BFG 8800Gt Fan died

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
I need to know and rather quickly whats the best aftermarket heatsink/fan for a BFG 8800GT-OC My fan decided to just freeze today and hit 107c in seconds while in WoW. I shut it down asap of course.

Need something no more then $50 USD b4 shipping and I want cooler then stock period but with good easy instructions/mounting.

pauldh

Illustrious

Very common 8800GT solution, but.... Probably NOT what you are looking for as there aren't instructions for mounting on an 8800GT. There used to be a few detailed user instructions floating around forums that you may be able to google. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118001

I put these Zalman VF-900 CU on both of my BFG 8800GT's back from the start for better performing and much quieter cooling than stock. Also added an extra pack of RAMSinks though (only comes with 8, used 12). Very happy with end result, been working well for 1.5 years now.

Here's part of the process:

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
seems to me if you were going to drop 50 bucks, youd be better served just getting a new videocard.

call me cheap, but i would just glue a fan onto the outside of your videocard.

ive done it. it works great.

I agree totally.... If your card is worth 50.00$ to 60.00$ at the most and you install a 40.00$+ heatsink/fan on it, you must really love the card....Make sure to check the warranty on the card before buying anything... most manufacturers will replace a dead fan with a simple RMA....

Ohh yea, you know how we do....... BTW BFG will replace you fan for FREE, just RMA......

Btw you have a boatload of POSTS!!!!!! looks like you are trying to break the record here!!!!!! congrats on that !!!!

Sent it back to BFG. Their warranty on GPU is for life. It will cost you 20$ but will take you 2 weeks before having your card back.

A 8800GT don`t worth much anymore, so try to find the cheapest solution or buy a 4850 at 100$.

blayer2

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
You can fix the fan yourself in an hour if u want to. Free and saves time RMA. Remove fan, clean, peal back label on hub, lube with TEFLON oil, reverse assembly. I have done a few dozen. Lasts longer than original lube.

blayer2

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
It is not dead. It is jammed by exterior dirt and/or failed lube in the bushing area. Up to you if you want to investigate and prove me right or wrong. Vince, Cleveland, OH

successful_troll

Distinguished
May 5, 2009

The cheapest way to fix this problem is
PB190021.JPG

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Thanks guys for all the responses. I went with the Zalman VF 900 CU LED version. running 48c idle 52c loaded at

720 core
1056 memory
1700 shader clocks

I didnt use the Zalman thermal compound i used Arctic Silver Ceramic. so it will take a few days to break in.