Question Bios stopped recognizing any drives after trying to install Ubuntu from usb drive

Aug 17, 2019
I tried installing Ubuntu 19.04 (dual-boot with Windows 10) from my USB drive but I got the error "No EFI system partition was found, the system will likely not be able to boot successfully and the installation may fail" I closed the installer and reboot my computer to find that none of my drives are being recognized by the bios. When I went back to Ubuntu on my USB (apparently it can recognize the USB and nothing else) all the drives were recognized and there was nothing wrong with them. I have no clue what could be going on here.

Edit: My last resort was formatting my drives and that fixed it

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019
Can you make a list of hardware in your computer?

Maybe your hdd just went broke, and it happens just now.
I have an Acer Nitro 5 laptop, it has an intel i5 a Nvidia GTX 1050Ti, an SSD and HDD, and a Mobile intel HM175 chipset. I doubt that both of my drives stopped working at the exact same time especially sense I can still view them just fine in a file browser.

popatim

Titan
Does it have the option to support legacy mode instead of uefi? or even Legacy+uefi?
Also disabled d secure boot.

Sounds like you installed ubuntu in legacy/bios mode and wiped out the uefi Partition and secure boot is kicking in thinking those are foreign drives.

Aug 17, 2019
Does it have the option to support legacy mode instead of uefi? or even Legacy+uefi?
Also disabled d secure boot.

Sounds like you installed ubuntu in legacy/bios mode and wiped out the uefi Partition and secure boot is kicking in thinking those are foreign drives.
I've tried booting in uefi with secure boot off and in legacy. I was in uefi when I originally tried installing Ubuntu.