BIOS Not Displaying - Sort of Boots

lilhugo_1

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
Okay, I wasn't sure of which forum to post this under, but I chose this forum because of the "Display" in it.

I'm building my first computer and have now come to an impasse.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK - Mobo
i5 - 3570k - CPU
Gigabyte OC 2gb Ram GTX 670 - GPU
Cooler Master 212 plus heat sink
550w PSU (forget brand)
Asus DG-K - Sound Card
Asus Optical Drive (really cheap $20 one)
Corsair Vengence 8gb Ram
Patriot G2 Gamer 8gb Ram
Samsung 830 series ssd
Old working monitor 720p capable, no hdmi... (i'm gonna upgrade it)

While installing everything I made sure to test the mobo/psu to make sure i didn't have a bad board and had enough power running it.
I checked in the beginning by turning on the PC with just the cpu, heat sink, PSU, Mobo, all ram, and VGA (plugged into the mobo) were plugged in. It booted into BIOS fine and read it too.

As I was building I plugged in the remaining peripherals, optical, ssd, sound card, and gpu. Once finished I powered it on and it did not boot into the BIOS. My monitor was not getting any signal, even though the vga cable was still plugged into the mobo like previously.

I did not hear any audible beeps, probably because I didn't have anything plugged in yet.
I have not installed windows or did any updates to the BIOS yet either. So far everything is stock and how it came from the manufacturer.

I have unplugged each peripheral one by one and tried booting it, but that didn't help. It only booted into the BIOS once i unplugged my gpu completely (removing it form the pci-e slot).

The only idea I have now is that i gotta plug my monitor into the gpu's DVI instead of the onboard vga and see if that works.

Questions:
Would plugging my monitor in via dvi actually help?
If so, Could I use a DVI to HDMI cord instead to connect to my gpu?
Anyone have any other suggestions?

I'm not super knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but i wanted to learn how to build a computer.

I'm currently at work, but I will give it a shot and report back when I can.

Solution
if the gpu is connected in the PCI slot, you should plug the monitor cable to the GPU and not to the MOBO, that is the problem.(like you stated at the end)

VGA transfers analog signal, DVI/HDMI/Display port use Digital signal, the quality is better, no interferences. i dont recommend you to use VGA cables.

Any other connectors you can use, adapters will work normally too if you don't adapt from analog to digital or vice-versa.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
if the gpu is connected in the PCI slot, you should plug the monitor cable to the GPU and not to the MOBO, that is the problem.(like you stated at the end)

VGA transfers analog signal, DVI/HDMI/Display port use Digital signal, the quality is better, no interferences. i dont recommend you to use VGA cables.

Any other connectors you can use, adapters will work normally too if you don't adapt from analog to digital or vice-versa.

Solution