Bing Falls for the First Time Since Launch

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]I cannot recall reading an article that stated 'Bing market share rises again' etc. Shame. Suppose Negative MS press wins.[/citation]
I don't suppose you didn't read anything previously about Bing. If you notice, the release of Bing in July meant an increase in search, which most definitely was reported. Bing sat mostly stagnant in August (did you want an article about that?) but then lost all that Bing momentum in September. You want the article titled "Bing increases Microsoft's share of internet search", not "Bing increases infinity percent of search over previously non-existent Bing".

That said, same happened with Chrome (the browser). It got a big jump, then people stopped caring and went back to what they always used. Same with Bing, it had a lot of hype, some commercials, and now no one cares. I think search companies seriously underestimate the individuals ability to find what they want on the internet. I don't need every site that matches my query, just one thats good enough). "Decision engines" like bing are nice, but not necessary for everyday use.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I'd just like a search engine that turns up relevant results again. Every time I search Google, I get news results. Outdated ones at that. Seems they need to pay more attention to their bread and butter.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Used Bing once, not any different than Google. Never had an issue with Google, so I stick to it as my search engine of choice.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
I personally try to mix it up a bit and use something other than Google just so they stay in check and don't become an obscene monopoly (like they pretty much aren't already). I have used Bing and it is alright, but the kudos go to the cashback program associated with them. It's ingenious in the fact that you can get money back on things you already need to buy in the first place. What's even beeter is when you hit up the right search words and get 10, 15, or even 25% back on items. If it wasn't for this, i'd say that I probably wouldn't use the search engine. So they have my support as long as they continue the program!

hpapanto

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Matt_B[/nom]I personally try to mix it up a bit and use something other than Google just so they stay in check and don't become an obscene monopoly (like they pretty much aren't already). I have used Bing and it is alright, but the kudos go to the cashback program associated with them. It's ingenious in the fact that you can get money back on things you already need to buy in the first place. What's even beeter is when you hit up the right search words and get 10, 15, or even 25% back on items. If it wasn't for this, i'd say that I probably wouldn't use the search engine. So they have my support as long as they continue the program![/citation]
i suppose you use Linux so Microsoft stays in check and Windows is not an obscene monopoly ;) this is good news indeed...

G

I remember when Google was just a white clean website with a searchbox squaa in the middle... I loved the simplicity and the lack of BS extra's, and when i find something that is what Google was back in the good old days, i'll switch in a flinch, until then? Well, i guess old habits are hard to break. (And the actual quality of the search plays some part in it all as well, of course)

G

Bing was new. Lots of people decided to try it out.
However, most of them had brains in their heads, and preferred Google's fast loading, accurate, low on ads searchengine over Bings.

In other words, now that nearly the whole world knows Google rocks, only the Bing fans and geeks stay with MS' solution of inaccurate links, spam, ads, and amounts of unnecessary data.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Lets face it one of google's biggest draws is the lack of all the BS you have to deal with the other browsers, its simple. Its not cluttered like yahoo.

Its just a search box with the company logo above it... Generally thats all I need, or want when I'm doing a search, all the other garbage doesn't matter.

The lack of clutter also makes for easier mobile browsing, There's nothing to load with google, no images, or animations, just the browser. I'd wager that the popularity of smart phones has pushed Google's percentages up simply because its easy on low bandwidth connections.

reverendxero

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
there are nasty little secrets behind Google. I am thankful for Bing, at least I know who I am supporting when I use it. I liked google when they were the little company that could; then I found out....

So go ahead, Support the clandestine facets of the US government, use Google.

reverendxero

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
there are nasty little secrets behind Google. I am thankful for Bing, at least I know who I am supporting when I use it. I liked google when they were the little company that could; then I found out....

So go ahead, Support the clandestine facets of the US government, use Google. Ever wonder why a search engine company wants to hold everyones medical information and even your DNA sequence?

lifelesspoet

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I wonder if this has anything to do with yahoo ditching its search engine and running bing. Just speculating. I will say true to microsoft form, the third version of this product is good enough to be usable.

griffed88

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I tried Bing and it didn't bring up what I was looking for, and i don't like a ton of stuff on the search page. Google is simple and always finds what I'm looking for. Google ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.