[SOLVED] Bios update causing random restarts on idle - can't flashback the bios. Am I screwed?

Aug 26, 2020
Please watch the language
Recently I stupidly decided to update my Bios. Everything seemed fine for a few hours after the bios update. But then everything went to poop. Random restarts have been occuring frequently ever since the bios update whenever the pc is in idle or doing very light workloads such as web browsing. This was not an issue on the old bios.

There's no USB flashback port on my motherboard, and trying to use EZFLASH 3 to return to an older bios simply tells me that the file is not a bios (yes, i extracted it.) My motherboard is an Asus Prime x570-p. My bios version is 2606. Am I completely screwed?

Do I have to patiently wait for a bios release to come out that isn't unstable for me? I'm almost 100% positive the bios update has caused this. I've ran memtest86, no errors. PC itself is only about 3 weeks old. Works perfectly fine in gaming and windows - only restarts when doing light activities such as browsing. Only solution I can think of to prevent restarting is to have something constantly preventing the pc from idling - which is more of a band aid fix than an actual solution.

I've reset bios settings countless times, removed my undervolt, removed DOCP, nothing has worked. I've also ran the system file checker - no corrupt files. this definitely seems to be bios related and i really have no clue what to do next. need advice. don't know if this is the correct subforum - sorry if it isnt

Last edited:
Solution
I reset my bios settings by selecting load optimised defaults from one of the bios menus...
That's what I was doing when I updated BIOS on my board. But once I did the CMOS reset by shorting the pins and pulling battery the problems I was having disappeared.

Also, 2606 is a V2 AGESA base while 1407 was still a V1 AGESA base. I suspect that should mean the same 'no roll back' restriction would apply. Asus should have alerted you to it in the notes, but maybe not.
I've reset bios settings countless times,
How have you reset BIOS settings? do it by turning off and disconnecting from mains then pull the CMOS battery and short the CMOS reset pins with a screwdriver tip for several seconds. Leave it that way for several minutes (go get a cuppa). Then reassemble and fire it up; do not make any settings changes (yet) to test and see if it works OK for you.

And what BIOS rev are you trying to roll back to? Once updated to v 1404 (or later) you won't be able to roll back to earlier versions.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
which exact hardware components are you using?
CPU, RAM, PSU
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600, issue occurs both when at stock and when undervolted (i do have the chipset driver installed)
RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 3200Mhz (DOCP is enabled)
PSU: Corsair RM650x (i doubt this is a power supply issue as it functions perfectly fine when under load and worked before the bios update)
Motherboard: Asus Prime x570-p
GPU: Gigabyte 2060 Super Windforce OC (latest drivers)

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
How have you reset BIOS settings? do it by turning off and disconnecting from mains then pull the CMOS battery and short the CMOS reset pins with a screwdriver tip for several seconds. Leave it that way for several minutes (go get a cuppa). Then reassemble and fire it up; do not make any settings changes (yet) to test and see if it works OK for you.

And what BIOS rev are you trying to roll back to? Once updated to v 1404 (or later) you won't be able to roll back to earlier versions.
I reset my bios settings by selecting load optimised defaults from one of the bios menus. This selected all of the stock settings for my motherboard. I was trying to roll back to 1407 from 2606. When attempting to do so, I was greeted with a message that simply stated 'Selected file is not a proper bios' or something along those lines and no matter what I tried I could not get EZFlash to recognise the bios. I made sure to extract it from the zip file and double checked that my usb was formatted as FAT32. It didn't work.

I reset my bios settings by selecting load optimised defaults from one of the bios menus...
That's what I was doing when I updated BIOS on my board. But once I did the CMOS reset by shorting the pins and pulling battery the problems I was having disappeared.

Also, 2606 is a V2 AGESA base while 1407 was still a V1 AGESA base. I suspect that should mean the same 'no roll back' restriction would apply. Asus should have alerted you to it in the notes, but maybe not.

Solution