BIOS-How to get into Bios-- What Arcane Magical Tome do I need to Unlock this Mystery of Mysteries

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I am trying to get into my bios.

It must be a secret the Illuminati are keeping from us all.

Do I need to learn a spell? An Incantation maybe?
Do I need to find a monkey paw and make a wish?
Maybe I can find a magical lamp and a genie will help me?

It's Removed ridiculous.

Ok so, lets get serious. I am trying to get into my bios, because while trying to fix another issue I believed to be related to my video card, I completely erased any drivers related to the video card and completely uinstalled everything related to that card.
NOW the computer doesn't even see my video card and it stays on the onboard card.

The driver from AMD doesn't work, it gets hung up on some "Checking hardware" bewlshit.

And so now, I am attempting to get into the bios to set the boot order...hoping that I see my video card there.

But it must be some form of arcane magic to get to the bios in windows 10.
Everyhwhere i look online they say to get to the UEFI settings, well, that [removed] doesn't exist on my windows 10.

I cant push f2 or f11 or whatever the hell else you are supposed to type on startup.
I have a logitech g510 -- I've read that some people had to use a different type of keyboard to get it to work, /shrug , I don't know.

Come on Toms Hardware Computer Elite-- Help me out!

Ordan

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
Welp, first what is your motherboard? model and such, brands can have differenmt ways to enter, one of good bets could be to spam esc or delete key, unless knowing the exact model i cant help out

Colif

Win 11 Master
Alas our crystal balls can't tell us whats inside the box, so as they said above, either give us Brand/model (if PC is a brand name) or Motherboard model so they can find the manual and tell you how to get into bios.

UEFI settings is a menu that appears in the windows recovery environment menu under troubleshoot/advanced but if your PC is formatted as Legacy, then the menu won't exist. It only exists if your Boot method is set as UEFI. I am not suggesting you change it to that, btw.

Your keyboard should be fine. Just need to find key combo for bios.

holding the keys down and kept held until its obvious PC is ignoring you, is another way apart from spamming keys.

Yeah if you have fast boot on no amount of key pressing or incantations will ever get you into bios,modern hardware is just way too fast,you have to do what traditore suggests,a lot of mobo websites also give you a tool that will get you into bios on the next reboot much easier just by double clicking on the icon.

If all else fails windows will get into the recovery menu if it fails to boot 3 times so pushing the reset button mid boot three times will get you there.

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I figured out how to get to the bios.

BUT, that didn't help me do what I wanted to do, which was somehow get my Main-Discrete video card to show up/ work.

What I did to get my video card to show up, was use an older driver I had used last year.
And now that I have that fixed... I am back to the original issue which is my monitor flashing on and off (not actually turning off and on)

enderzshadow

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010

Update- My daughter has a nvidia card almost as nice as my AMD card.
So we swapped video cards.
I didn't have problems with her Nvidia card in my pc
And she had no issues with my AMD card in her pc.

The only thing that happened on mine, last night, the cpu overheated and the computer shutdown.
The vid card had normal temps but low fps in a game I play often.
This morning however, the cpu was not overheating and the fps were great.

I thought maybe my overheating cpu could of caused the problems I had.
So,I redid the thermal paste on my chip.

The computer is still running cool.
So I put my video card back into my computer and I've already had the same issue as before.
While my daughter has had absolutely no issues with my amd card in her system.

By the way, we both have the same OS-Windows 10 64 bit version.
The only real difference software wise, is she has a Windows Version that needs to be registered.
I wonder if she doesn't have a update that I do--and that update is whats causing me problems

But who knows really, I've done everything one can possibly do to figure this problem out, outside of completely reinstalling windows, which I am unable to do at present.