BIOS sees SSD and HDD but only boots to HDD (can't change priority or boot to SSD)

thetrickytrekkie

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017
Hey all!

I've tried several of the tips I've seen so I'm asking to see if I've missed anything else. First, some background:

I have a MSI 970 gaming motherboard PC with a standard Western Digital HDD (platter) drive using Windows 7 that I put together several years ago.

I recently purchased and installed a Western Digital Blue SSD into my case to move some of the more resource intensive loading games (PUBG) to. My friend gave me a key for Windows 10 which I installed to the SSD using a Rufus'd USB flash drive.

I was able to get into the SSD and access windows 10 during the windows installation process. After restarting the computer though I cannot boot to the SSD anymore. I can boot into Windows 7 on the platter drive as I have for years and can see the SSD in My Computer and the device manager (and see that it has Windows 10 files on it) and even transfer stuff to it; I just can't boot into the SSD that has Windows 10 on it.

When booting up from the F11 boot selection menu I can select from both WD drives but only the platter (HDD) drive boots even if I select the SSD from the list.

When going into BIOS I am unable to change the boot priority to include both drives. I can see both drives in the "hard disk drive bbs priorities" sub menu beneath the device priority list but I cannot seem to get both drives to appear in the boot device priority list. BIOS only lets me put one in there at a time.

I have tried some of the more common suggestions such as:
- Booting both with and without the Rufus USB plugged in (no luck)
- Booting with all accessories unplugged (no luck)
- Swapping SATA cables between the drives (no luck)
- Swapping SATA ports (HDD boots no matter which port, SSD wont boot from any)
- I have also tried unplugging the platter drive and only having the SSD connected. In this case, even though BIOS recognizes that as the sole drive it takes me to the black screen that says "Reboot and select proper boot device."

I'm somewhat running out of ideas and would appreciate any help that the fine tech minds here may have.

Thanks

thetrickytrekkie

Prominent
Oct 28, 2017

So just unplug the platter drive and install windows to the ssd again? I’m booting off a usb initially for the first time install. The usb won’t mess it up?

USAFRet

Titan

Correct.
But this time, when it asks where to install, you must go into Custom.
You'll be presented with a list of all existing partitions.
Select each one, DELETE.
Start with a known bare drive.

Otherwise, you may end up with a very weird semi-dual install.