[SOLVED] BIOS update 5.10 for ASRock B450M Pro4 ?

mick1964

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Asrock have a new Bios for the Asrock B450m pro4, it's Bios version 5.10 which updates AGESA to AMD AGESA ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.2 which is supposed to fix USB issues.

Has anyone tried this Bios version as it still gives the warning below and as I am using a Raven ridge CPU I am not sure if to try it but I am desperate to get rid of the USB issues when using front panel USB 3.0

*Caution!!! Please do NOT update this BIOS if 3300X CPU is being used on your system.
*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if you are going to use Pinnacle, Raven or Summit Ridge CPU on your system.
*Before updating this BIOS, please also read the description in previous BIOS version.

mick1964

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Trouble is I have USB 3.0 front panel issues and since my case only has 2 USB 3.0 ports i would have to use a USB 3.0 to USB 2.0 adapter cable and live with USB 2.0 speeds.

I updated my Msi B450m Mortar max to highest Bios without issues for the same USB issues.

I received a cable from eBay its one of them cable where you plug it in to an old laptop hard drive and plugs into your USB 3.0 socket on your case.

when I plug it into my system I get drive not recognised but plug it into my wife's 2600k system and it works straight away.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried a USB hub? that way you can use back ones and just run a wire to front of case on outside or on desk

is the CPU the same on both PC? I don't know reasons for them saying not to update to latest on their boards, its possible they change settings that won't work on your cpu

mick1964

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I have updated my motherboard before up to 3.90 i am just worried about going up to the latest Bios which is 5.10

Also if I use a adapter cable so the case usb 3.0 cable connects to the motherboard usb 2.0 header it gives no issues

May 14, 2021
I have a Ryzen 2600 X with this motherboard and I was able to install the 5.0 driver and for months there's been nothing wrong, and I love my pc. Usually haven't had any usb problems since the early 3s so you should be just fine. Make sure if you're using TPM to turn that off in bios before doing any such changes!

mick1964

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I have a Ryzen 2600 X with this motherboard and I was able to install the 5.0 driver and for months there's been nothing wrong, and I love my pc. Usually haven't had any usb problems since the early 3s so you should be just fine. Make sure if you're using TPM to turn that off in bios before doing any such changes!

Do you think you will update to the new Bios 5.10 that is suppose to fix USB issues. I have 3 old 2.5 Drives out of old laptops that just connect and disconnect when plugged into the case USB 3.0 sockets But if i plug them into the rear of my motherboard they work.

When plugged into my wifes old 2600k system they work perfectly.

Last edited:
May 14, 2021
Well updated Bios to 5.10 but still have portable drives that connect and disconnect when plug in.

Are older portable drives compatible with USB 3.1 Gen1 Header ?
I don't think that's the usb issue they were having but there were issues none the less. There are usb cables that don't use the 3.0 process and they are wired with less optimal connections for devices so yes some of my cables from years past cancel out and yes they continue to be found and then disable over and over. The Best I can say is use the 2.0 ports in the back for anything not 3.0 or 3.1. That's what I do now and for my 2.0 usb keyboard plugged into the back 3.0 port it has no issue so it doesn't have to take up a 2.0 port. I noticed these issues the other day while using android debug btw. I'm going to probably update to the latest bios version this week I'll keep you posted. I thought maybe this is something where the bus that runs these ports is checking for valid certificates for the drivers but because they are wired differently it gets unlisted and disconnected.
By the way, yes I'm still running on the 2600x with the Asrock B450m pro4, I will say the latest AMD drivers are forcing RyzenMaster to be installed while in SVM and even though I have several crash managers running it still crashed or hangs when using the AMD application unless I disable it, plus you should disable all of these special abilities while updating firmware. The only issue I have is I cannot use the new AMD software unless that virtualized security layer is turned off, but also the (TPM)Trusted Platform Module MUST be turned off in bios before updating because it may think you have malicious code running through your board and could cause issues like bricking your bios chip only installing half the information. Though I am a pc building amateur I hope I have helped. But also I haven't experienced any real problems beside AMD software like I said so the last update is still doing great and stable, I'm gaming hard!