Question BIOS issues after recovering from a failed BIOS update ASUS ROG x570-F

On the 12th of September, I noticed that the BIOS was updated for my mobo and say that it had the updated AGESA 1.0.0.3ABBA that supposedly "fixes" the boost issues on the 3900x that I have. So like usual I downloaded the new BIOS onto my FAT32 flashdrive and restarted my computer into its BIOS and started to flash to the new version. The flash froze about 1/3rd way through and never recovered even after waiting 20 minutes.

I restarted the computer to see just a black screen with nothing on it. So I used the BIOS Flashback feature to update BIOS and fix the newly corrupted BIOS. Just like that my computer loaded into Win10 and worked with no issues. I decided to restart again and reapply my previous BIOS settings when I noticed that the BIOS froze midway through the process. I restarted and loaded in and started over just to have it freeze again. I restarted and quickly changed the most important setting and saved and restarted. In Windows, I was able to confirm that the setting I changed kept.

I do not understand what is going on with the BIOS as it is now with the random freezing. What should I do in this situation, I have never had issues dealing with flashing BIOS before? My system specs are in the description minus the PSU which is a Seasonic PRIME titanium 850w.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
^ I agree with keith12.
You need to clear the CMOS after updating the BIOS to be 100% sure there is no data left over from the previous BIOS.
Look on page 1-9 of your manual:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E15201_ROG_STRIX_X570-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf

And from experience with my Asus ROG Strix B450-F, I will strongly advise you to hold in the Power Button for at least 30 seconds after you unplug the PSU and before you short the CLR_RTC jumper.

Last edited:
After a BIOS update/rollback, it's always advisable to do a CMOS clear. Check your manual, to the clear, and report back.
The first thing I did after I restarted when the flashing failed was put a flat head screwdriver on the CMOS jumper while the PSU was on and connected but the computer was off. This is what the motherboard manual said to do. Did I do this improperly?

Reactions: Gallent Pak

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
The first thing I did after I restarted when the flashing failed was put a flat head screwdriver on the CMOS jumper while the PSU was on and connected but the computer was off. This is what the motherboard manual said to do. Did I do this improperly?
And from experience with my Asus ROG Strix B450-F, I will strongly advise you to hold in the Power Button for at least 30 seconds after you unplug the PSU and before you short the CLR_RTC jumper.

And if that doesn't work Flash the same BIOS version again.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

And if that doesn't work Flash the same BIOS version again.
So I just powered down, switched off PSU, pulled the cable out of the back, held down the power button for 60 sec, and then opened the case and shorted the clear CMOS jumper. I restarted to the mobo saying there was an incorrect shutdown and that I need to enter BIOS setup. I enabled my BIOS settings and restarted. There was no freeze so I assumed that it worked and fixed my issue.

Quick side-note. I don't personally like how high the stock voltage is on my 3900x so I manually set the core voltage to 1.3v instead of the Auto which allows it to jump around 1.472v. Is this an acceptable way to achieve lower temps and voltage without hindering performance? I stress tested it like this before and it doesn't crash and allows me to get single core boosts of 4.575, however, when my CPU is running idle it still runs at 3.8-4 ghz+ all core and vcore obviously is fixed at around 1.3v. Is there some middle ground here or no? Am I forced to keep it at 1.3v or auto and 1.472 when under load?

Also, who do I give credit to solving my issue DMAN or Keith?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Have you installed the newest Chipset Drivers from AMD ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
If not do that and choose the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and set the Minimum Processor State between 5 and 10% like this:
View: https://imgur.com/P7pZg32

Also if your BIOS has the Performance Enhancer Setting like mine does try setting it to Level 2 instead of using a fixed voltage.
That should keep your voltage around 1.2 to 1.3v under light to moderate use and only go higher if you need it.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Have you installed the newest Chipset Drivers from AMD ?
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450
If not do that and choose the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and set the Minimum Processor State between 5 and 10% like this:
View: https://imgur.com/P7pZg32

Also if your BIOS has the Performance Enhancer Setting like mine does try setting it to Level 2 instead of using a fixed voltage.
That should keep your voltage around 1.2 to 1.3v under light to moderate use and only go higher if you need it.
I am on Chipset version 19.10.22 which I believe is 1 version older than the newest ones. I'll dl them as see how that all works with the Auto in mobo BIOS.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
With PBO on Auto and the Performance Enhancer set to Level 2 my 3700x is at around 1 volt at idle and maxes out around 1.4 while stress testing but only goes up to around 1.3-1.32v while gaming or encoding videos.
If I set it to level 3 (OC) it goes up to ~1.48v while stress testing.

With PBO on Auto and the Performance Enhancer set to Level 2 my 3700x is at around 1 volt at idle and maxes out around 1.4 while stress testing but only goes up to around 1.3-1.32v while gaming or encoding videos.
If I set it to level 3 (OC) it goes up to ~1.48v while stress testing.

