BIOS Giving Different Beep Signals on Each Startup

Jun 17, 2018
My machine is not able to boot up (this was previously a working build) and gives me a strange sequence of beeps. Usually it starts by giving me 3 beeps, then pauses, then another 3 beeps, but after that, it sometimes gives 2, 4, or 5, beeps and then just keeps beeping until it powers off and tries again. Occasionally it starts with 2 beeps instead of 3.

Originally I thought that it was a RAM issue, so I removed both RAM sticks, swapped them, tried one at a time, and then it powered on when I had only one in the first slot. After a reboot and changing nothing, it started beeping again and couldn't boot up. I tried using different RAM sticks from a friend's PC (these sticks work for sure) and I'm having the same issue. I moved the RAM to the other slots and same issue still persists. I also removed and re-inserted the video card just in case it was an issue with it being dislodged. It doesn't seem to be the RAM sticks since I tried different ones, and the RAM slots seem to be okay since I tried all of them (unless all of them are somehow broken).

Out of about 30 attempts to power on the machine, it was successful twice. Even when I did manage to boot it up, a simple restart (without changing the position of anything in the hardware) would cause it to fail again.

I am using the Asrock z97 Extreme 4 motherboard and using Ripjaw DDR3 sticks for RAM. A link to the motherboard's beep codes can be found here: https://ddr4motherboard.com/beepcodes/ASROCK-Z97-PRO4

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

Jun 17, 2018
1. EVGA 850W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
2. I use the Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive for storage, but I boot from an SSD (SanDisk SSD PLUS 960GB Solid State Drive) for the OS and games.

The build is about 4 years old. The full build is available here: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/2c5q5v/build_ready_final_check_before_ordering/
The only difference between the current build and the one posted there is the SSD.

Try booting with the storage drive disconnected to see if that makes any difference.

Jun 17, 2018

No change. Should I try doing the same with the SSD?

You may as well try just to see what happens.

Jun 17, 2018

Yup. Just tried unplugging and re-plugging everything from the PSU (both ends) just to make sure and still no change

Have you updated your motherboard to the latest BIOS and drivers?