Question Binding mouse dpi button in games.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Just bought an Asus TUF M4 "6 button " mouse - £50 - to replace the tiny "5 button" £10 one I've been using in games for years and discovered its not really 6 buttons when your gaming its 5 'cos you cannot bind the DPI button above the scroll wheel.
Is there any way using 3rd party software to utilise all 6 buttons when gaming ?

Six button and 6 bindable buttons are not the same thing. Had they advertised it as having 6 bindable buttons, I could see your point.

That said, there ARE some 3rd party software you can use to make mouse buttons act as any keyboard key you choose. So you would bind the function in game you want to that key, then have the mouse button act as that key.

Xpadder was one of the first such software, which I've used, but there are many others now.
https://alternativeto.net/software/xpadder/?license=free

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply and the link FM, I will look into them.

The actual blurb on Asus' /Amazon is "Six tactile, programmable buttons ......." which is correct but I think is misleading ,seeing as its sold as a gaming mouse.

I will probably be returning it anyway as Asus' piece of bloatware known as Armory Crate has stopped recognising it now and I cannot reprogramme any of its "Six tactile, programmable buttons ".

Thanks again mate.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Further to the above............Sending the Asus TUF M4 mouse back to Scan Computers UK as I needed to install "Armory Crate" to program the buttons and it will not recognise the mouse despite suggestions from Asus support. So yesterday I bought the Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse - nearly twice the price but its excellent.

Using their G-HUB prog I can bind nearly all of the 11 buttons to game actions or to keyboard buttons.

Further to the above............Sending the Asus TUF M4 mouse back to Scan Computers UK as I needed to install "Armory Crate" to program the buttons and it will not recognise the mouse despite suggestions from Asus support. So yesterday I bought the Logitech G502 Lightspeed wireless mouse - nearly twice the price but its excellent.

Using their G-HUB prog I can bind nearly all of the 11 buttons to game actions or to keyboard buttons.
Yeah Logiech makes good mice. I used to have an MX 500, now I have a G402. I have always used Logitech mice because they last a long time, have smooth sensors, and have good buttons and software.

jimox1999

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2016
Yeah Logiech makes good mice. I used to have an MX 500, now I have a G402. I have always used Logitech mice because they last a long time, have smooth sensors, and have good buttons and software.
Well the mouse is very good .Gaming wise I thought I would try it out in Mechwarrior 5 but the G-HUB instructions are almost non existent.
I needed to watch several YouTubevideos to get started - binding the mouse buttons 1 to 5 to the usual fire buttons etc and 7 and 8 to lance commands that I used to have on the keyboard.Buttons 6 and 9 need to have keyboard keys assigned to them in G-HUB first , which is very easy, then you bind the game actions to the same keyboard keys.
The only problem I had was trying to assign a game to its own profile - it kept switching back to Profile 1 (Desktop) every time I clicked the games desktop icon - I had to lock it to the new profile to stop this happening.

Anyway quite a decent bit of hardware which I hope to get more out of using the "G-switch" (I think its called) to open up another level of actions.

I wish Logitech did an in depth video or PDF explaining how to do all this for people like me who have previously been using bog standard mice.