Bigfoot's Killer Tech on ASUS ROG Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]This thing is no better than the regular on board nic. Good job adding another 100 to a motherboard for no gains to the customer.[/citation]
exactly if it was only a 20 dollar markup then meh but this is probably going to add another 80 at least and out of price range for most customers of this board.

There could be so many other parts in the network that could affect network lag (ISP, routing QoS, etc). As powerful as modern day hardware is, I don't see how a dedicated network processor could help much. Am I missing something?

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Guys just wait till all the people that bought into this crap post. They will try to justify their purchase and make even more of a mockery of themselves in the process.

"Dude it shaved like 2ms off my ping, it works"

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]silky salamandr[/nom] "Dude it shaved like 2ms off my ping, it works"[/citation]
:) made my day.

Yea, pretty pointless.

on their site:

Features

Advanced Game Detect™ - Automatically classifies and accelerates traffic to and from your game faster than any other desktop, gigabit networking product on the planet.
Pointless, any online gamer already turns off all other applications, and what's more you can also do this in software with very little difference

Visual Bandwidth Control™ - See which applications are hogging bandwidth and tune performance for each, so they don't interfere with your online gameplay.
again, pointless, and basically the same thing, also you can see what app is using your bandwidth with Windows' included "Resource Monitor"

Online Gaming PC Monitor™ - Monitor and manage the health and performance of your gaming rig with graphical displays, detailed logging and complete redesigned user interface.
wait, what?

Online Gaming PC Monitor™ - Exclusive, at-a-glance displays and controls let you monitor and manage the health and performance of your gaming rig.
the same thing INCLUDING THE NAME

Game Networking DNA™- Only Bigfoot Networks exclusive Game Networking DNA™ combines the benefits of a dedicated network processor, Advanced Game Detect™, Windows network bypass, Visual Bandwidth Control™ and other technologies designed to deliver the best online gaming experience possible.
this is just a roundup of all the "other features"

this company should be reported and closed by the gov.
this felt pretty good, sorry for long post ;)

snoogins

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Not that I am ever going to go out and buy one these cards, or that mobo setup.. I don't see why everyone has an issue with how people spend their money.

Some people laugh at others who upgrade their video card, for hundreds of dollars to get 5 more fps.

Other people laugh at others who don't want to spend over 200 dollars for speakers.

Its not your money, please stop telling other people how to spend it.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ra3tonite[/nom]will this make me download torrents faster[/citation]
Not sure if it was rhetorical but probably not, unless you manage to trick the card into thinking it's a gaming stream.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
reminds me of those aegia phyx cards

whatever happened to those again? right, the way of the dinosaur, and acquired by nvidia. can see it happening with these as well

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Hermm... review here. It would be neat if this thing could torrent with the machine off with it's own USB/SATA port.. but alas.

There's a 5770 with an integrated one of these guys running around out there too.

Lots of people run second video cards as PhysX accelerators, so they really have not gone the way of the dinosaur. The biggest thing the nVidia buyout did was cut out ATI users from getting this utility. Very anti-competitive if you ask me.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]bv90andy[/nom]made my day. Yea, pretty pointless.on their site:FeaturesAdvanced Game Detect™ - Automatically classifies and accelerates traffic to and from your game faster than any other desktop, gigabit networking product on the planet.Pointless, any online gamer already turns off all other applications, and what's more you can also do this in software with very little differenceVisual Bandwidth Control™ - See which applications are hogging bandwidth and tune performance for each, so they don't interfere with your online gameplay.again, pointless, and basically the same thing, also you can see what app is using your bandwidth with Windows' included "Resource Monitor"Online Gaming PC Monitor™ - Monitor and manage the health and performance of your gaming rig with graphical displays, detailed logging and complete redesigned user interface.wait, what?Online Gaming PC Monitor™ - Exclusive, at-a-glance displays and controls let you monitor and manage the health and performance of your gaming rig.the same thing INCLUDING THE NAMEGame Networking DNA™- Only Bigfoot Networks exclusive Game Networking DNA™ combines the benefits of a dedicated network processor, Advanced Game Detect™, Windows network bypass, Visual Bandwidth Control™ and other technologies designed to deliver the best online gaming experience possible.this is just a roundup of all the "other features"this company should be reported and closed by the gov.this felt pretty good, sorry for long post[/citation]

What the "Killer 2100 Gaming Network Card" does...at hardware level...is also achieved by some of Intel's NICs, with better efficiency.

If you want the "advantages" of an NPU (network processing unit)...but don't want to spend an insane amount of money on a "Killer NIC"....just buy an Intel 9301CT card like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106033
Or buy a 9400CT card like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106011
Or...if you just want the best....buy any of Intel's server NICs...they all outperform the "Killer NIC" and don't rely on software eating up CPU time.

shadowryche

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
A PCIe 4x device with a mic on the back that can detect flatus from the user and automatically kick up fan controls in a vain attempt to rapidly dispurse said fart.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]I am wondering what they are gonna do next. Add a default usb table fan to keep gamers' cool![/citation]

Thermaltake already did that.

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Off loading the network data crunching from the OS and cpu to a dedicated chip on the NIC is the way of the future. it may be expensive now but probably the standard in the future.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]formin[/nom]Off loading the network data crunching from the OS and cpu to a dedicated chip on the NIC is the way of the future. it may be expensive now but probably the standard in the future.[/citation]

And you can do it for $30...with an Intel 9301CT...or $80 with an Intel 9400CT...so, why spend more on a "Killer NIC" just to have extra drivers and bullshit apps eating up the CPU cycles that a cheap NIC would typically use?

masterbinky

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
I don't know why people refuse to understand, yes there is room for improvement. No, this won't make a crap connection good. If you have never tweaked your NIC settings and OS settings this will show alot more improvement then if you've already gone through the effort of configuring your system for small packets which is a rough low latency setup. Offloading network data is already done or available by the any modern networking chip, check your settings and enable it if your concerned about your CPU cycles. Vista/Windows 7 has always been configured (M$ has stated this was their intent) with networking algorithms aimed at high bandwidth (large packet)/(relative)high latency rather than low bandwidth(small packet)/low latency. This was intentional, more people move big files that they don't care if it's 15 or 100 ms delayed than gamers that care about the small data that would have been an opponent’s demise if it sent 10 ms sooner. So the aforementioned OSs are setup to send large packets, so the OS tries to be smart and holds onto data momentarily to wrap it up in one big packet(more efficient for large amounts of data), than just send lots of smaller ones as the data arrives(less efficient but more timely which is what a gamer wants). So the nice little Killer NIC circumvents window's method (because programmers likely just use the DirectX libraries for networking) and provides more desirable method of handling your network data. Then they throw in all the bells and whistle programs to help you see it and go gee whiz. Now, you can pretty much go through any gaming network setup guide for your OS which likely turns on all the offloading options available, minimize your buffers and MTU (maximum transmission unit), and *explosion of glitter* you've arrived at very similar result as the killer NIC. It is a brute force way to manipulate windows network implementation, and is neither as elegant nor efficient as the Killer NIC. If you like the results of configuring your onboard NIC as such, you may be interested in the Killer NIC if you got money burning a hole in your pocket. Otherwise, you won't like it unless you want the pretty graphs. Either way the "extra drivers" are less than what windows is already doing poorly in terms of latency and does help if you care about getting your data out before the other guy, which the game uses to determine who shot/hit/clicked first, and that is more meaningful than the latency reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.