Player with almost everything on ultra just fine, at 80~140 fps.
The multiplayer, though, is just impossible to play. It starts fine, but a little later (1~5min) it start stuttering and my fps start to drop. But not just any drop, it goes all the way down to 1~5 fps. It happens on every map, every time; makes it completely impossible to play. I already tried all catalyst drivers I have access to: 11.7 11.8 11.9 11.10 (all the three previews and the official too). Between each driver change I wipe every trace of the old one with driversweeper, just like anyone should do... I also experienced with all the latest caps I found (and also using the drivers with no cap at all). I even forwarded all the needed ports just to make sure it's not connection related. I also set all catalyst options to "application controlled", just to be sure; no difference tho.
I also tried turning the crossfire off.
I even tried tweaking some settings some random people said would help (disabling triple buffering, forcing the renderer to render a number of frames ahead); made no difference.

I sincerely don't know what else I can do... Does any of you have a clue what could be going on? Any hint or sugestion?

Specs: i5 750 stock, ati HD5970, 4gb ram, win7 x64

mrmaffen

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
i tried out if my soundcard (asus xonar d1) was the problem and disabled it in the device manager. unfortunately it didnt help at all :S

this game is really starting to piss me off. im thinking about returning it

cbrunnem

Distinguished

take it out and uninstall the driver

JesseMoody

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2011
Ok had a bit of chugging. Turned down the MSAA, changed my AO settings to SSAO and set my texture quality to high instead of ultra. Fixed everything.

Don't really notice a difference either and is running fantastic.

mrmaffen

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
after i took my "asus xonar d1" soundcard out of my pc, bf3 is working way better than before. its not perfect, but at least i can now call it "playable". hopefully bf3 will be fixed soon, so i can use my xonar d1 again -.-

AsTheDeath

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
It seems the problem I have is the same as yours, game running perfectly fine for the first couple of minutes, then gradually starting to have more and more frequent lagspikes. Lowering the settings seems to give me some more time before this starts, but it still happens, it just takes longer.
Windows' performance monitor seems to show HDD spikes coinciding with the lag spikes, has anyone else noticed that? I have a SAMSUNG HD502HJ ATA HDD, and my friend with an SSD doesn't have any problems, so I was thinking maybe that's the problem. (i5 750 and HD5850, 1920x1080)

pleasehelp

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2008
Looks like its an actual Nvidia driver issue. Will most likely be fixed when the new ones comes out.

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/battlefield-3-nvidia-owners-be-warned-corrupted-shadows-and-stuttering-are-introduced-with-nvidias-285-62-drivers/

This is like the 100th time updating a driver screws something up even more....

theGuttedFish

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
I was having similar issues but I think I found a solution. If you're running your phenom on an ASUS mobo with EPU installed, check to make sure under the settings that there is no power saving features turned on. Even when I had EPU set to high performance, I was getting those lag spikes and it wasn't until I moved my cpu gauge widget to my second monitor that I noticed that my cpu was down clocking to 800 Mhz (default power saving clock) when I had those spikes occur.
I went into the setting and low and behold there is a dynamic power management setting that was turned on and apparently that was messing up everything. Just make sure you have the airplane tab (hi performance) tab selected when you turn off the DPM. I disabled that and have been lag spike free for about 3 solid hours now.
Hope that helps!

Su35BM

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I had similar problem

I recently bought an asus gtx 570 direct CUII card to play BF3 at decent settings. The performance was great, until i noticed that after playing for about 20 mins, the game slowly stutters/micro stutter. I dont know the proper technical term but the graphics gets a bit hickuppy even though FPS was solid (mini freezes that lasts microseconds). This problem never occured before i installed the GTX 570. Even in other games such as F1 2011, Driver san Francisco the phenomenon occurs. I tried many Nvidia drivers from the latest to the oldest but none solved issue. I sent the G card back to the seller and plugged the old one in and suprise, same issue. Today i reinstalled windows 7 (32 bit) and downloaded ati drivers and same issue occurs in battlefield 3, even with fixes. I tried using the fix for battlefield 3 (you have to go to game command menu thingi and change settings) which helped for 2 days and then problem reappeared. It seems nothing seem to fix the issue. And this happens only after playing for about 20 mins. If i close the game and start another level, the phenomenon occurs again after around 20 mins.

Note that even if i turn settings into low, the phenomenon does not go away, nor does so called "fixes"

Su35BM

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
my specs AMD 630 X4 2.8 ghz
4gb DDr3 ram
500gb hard disk (of some sort)
gigabyte GA-MA770T-ES3 mboard
650w generic power supply (dont know wat brand)
Sapphire ati 5850 graphics card

Antec 900 case running on win 7 professional 32 bit (as from today, originally 64bit)

dr_xion

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
I am running BF3 on ULTRA for all settings except anti-aliasing (2x, other type off), (and aniso set to 8x) with the following system:

AMD Athlon II X4 (2.6 GHz)
ASUS M4A785TD-V Evo (newest BIOS installed)
8GB DDR3 1600 running at only 1333
AMD / ATI 6750 (1GB vid ram)
7200RPM 320GB hdd / sata II

screen res is 30" monitor 2650 x 1600 / fullscreen mode, sync'd frames

I have no noticeable slow-downs / no lagging.

Tonight I installed more ram to make my 8GB. I had 4GB and could not run ULTRA texture res. and multiplayer was unplayable. The game is using 1.5GB of ram (at most). The game combined with other things going on in the background / W7 64bit and random drivers (no other major applications running) is using 65% of my newly installed 8 GB.

I wouldn't say I have a state of the art machine and I don't have it OC'd at all. Game is great / looks unbelievable.

INSTALL MORE RAM! (and don't necessarily get crazy w/ top of the line gfx cards and OCing)

cbrunnem

Distinguished

please tell me your not serious! there is no way that gpu can play bf3 at ultra so your creditably just went down the drain.

bf3 never uses more then 1.5 gb on my system and it can use more then 3.5 gb because thats the 32bit limit.

dr_xion

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
do u know of a way that i can take an SS of the game that displays the frame rate? I'd be happy to post that if i knew of a quick way to do so.

other details about my system are that it has a workstation gfx card installed (FirePro v5700). this should play absolutely no role in speeding things up (it may slow it down due to used mobo resrouces). Additionally the system has two other montors (1920 x 1080) on that workstation card.

--

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6700 Series
Device ID 68BA
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 3150
Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 012.020.000.044
BIOS Part Number 113-HD677XZNF70-113-C01201-021
BIOS Date 2011/02/21

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 850 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1200 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 76.8 GByte/s
--

I had no intention of coming on to make claims - only to point out that adding more ram solved my slow-down issues.

I was playing the game with everything on Ultra except the textures. it would studder sometimes in the campaign, and it was totally unusable in multiplayer.

now I can play all Ultra settings (with the exceptions listed above, i.e. low AA and mid aniso).

the gameplay is quite acceptable on Ultra...

dr_xion

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
i read how to show the FPS using the console.. in multiplayer my avg. rate is around 21 fps. max rate during movements is 26 fps. max rate observed overall is 41 fps. min rate observed is 18 fps

so you're right, the numbers arent' as good as a better GPU. that said, I do alright, and i don't notice the lag.

Status
Not open for further replies.