[SOLVED] BIOS Update causing freezes and BSODs ?

Dec 14, 2022
Hi, I have updated my bios and since then I have been getting Freezes and BSODs.
I published a thread a week ago about a temperature problem, in my attempt to fix it, I updated and reinstalled many things, for example the BIOS. The temperature is already fixed, but since I updated it, I haven't stopped getting system errors.

The BSODs are absolutely anything, Memory Management Error (I tested the RAM and there is no error), KMODE Exception not Handled (The most common), KMODE blah blah blah, Win32kfull.sys, and some others that I don't even remember, it is quite rare for it to be the same as the last time. They don't happen when I'm playing or having CPU and RAM under load, only when I'm using it normally, that is, when I'm using a folder, downloading something or in Chrome.
The Freezes work exactly the same, my pc just stops working. The monitor stays on but frozen where it was, keyboard and mouse stop responding and from then there are 3 Results: Stays like that for eternity, Restarts itself or goes back to normal after a few seconds.

=====================================
Things that I tried with no result:
  • All hardware is clean as new.
  • Updated AMD Chipset Drivers
  • Updated Windows and Hardware Drivers
  • Updated Motherboard Drivers
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 a couple of times
  • I tested my CPU, RAM and SSD. With various programs, including MemTest86 and Userbenchmark (The results showed no error).
  • Windows Memory Diagnosis showed no errors.
  • Temperature Checks: CPU is 36 C° Idle and rarely goes above 72 C° under load and not for long and SSD won't go over 38 C°.
  • sfc /scannow and DISM found errors and fixed them but the pc kept crashing.
=====================================

I didn't find any errors and the only difference since it was working fine (a week ago) was the bios update.

Specifications:
CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G Rad Graphics (Condition 10/10 lt 1y old)
PSU: Stock 600w 80+ Normal (Condition 8/10 2y old+)
RAM: 2x GEiL Potenza Evo 8GB 2600 MHz (Condition 10/10 lt 1y old)
MB: AsRock B450M Pro 4-F R2.0 (To be tested lt 1y old)
Bios: Updated from 3.10 to 7.40 (It wasn't a jump, it's literally the next version to 3.10)
Storage: SSD M.2 W.D Green 940 GB (708 GB Free) (Condition 10/10 1m old)
OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 (Also reinstalled a couple of times, just in case it was an OS problem, but the problems continue)

EDIT: A technician told me that it could also be caused by a burnt capacitor or something on the motherboard. So I ask to see if I should downgrade the BIOS or directly buy another MB ?

Last edited:
Solution
BIOS updates don't usually cause BSOD, more likely to fix them.
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

did you reset...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder

did you reset CMOS after the bios update? that can help.

Solution
Dec 14, 2022
Sorry for the delay, I went on vacation.
I did not clean the CMOS, it was what I was about to do before downgrading the BIOS but since you said that it had nothing to do with it (the bios) I didn't do it.
I also noticed that the blue screens and freezes not only appear when I'm using the PC, but also when I leave it still for example in Google without doing anything, it also happens.
Here I leave the last minidumps of these two months, I hope you can help me with this.
Link to Google Drive
(I have to say that my Windows is a lightly optimized one, dont know if that makes a difference)

Dec 14, 2022
Neeevermind, it seems to be a RAM problem.
Thank you for your time.