BIOS not detecting GPU

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
Hello!
I am having troubles with my GPU not displaying during the POST and during windows.

My Radeon HD 4850 was working just fine until I tooked it out and plugged in a Radeon HD 4670 to test it out for one of my friend. I was reusing the same driver for my HD 4850 and it worked well.
Booted up my PC this morning and i now have a blank screen. My PC was still using the HD 4670.

The onboard GPU works but not the HD 4670 or the HD 4850.

Here are my PC spec:
Motherboard - Asrock N68 VS3 UCC
CPU - AMD Athlon II x2 250
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 4850 (ASUS version)
Memory - Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600Mhz 2x2GB (the actual speed that I use is 1333mhz)
HDD - Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200RPM
PSU - Rosewill RD400 2DB
Monitor - Samsung 1440x900 using a VGA connector
OS - Windows 7 64 bit

Having listed my PC spec I will now type out what i have done so far.

-Cleared the CMOS.

-Tested the ATI Radeon HD 4850 and the HD 4670 on another one of my friend's PC and both displays the POST screen.

-Tested an old Radeon x300 on my motherboard and it, to my amazement, displays the POST screen!

-PCIE is the primary graphics in the BIOS.

-I have uninstalled the onboard gpu driver to no avail.

-Checked to see that I have the latest BIOS which I do.

That is pretty much it. I don't think that my Motherboard is faulty nor my HD 4850 as well. Could it be the AMD Driver which I already uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Also I gave the Radeon HD 4670 back to my friend.

Solution

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Download the same driver for HD 4850 and reinstall it while I am using the onboard GPU?

I will try it.

this will get your video back to the dedicated/discreet GPU's.

Remove the driver, I like to use Driver Fusion for removal as it gets all of the driver and software except some of the registry, and download the driver while on the on-board gpu. then swap over to the dedicated GPU and then install the Driver.

edit to clearify remove All display drivers. Not just the on-board but the dedicated also.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

The AMD driver is gone except for the onboard GPU.
I am downloading the AMD driver now, I have slow internet so it will take a while.

After reading your post though I would just like to say that my HD 4850 does not even display the POST screen or anything else so it will be difficult to reinstall the Driver.

My devices are properly connected.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

My BIOS setting is set to look to the PCIE as the primary GPU.

Another thing I tested my old Radeon x300 and it displays the POST screen and windows.

The HD 4850 on the other hand doesn't display POST screen on my machine but on my friend's PC it does display the POST screen.

EDIT: I am going to head out, I won't be back for some time. I will come check again when I am back.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I am back.
I decided to take set up my old Dell Dimension 8400. I installed in my Radeon HD 4850 into the Dell.
Guess what....
IT WORKS!
POST screen is displayed and so is windows XP.
I am typing on the Dell Dimension right now!
What is wrong with my current machine....

The Radeon HD 4850 is not dead.

The BIOS on the Asrock motherboard has to be the one causing the problem because my old ATI x300 works on the Asrock motherboard.

Hmmmmmm

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Are you talking about the BIOS setting where you select which is the primary GPU?
That is all I could change in regards to GPU in my BIOS.

Now for the PCI-e slot. I tested my old ATI x300 on the Asrock Motherboard and it works.

My dell dimension has a 350 watt PSU and my other machine has a 400 watt PSU so perhaps the power is good?

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

The PCI-e is the primary GPU selection in my BIOS.

I tested the PCI-e with a ATI x300 that was originally from the Dell Dimension 8400. The ATI x300 displayed the POST screen and the windows screen successfully.

The Dell PSU and the Rosewill PSU is all that I have. What i will do is swap out the Dell PSU and put in the Rosewill PSU into the Dell Dimension 8400 and see how it goes...

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

Rosewill PSU is good and working on the Dell Dimension 8400.

Ok I will switch the BIOS setting. Are there any other setting that i should peer into?

The cables are fine I think.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I am back on my Asrock mainboard.

Went into BIOS and saw that the setting was already at PCI-e.
I was using my onboard GPU .
I then switched to my HD 4850 and no display at all.

Typing on the Asrock machine still using the onboard GPU....

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014

It did not work, display just go straight to Onboard and no display from the HD 4850.

I am going to put in the ATI x300 to test the PCI-e once more.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
The ATI x300 works....sigh

There are two DVI connector for the Radeon HD 4850 and I tried both of them prior to making this thread.
I am using a DVI to VGA converter to connect to my screen.
The Raedeon HD 4850 works on my Dell Dimension 8400 but not on my Asrock motherboard.

OK this leads me to believe it is a connection issue. either Power connection or PCI-e slot connection. If you have any electronic wipes, wipe off the PCI-e connection on the card. If no wipes available rubbing alcohol can be substituted.

be sure the power connector is plugged in all the way and the lock clip is latched.

with card installed, leave the screws loose, and lift up on the card and try to start the machine to see if the GPU works, then remove the screws and let the GPU hang under its own weight and try to start the system to see if the GPU will work.

Coconut Juice

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I don't think the connecters are the problems because i tested the Radeon HD 4850 on the Dell Dimension 8400 with the Rosewill PSU and the Dell PSU and it works.

As for the PCI-e i am using the ATI x300 right now and the x300 is dirtier than the Raden HD 4850.
The radeon HD 4850 has a pretty clean PCI-e connectors.

It is a connection issue. the card works in a different machine, but plug it in to this one it does not. Plug in a different card it works. it is a connection issue.

Since the PSU was swapped to the other machine and the card booted the PSU is known good. we are back to a connection issue.

with the card plugged in, is it registered in the device manager of windows?