Bill Gates 'Not Satisfied' With Microsoft's Innovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Translation: Win8 sucks, if it did not suck then ol' Billy bob would be saying Win8 is gonna pave the way for the future and on and on and on... AND OF COURSE THE SHEEPLE WILL TAKE THIS ARTICLE AT FACE VALUE AND SAY "IT DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WIN 8 IS BAD!"

That's what subtle criticism is for...

Anyways...

Face it, Win8 is another vista.

Fire Ballmer and have a bonfire with the remaining copies of win8....

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
really the problem with windows mobile is whiel some companies will at least lie and say they will give you updates... with windows phone you are SoL . windows 7 phone then they release windows phone 7.x and none of the old vertions get new function, then no windows phone 8 upgrades for those who just bought windows phone 7 that came out as few months before it... the hardware will run it but they don't push it to be updates expecting you to buy a new device.... I'll stick with evetything android and in the nexus line to stay updated and keep windows 7 on my home pc's thanks :) now pull an apple and promise updates for 3 years and start following through and i think m$ would be happy to see an increase in market share

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Translation: Win8 sucks, if it did not suck then ol' Billy bob would be saying Win8 is gonna pave the way for the future and on and on and on... AND OF COURSE THE SHEEPLE WILL TAKE THIS ARTICLE AT FACE VALUE AND SAY "IT DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING ABOUT WIN 8 IS BAD!"That's what subtle criticism is for...Anyways...Face it, Win8 is another vista.Fire Ballmer and have a bonfire with the remaining copies of win8....[/citation]

How is that some sort of revelation? If Windows 8 was really good then of course "ol' Billy bob" would say it's good because it is the truth no? Logic? Hello?

And I love all your descriptive details on why Windows 8 is bad, man, how foolish was I to not have cited what you said about....oh I don't know...that one part where you said absolutely nothing of value about it, changed my life.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Windows Phone interface is DUMB - did you notice Android going the Microsoft way and Microsoft going back to the early 2000s?
Android phones struggle to have an improved interface closer to that of (real) Windows on computers (real= EXCEPT Windows 8). Microsoft is going the dumb way with a RETARDED INTERFACE.
There you go, pay the price, Steve Dumbmer.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I use Win8 daily on my new 2012 XPS 15. It frustrates me regularly. Win7 doesn't want to install on that laptop and that's really a shame.[/citation]

It can be done. But you need to inject the drivers on the installation disk, not the easiest task. But i managed to do it with a XPS 13.

achoo2

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
It's pretty hard to be critical of a man whose well-funded mission is to bring good health and good toilets to children everywhere.

hannibal

Distinguished
Bill Gates does not blame Win8. Win7 is not innovative, because it has been done allready, so the mister Gates is looking for even more bizarre things than win8 is. He wants to see something new and fast. Maybe we will see win8^2 that is so advanced and stange that Bill will be happy! Nah, he is looking for something else that we allready have and win8 is not actually anything totally new, so he is definitely referring something completelly else in here.
Wearable computer eguipment, flegsible items, new portable items/products, enchanced reality stuff, holo suits etc...

From Anandtech article:
"Mr. Gates expressed confidence, though, that it's not too late for Microsoft to claw its way to a significant mobile market share. He's a big fan of Windows 8 and Microsoft's Surface tablet."

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
As I said in another post, which got 8 thumbs down.... what MS really needs to do is hit the market with a $300 dollar quality W8 phone to compete with the Nexus 4 (even if they have to borrow from Google's add strat to do it). A lot of people in the world don't live in suburbia USA and for us a contract is not an option. When I go to the store and see a non-contract Nexus 4 loaded with quality CPU goodness, and then see similar hardware in the W8 phone costing me 550-600 without a contract, the choice is not hard to make.

I've been a MS fanboy most of my life, but seriously if they can't offer a product at a price point even in the ballpark of the competition then they have failed.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
"...Windows 8 is key to the future, the Surface computer. Bing, people are seeing as a better search product, Xbox."