So I just installed the latest chipset drivers and restarted to apply them. I tried to enter BIOS but as soon as I pressed Del all I got was a black screen which also happened a couple of times before I made this post to fix this exact issue...

Going to try and restart and enter BIOS again.

Had to restart the computer 3 times before it actually loaded BIOS and didn't give me the black screen as soon as I pressed the Del button.

Also, after I finally got into BIOS I changed the setting to level 2 with PBO on and set the voltage to auto Ryzen master still shows bursts of 1.3-1.4+ volts on core just idling my desktop and doing things to make usage go up.

Last edited:
So I just powered down, switched off PSU, pulled the cable out of the back, held down the power button for 60 sec, and then opened the case and shorted the clear CMOS jumper. I restarted to the mobo saying there was an incorrect shutdown and that I need to enter BIOS setup. I enabled my BIOS settings and restarted. There was no freeze so I assumed that it worked and fixed my issue.

Quick side-note. I don't personally like how high the stock voltage is on my 3900x so I manually set the core voltage to 1.3v instead of the Auto which allows it to jump around 1.472v. Is this an acceptable way to achieve lower temps and voltage without hindering performance? I stress tested it like this before and it doesn't crash and allows me to get single core boosts of 4.575, however, when my CPU is running idle it still runs at 3.8-4 ghz+ all core and vcore obviously is fixed at around 1.3v. Is there some middle ground here or no? Am I forced to keep it at 1.3v or auto and 1.472 when under load?

Also, who do I give credit to solving my issue DMAN or Keith?

I think it should be DMANN999. He linked the correct manual and has given advise from his own experience, which was relative.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019

Guys i have a save kind of an issue please check my post please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I just reset and entered the BIOS again. For me, I think I will just manually set the vCore to 1.3 again because no matter the "Enhancement" level I set it to it always jumps above 1.4 vCore even when just watching videos. Also with manual 1.3v it still boosts to 4.575-4.6 ghz on a single core with no issues.

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
So I just installed the latest chipset drivers and restarted to apply them. I tried to enter BIOS but as soon as I pressed Del all I got was a black screen which also happened a couple of times before I made this post to fix this exact issue...

Going to try and restart and enter BIOS again.

Had to restart the computer 3 times before it actually loaded BIOS and didn't give me the black screen as soon as I pressed the Del button.

Also, after I finally got into BIOS I changed the setting to level 2 with PBO on and set the voltage to auto Ryzen master still shows bursts of 1.3-1.4+ volts on core just idling my desktop and doing things to make usage go up.
Is it a Black Screen with a small cursor in the upper left side of the screen ?
If so. that is normal.
Mine does the same thing and if I wait about 20-30 seconds the splash screen comes up and I can tap DEL to enter the BIOS.

Also set PBO to Auto not ON and see if that helps your voltages.
And Make SURE you choose the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and Check the Minimum Processor State.

PS
Choose either of us if we ever get this solved, we both contributed. :D

Is it a Black Screen with a small cursor in the upper left side of the screen ?
If so. that is normal.
Mine does the same thing and if I wait about 20-30 seconds the splash screen comes up and I can tap DEL to enter the BIOS.

Also set PBO to Auto not ON and see if that helps your voltages.
And Make SURE you choose the Ryzen Balanced Power Plan and Check the Minimum Processor State.

PS
Choose either of us if we ever get this solved, we both contributed. :D
If I set PBO to auto it just does it occasionally which is still bad. IMO this processor should never touch 1.375+ on vCore if it can boost to 4.6 on 1.3 vCore... I have the power plan on balanced with the minimum state at 5% and tried it with 10% too.

As far as the BIOS loading thing, no. My computer locks up with nothing in any corner. Capslock doesn't even lite the led on my keyboard when I tap it which means a hard hang is occurring. No amount of waiting changes anything. I guess I will just wait till the next BIOS update and flash it then to see if that solves the issue, if not I'll be back on this topic.

Last edited:

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Do you have DOCP enabled for your RAM ?
If so, what speed is it and what exact model RAM kit do you have ?
My board will run with my RAM set to 3200 DOCP (which is what it is rated for) but will NOT let me OC it all since I switched to the 3700x.
With my 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHz) it let me run my RAM at 3400 MHZ with tighter timings.
So lowering your RAM Frequency setting (but leaving the DOCP Profile enabled) might help.

Do you have DOCP enabled for your RAM ?
If so, what speed is it and what exact model RAM kit do you have ?
My board will run with my RAM set to 3200 DOCP (which is what it is rated for) but will NOT let me OC it all since I switched to the 3700x.
With my 2600 (OC'd to 4 GHz) it let me run my RAM at 3400 MHZ with tighter timings.
So lowering your RAM Frequency setting (but leaving the DOCP Profile enabled) might help.
I have a G skill 2x16gb kit in DOCP running at and rated for 3200 with CL 16 18 18 18 38 timings 1.35v. Memtest says that it is fine after 5 hours.

Reactions: DMAN999