BIOS change killed my computer.

Hello all, I have an old IWILL BD100 (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG) with
a Pentium II-400 proc and a 128 MB PC100 module, and I have changed
(dont ask me why) the definition of the bus speed (i think) from
"jumper defined" to 133 and saved the change. NOW my computer does
not start any more..... DEL key to eneter BIOS does not work.

What have I done? How can I repair it?

Thanks.

"bretodeau" <bretodeau@terra-dot-es.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Hello all, I have an old IWILL BD100 (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG) with
> a Pentium II-400 proc and a 128 MB PC100 module, and I have changed
> (dont ask me why) the definition of the bus speed (i think) from
> "jumper defined" to 133 and saved the change. NOW my computer does
> not start any more..... DEL key to eneter BIOS does not work.
>
> What have I done? How can I repair it?
>
> Thanks.

Unplug your computer from the wall. remove the CMOS battery (small siver
disk on motherboard). Make a cup of tea, and drink it. Replace battery. Plug
in, and start up.
This should have reset the BIOS.
best wishes..OJ

"old jon" <ImNotIn ntlworld.com.invalid> wrote:
> "bretodeau" <bretodeau terra-dot-es.no-spam.invalid> wrote in
> message

>> Hello all, I have an old IWILL BD100 (Award Modular BIOS
>> v4.51PG) with a Pentium II-400 proc and a 128 MB PC100 module,
>> and I have changed (dont ask me why) the definition of the bus
>> speed (i think) from "jumper defined" to 133 and saved the
>> change. NOW my computer does not start any more..... DEL key to
>> eneter BIOS does not work. What have I done? How can I repair
>> it?

> Unplug your computer from the wall. remove the CMOS battery
> (small siver disk on motherboard). Make a cup of tea, and drink
> it. Replace battery. Plug in, and start up.
> This should have reset the BIOS.
> best wishes..OJ

I think using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS will do just as
well.

bretodeau wrote:
> Hello all, I have an old IWILL BD100 (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG) with
> a Pentium II-400 proc and a 128 MB PC100 module, and I have changed
> (dont ask me why) the definition of the bus speed (i think) from
> "jumper defined" to 133 and saved the change. NOW my computer does
> not start any more..... DEL key to eneter BIOS does not work.
>
> What have I done? How can I repair it?
>
> Thanks.

use the CMOS reset jumper on the motherboard.

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

In article <Xns96BBAA6935E07wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>, John Doe
says...

> I think using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS will do just as
> well.

Then you think wrong in many cases. On an ATX motherboard, it is still
powered even though the computer is turned off. What this means is that
even though you use the Clear CMOS jumper then because power still
isn't interrupted, the settings aren't reset.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

In article <430c5419$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus says...

> Considering he's correct, one would hope that the OP does.

Then you're a clueless numpty too.

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

Relic

Conor wrote:
> In article <430c5419$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus says...
>
>> Considering he's correct, one would hope that the OP does.
>>
> Then you're a clueless numpty too.

Damn! I have to agree with cooner.

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
> John Doe says...

>> I think using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS will do just as
>> well.

> Then you think wrong in many cases. On an ATX motherboard, it is
> still powered even though the computer is turned off.

Of course it is still powered. When things are not powered,
switches don't work.

> What this
> means is that even though you use the Clear CMOS jumper then
> because power still isn't interrupted, the settings aren't
> reset.

A reset input resets the device. The device should be powered at
the time reset is used.

I have had many ATX mainboards. The instruction has been to turn
the system off before clearing the BIOS/CMOS. None of them have
suggested unplugging the power supply or removing the BIOS/CMOS
battery.

I think the reason the system should not be on when the CMOS
jumper is cleared is probably because BIOS data is being accessed,
not because power is being supplied to the BIOS chip. The system
being on probably does not mean some parts of the mainboard are
still powered.

I cannot imagine how removing the battery would be a good idea if
your mainboard is still powered. I can imagine how unplugging the
power supply might help, but I'm sure mainboard manufacturers
would say that if it were necessary.

John Doe wrote:

> Conor <conor.turton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>John Doe says...
>

>>>I think using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS will do just as
>>>well.
>

>>Then you think wrong in many cases. On an ATX motherboard, it is
>>still powered even though the computer is turned off.
>

> Of course it is still powered. When things are not powered,
> switches don't work.

That depends on what the switch is.

>>What this
>>means is that even though you use the Clear CMOS jumper then
>>because power still isn't interrupted, the settings aren't
>>reset.
>

> A reset input resets the device. The device should be powered at
> the time reset is used.

Although it's possible (anything is) that someone made one, the typical
clear CMOS jumper is not a 'reset input' as there's very little reason to
go to the effort of making a 'reset input' when simply removing power to
CMOS will kill (reset) whatever is in it.

> I have had many ATX mainboards. The instruction has been to turn
> the system off before clearing the BIOS/CMOS. None of them have
> suggested unplugging the power supply or removing the BIOS/CMOS
> battery.

