[SOLVED] Bigger PSU for Overclocking?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Just got an 8700k back from Silicon Lottery
8700k @5.1GHz
1.412V Vcore
-2 AVX offset

According to the Extreme Outervision Calculator I will need more than my current RM550x.. Also if I push the slider for my 1080 up to where the core clock actually sits during gaming I find it is already totally maxing out my PSU before the new cpu is even installed.

I always heard you only need about 100 - 50w overhead for max load from computer forums and Linus videos etc, but internet proclaimed electrical engineers (and one I actually know) recommend getting double the size of your max load, so that it is barely, or not breaching the 50% mark. This will allow the capacitors and such a much longer life span and leave room for upgrades.

So is that actually the case?
Sure a smaller one will work, but a larger one would be "healthier" for the system it seems.

Thoughts?

Solution
it is the case. running at half load the unit will perform at peak efficiency, as the closer to the limit they work the more waste heat they produce.
cooler, more efficient, better.

my personal preference is no more draw than 2/3 of total PSU. lower is better but beyond 2/3 the heat increases as the efficiency drops.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
it is the case. running at half load the unit will perform at peak efficiency, as the closer to the limit they work the more waste heat they produce.
cooler, more efficient, better.

my personal preference is no more draw than 2/3 of total PSU. lower is better but beyond 2/3 the heat increases as the efficiency drops.

Solution

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

I do love it dearly but I'd like to get to that 5.1GHz on the cpu if possible and that seems to use way more power than I thought it would, at least according to that calculator. Plus whenever Cyberpunk comes out I am buying a 2080ti if available and that will thoroughly push me over. I mean if I am currently using 70% of my PSU before these upgrades then doesnt that seem a bit high?
It seems like I should be using closer to that 50%.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017

That sounds reasonable. Since I am currently using 74% of my 550w I was figuring an RM850x might be in order.

TRENDING THREADS