BIOS cannot detect hard drives (ASUS P8H77)

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hello,

Recently, I've been working a new computer build. The computer boots fine. But as I'm trying to install Windows 7, it seems like the BIOS can't find the hard drive. I have two HDDs and I've tried both and both can't be detected. I've also tried different cables to no avail.

I have tried upgrading the BIOS as well and it can't seem to work either. The BIOS is able to detect the DVD drive though.

The parts in the build are:
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion
CPU: i7 2500K
Motherboard: ASUS P8H77-V LE
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU: MSI R7750 1GB
PSU: RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W
DVD Drive: ASUS
HDD (x2): HGST 7K32000 2TB

I had a couple friends look over my wiring and everything seems to be correct. We tried all the SATA ports and basically everything we could. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Solution
If you verified one of the SATA ports is working with the optical drive, then that same port failed to detect either hard disk then yes, those drives are defective. just to confirm you are plugging in both the data and power cord into the hard disk right?
it sounds like the hard disks are connected to the 3rd party controller. make sure to connect them to SATA0 and SATA1. Then the bios will be able to detect them. if they are plugged into the 3rd party controller you will need to provide windows with the drivers before you can begin the installation process.

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Hi thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of new to building computers and I'm a little unsure about what this means.

If you could kindly describe what you meant in more detail I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you very much

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011

Thanks, I'll keep this in mind! I was testing it between IDE and ACHI, so now I know to just keep it at ACHI. :)

this picture shows your motherboard actually has 6 SATA ports. only the two white ones are part of the intel chipset. they are labelled SATA0 and SATA1. these are the ones you need to be using.

5397%20--%20h77le%20(5382).jpg

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Hi,

I've just tried that and still the BIOS cannot detect it. I've tried with both hard drives as well as the SATA0 and SATA1 ports and still it cannot be detected. It can only detect the DVD drive.

I'm not sure what the problem is, could it be that BOTH hard drives are broken??

If you verified one of the SATA ports is working with the optical drive, then that same port failed to detect either hard disk then yes, those drives are defective. just to confirm you are plugging in both the data and power cord into the hard disk right?

Solution

ClarkFX

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Thanks again for your help, I have another new build that I was working on and it too was using the same HDD, and popped it into this build and it works perfectly. Looks like I'll have to RMA two hard drives.

I appreciate the help!