No, just no to all. Except maybe Surface. That might have a place as an offshoot to a traditional Windows OS. Bing is slow with worse search results and less features compared to Google. They do have interesting homepages though. Xbox should just be wiped off the map at the rate its going. It makes companies like EA and Activision look consumer-oriented.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]So Bill Gates has no clue as to what's going on at Microsoft. It's a table, even MS refers to it as a tablet. His entire speech is BS.[/citation]

The term computer applies just fine. Table most certainly doesn't work at all there ;)

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]I use Win8 daily on my new 2012 XPS 15. It frustrates me regularly. Win7 doesn't want to install on that laptop and that's really a shame.[/citation]

What exactly is so frustrating about it? If it bothers you, then you might as well do something about it. UI issues are easily solved as are many others, so if those are the only woes, then you should be able to resolve them with ease after taking a quick look into them. If there are other issues, maybe more drastic measures will be necessary, but you won't know until you try.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]3ogdy[/nom]Windows Phone interface is DUMB - did you notice Android going the Microsoft way and Microsoft going back to the early 2000s?Android phones struggle to have an improved interface closer to that of (real) Windows on computers (real= EXCEPT Windows 8). Microsoft is going the dumb way with a RETARDED INTERFACE.There you go, pay the price, Steve Dumbmer.[/citation]

I actually HAVE a Windows 8 Phone and I think its great. On the other hand I installed Windows 8 on a system for a friends kid and its just not ready. For one thing if you changed memory it would break the OS (I can change memory on win 7 with no problems) then the kid needed to use a USB wireless device to get on the internet, we tried two different brands and both caused the OS to crash. We switched to Win 7 and now the thing works great.

But I really wish people with no knowledge of a certain product would just keep their mouth shut. The Windows 8 phone is awesome. Its much better than my android tablet and my wife's Iphone.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]As I said in another post, which got 8 thumbs down.... what MS really needs to do is hit the market with a $300 dollar quality W8 phone to compete with the Nexus 4 (even if they have to borrow from Google's add strat to do it). A lot of people in the world don't live in suburbia USA and for us a contract is not an option. When I go to the store and see a non-contract Nexus 4 loaded with quality CPU goodness, and then see similar hardware in the W8 phone costing me 550-600 without a contract, the choice is not hard to make.I've been a MS fanboy most of my life, but seriously if they can't offer a product at a price point even in the ballpark of the competition then they have failed.[/citation]

They already have such a phone, its called the Nokia Lumia 920.

[citation][nom]boogalooelectric[/nom]I actually HAVE a Windows 8 Phone and I think its great. On the other hand I installed Windows 8 on a system for a friends kid and its just not ready. For one thing if you changed memory it would break the OS (I can change memory on win 7 with no problems) then the kid needed to use a USB wireless device to get on the internet, we tried two different brands and both caused the OS to crash. We switched to Win 7 and now the thing works great.But I really wish people with no knowledge of a certain product would just keep their mouth shut. The Windows 8 phone is awesome. Its much better than my android tablet and my wife's Iphone.[/citation]

I think that Windows phone is a good system too. I've read that a lot of Android users that didn't want to switch would use a Windows UI skin on their Android devices and my own limited experience with Windows phone lately has been good.

This memory issue (assuming that you're referring to RAM) is not something that I've ever heard of before nor have I experienced it with any of the Windows 8/Server 2012 systems I've built/upgraded/otherwise messed around with. I also haven't had such issues with my WiFi adapters, but I have read of Windows 8 being a little more fickle about drivers than 7, so it's not too surprising.

G

De-innovation is what M$ is all about all along, forcing De-innovation down computer users throats, is what has kept M$ alive all these years, dew to the M$ monopoly, but no more! M$ is too far behind the mobile bandwagon, and it just stepped on a big pile of horse poop and has slipped and fallen face first into another(Windows 8). Forcing a phone/tablet UI on desktop users will be M$ coup de grace for the M$ OS monopoly, as more people tire of being crapped on every other release with Bobs, MEs, and Vistas!
Metro has sealed M$ first place in the history of crappy UIs!

[citation][nom]EwIgotWIN8onMyShoe[/nom]De-innovation is what M$ is all about all along, forcing De-innovation down computer users throats, is what has kept M$ alive all these years, dew to the M$ monopoly, but no more! M$ is too far behind the mobile bandwagon, and it just stepped on a big pile of horse poop and has slipped and fallen face first into another(Windows 8). Forcing a phone/tablet UI on desktop users will be M$ coup de grace for the M$ OS monopoly, as more people tire of being crapped on every other release with Bobs, MEs, and Vistas!Metro has sealed M$ first place in the history of crappy UIs![/citation]

Sorry, but if Metro is the worst UI that you can think of, then you don't have enough knowledge about the topic to make a very good observation.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
You can't compare Windows 8 to Vista. Vista was extremely slow to do anything, even with adequate hardware. Windows 8 is fast and stable. Once metro UI is replaced by the usual desktop, it's all great.

Status
Not open for further replies.