[SOLVED] BIOS Not Detecting SSD as boot drive option (for fresh Windows install)

Nov 6, 2021
I'm trying to boot from a WD Green 120 SSD (brand new, properly formatted, etc) to do a clean install of Windows 10 - motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2P (V3.0). The BIOS does not detect the drive (or any other SSD I tested with) and doesn't list it as a boot drive type option at all, only displays USB ports as boot sources. The drive itself works and is immediately detected by other machines, it's not a cable issue and I've swopped cables and SATA ports (onboard ports are SATA2) to check, with no difference. However - if I put the SSD into an external casing and connect it to the motherboard via a USB slot, it is detected. Only problem is Windows installer refuses to install Windows 10 onto the USB-powered drive (no idea why).

Does anyone know why this might be?

Solution
Only problem is Windows installer refuses to install Windows 10 onto the USB-powered drive (no idea why).
Windows really does not want to be installed on a USB connected drive.
That is not a 'boot drive' until you install the OS on it.

Connect it internally.

Having said that...a 120GB WD Green SSd is a poor poor choice for the OS drive.
Too small, and the WD Green is a poor performer.

USAFRet

Titan
Only problem is Windows installer refuses to install Windows 10 onto the USB-powered drive (no idea why).

Connect it internally.

Solution
Nov 6, 2021

Connect it internally.

Hi. Yes, I know - the first of several attempts was with internal installation but it isn't being detected by BIOS. I only did a check with the external casing to see if there's a difference in detection. My big issue here is figuring out what else can be attempted - I've gone through all recommended and other variations of BIOS settings with the same result.
Wondering if a BIOS update would help in this case.
I'm doing the setup for a client, they have 2 other drives that'll be connected and the 120GB SSD will be used as dedicated OS drive.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi. Yes, I know - the first of several attempts was with internal installation but it isn't being detected by BIOS. I only did a check with the external casing to see if there's a difference in detection. My big issue here is figuring out what else can be attempted - I've gone through all recommended and other variations of BIOS settings with the same result.
Wondering if a BIOS update would help in this case.
I'm doing the setup for a client, they have 2 other drives that'll be connected and the 120GB SSD will be used as dedicated OS drive.
What other drives are in this?
This WD is the ONLY drive connected in this process?
BIOS up to date?

Nov 6, 2021
No other drives, it had an HDD which I removed (Windows on that drive is corrupted so will transfer files and data to another drive and format it later) - no drives are connected besides the 120 SSD and the Flash Drive with Windows installer on it. I've checked release date of the motherboard and it's fairly old - 2013 release - so I suspect BIOS might need an update.

TRENDING THREADS