And we all know how explicitly clear and intuitively obvious the typical
Sinoenglisheese manual is.

I have no idea what your particular manuals actually say but it's possible
that when they say to turn the system off they mean to really turn the
system off, like with the AC mains switch on the PSU (a switch, btw, that
doesn't need 'power on' to 'work). Pulling the AC plug is simply another
way of doing it, and some PSUs don't have a mains switch.

My K7S5a Pro manual says to do it the hard way and first remove all power
plugs from the motherboard before operating the jumper.

> I think the reason the system should not be on when the CMOS
> jumper is cleared is probably because BIOS data is being accessed,
> not because power is being supplied to the BIOS chip. The system
> being on probably does not mean some parts of the mainboard are
> still powered.

The typical CMOS circuit *IS* powered by the PSU when the system is 'on'
and also in the 'front panel power switch off' state because that saves
battery power. You have AC mains and a multi-hundred watt power supply
there so why, in heaven's sake, would you leave CMOS on the battery to
drain it?

How the jumper is wired varies with manufacturer. Some just break the
battery connection and you need to wait a while for it to drain, with the
'second' location being just a place to hold the jumper (often shipped in
that position so the battery isn't drained during storage). Others use the
second location to short the CMOS device to ground for a 'quick' discharge.
Those are the ones you sometimes see people wondering why their shiny new
motherboard won't power up because it shorts the standby power as well
(since that is primary CMOS power), preventing the PSU from turning on.

Lastly, you could break the CMOS device's power pin itself off the entire
circuit, so that neither standby nor the battery are on it, but they tend
to not do that because it would float the power pin and engineers don't
like floating pins on CMOS devices. Second, it falls into the category you
mentioned. You'd have, at the very least, the 'power on switch' logic
waiting to debounce the switch and 'decide what to do' when it's pushed as,
suddenly, the CMOS settings telling it what to do go to a nonsensical
state. As well as the wake on LAN, timer settings, et all. No, you don't
want standby power on even IF it didn't matter to clearing the CMOS chip
itself (and it does).

Regardless of how it's done, however, you are assured of the CMOS being
cleared when you operate the jumper if you first remove all power to the
system by either the PSU mains switch or pulling the plug. And pulling the
battery removes any 'confusion' about jumpers.

> I cannot imagine how removing the battery would be a good idea if
> your mainboard is still powered.

That won't accomplish anything either as standby power remains on the CMOS.
It's doing both that work, unplug it (or use the main switch) and remove
the battery (or use the jumper). As long as you wait long enough.

> I can imagine how unplugging the
> power supply might help, but I'm sure mainboard manufacturers
> would say that if it were necessary.

It isn't 'necessary' if you have a mains power switch. It's just
'guaranteed' to remove power whether you do or not and when giving
instructions to people, when you have no idea whether their PSU has one or
not, it's simpler to just say remove the power plug and be done with it.
Same with "remove the battery."

Conor wrote:
> In article <Xns96BBAA6935E07wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>, John Doe
> says...
>

>>I think using the jumper to clear the CMOS/BIOS will do just as
>>well.
>>

> Then you think wrong in many cases. On an ATX motherboard, it is still
> powered even though the computer is turned off. What this means is that
> even though you use the Clear CMOS jumper then because power still
> isn't interrupted, the settings aren't reset.

Do you usually stick your hands in and mess with jumpers on your
motherboard with the computer still plugged in?

http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.os.windows-xp (More info?)

In article <HG0Pe.5820$UE2.377@tornado.socal.rr.com>, relic says...
> Conor wrote:
> > In article <430c5419$1@quokka.wn.com.au>, spodosaurus says...
> >
> >> Considering he's correct, one would hope that the OP does.
> >>
> > Then you're a clueless numpty too.
>
> Damn! I have to agree with cooner.

Sorry. Living near a seaside resort, I like your sig...

--
Conor

The child is grown, the dream is gone.
I have become comfortably numb. - Pink Floyd

In article <Xns96BC9CA7BE2B8wisdomfolly@207.115.63.158>, John Doe
says...

> A reset input resets the device. The device should be powered at
> the time reset is used.

THe CMOS clear jumper on a motherboard isn't a reset. It merely
disconnects the CMOS backup battery...

> I have had many ATX mainboards. The instruction has been to turn
> the system off before clearing the BIOS/CMOS. None of them have
> suggested unplugging the power supply or removing the BIOS/CMOS
> battery.

They should.

> I think the reason the system should not be on when the CMOS
> jumper is cleared is probably because BIOS data is being accessed,
> not because power is being supplied to the BIOS chip. The system
> being on probably does not mean some parts of the mainboard are
> still powered.

However the CMOS is. The battery is there to preserve the settings when
the power is unplugged hence a computer which is never turned off at
the wall will have a battery that lasts pretty much indefinitely.