Question Bing won't search ?

Earlier today i used Bing in Edge and it worked ok but now it wont search for anything , i open edge , except the privacy tab OR open new tab and do the same but Bing wont find anything.
I type something into search box then press enter and see the site details in the search bar but nothing else happens.
The only surfing i can do is from stored favourite's and folders.

No viruses or reliability reports.... i do have google chrome and thats ok but i prefer edge

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried:
* uninstall plug-in, reinstall plug-in (Bing)
* uninstall Edge, reinstall Edge

Other than these two, there isn't much left to do.
You could also contact Bing and ask help from there, since after all, it's their service that doesn't work.

I did a bit of googling and found a thread that said its microsoft updates that cause these things to happen , i have done what you said and its working ok now ... i checked reliability log and it said during the day i did in fact get some microsoft updates that ran whilst i was doing something else.

I also got given 3 microsoft office updates that reported successfully reconfigured .... hmmm .... i opened word and the layout opened at 500% be that was an easy fix .... slider bottom right

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah, Micro$oft updates are notorious in messing up users PCs.

I have Win10 and i've set my updates so, that they only install when i reboot/shut down my PC. This way, and at least thus far, updates haven't messed anything up on the 2 PCs we have.

I also run windows 10 and the one function i miss in updates settings is the hide function.
It was possible for you to hide any updates that you did not want or did not need but now you just have to take everything , optional updates are optional for a short time but eventually are given to you without asking you.

Their are some 3rd party hide programs around but they dont work properly because microsoft does not recognise that you have used something to hide whats on offer so it carries on offering them to you.

I am in england and a pc magazine reported 1,000's of pc's getting hit with problems because an update bug decided that all of a sudden your pc can run windows 11 even if you knew it cant.

I also run windows 10 and the one function i miss in updates settings is the hide function.
It was possible for you to hide any updates that you did not want or did not need but now you just have to take everything , optional updates are optional for a short time but eventually are given to you without asking you.

Their are some 3rd party hide programs around but they dont work properly because microsoft does not recognise that you have used something to hide whats on offer so it carries on offering them to you.

I am in england and a pc magazine reported 1,000's of pc's getting hit with problems because an update bug decided that all of a sudden your pc can run windows 11 even if you knew it cant.
I just accept that msft is going to feed me whatever they want.

My band-aid for this is to delay updates until the 16th of the month and then on the 15th I make a complete backup and then head out to winupd.

After the updates are done I delay updates until the 16th of the next month.

If some update makes a hash and I can't fix it I just restore the backup.

I sure that is not bullet proof but so far it has worked.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I used to have Win 7 Pro (before that: Win XP Pro, before that: Win 98SE, before that: Win 95, before that: Win 3.1, before that: Norton Commander, before that: MS DOS) and in Win 7 Pro, yes, you did have the option to disable all updates, both optional and required.

On Win10 Pro, you can opt-out from optional updates, but required updates will come regardless. Best you can do, is postpone required update up to 2 weeks, making little difference.

Micro$oft has the idea that most end users doesn't know any better, hence why they force the updates on to everybody. Bulk of the PC users really doesn't know any better, but it's the power users, who do know better, to whom that mandatory update is annoying. And while there are some half-baked workarounds for disabling mandatory updates, best would be not to use the OS meant for masses. Instead, using far better OS would be preferred, e.g any GNU/Linux distro.

I do have GNU/Linux distro on my laptop, Lubuntu and i also have Linux Mint on USB thumb drive as bootable OS, just in case Windows decides to crap out on me. Though, only reason why i still put up with Windows is, that i like to play games casually and GNU/Linux distros doesn't support gaming as smooth as Windows does.
Perhaps, one day, gaming on GNU/Linux distro is as smooth as on Windows and i can get rid of the Windows once and for all.

The requirements of Win 11, to have at least 9th gen Intel CPU, in my opinion, is bollocks. I have 4th gen and 6th gen Intel Core i5 CPUs in use, and performance wise alone, my 6th gen i5-6600K is far superior to e.g 9th gen Celeron G4930. Yet, big wigs in Micro$oft decided that i can not run Win 11 on my machine, which is still very much relevant and performs exactly to my needs.