[SOLVED] BIOS update help - upgrading CPU

peachsmoothie

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
Hi,
I'm looking to upgrade my CPU from an AMD Ryzen 5 1440 to an AMD Ryzen 5 3600. I'm also installing new RAM from 16 to 32GB. I've been told I'll probably have to update my BIOS. The error I'm specifically getting from PCPartPicker says " Warning! Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."
My motherboard is an ASUS ROG STRIX X370-F Gaming. I've checked the current BIOS version, but I'm not sure which version I need to update to, how to determine that, and finally how to do it SAFELY.
My current BIOS version is 3803, and I think I have to update to 4801. However, in reading the BIOS updates, do I need to first update to an older one before update to 4801? Can I (or should I) update to a newer version than 4801?
This is the site I'm looking at: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x370-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios

For a bit more of my build (current to upgrade)
Current BuildUpgrade Build
AMD Ryzen 5 1400AMD Ryzen 5 3600
ASUS STRIX X370-F Gaming ATX AM4 MoBo
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-2400 memoryCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2x16GB) memory

EVGA G3 750W 80+ PSU

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Case
EVGA GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GPU

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Solution
Yes, version 4801 is the minimum to support Ryzen 3600. I don't see any reason not to go to version 5603 though.
Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."
On most* boards, you cannot even get to the post screen (to update the BIOS) unless you have a CPU that is supported by the current version (which you obviously have). That's all this sentence says.

That landscape is changing though as BIOS flashback (you can update the BIOS without a CPU installed at all) gains traction (and no, BIOS flashback isn't a feature that can be added through a BIOS update). Also, my brother just got a B550 board...
Yes, version 4801 is the minimum to support Ryzen 3600. I don't see any reason not to go to version 5603 though.
Some AMD X370 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Matisse CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions."
On most* boards, you cannot even get to the post screen (to update the BIOS) unless you have a CPU that is supported by the current version (which you obviously have). That's all this sentence says.

That landscape is changing though as BIOS flashback (you can update the BIOS without a CPU installed at all) gains traction (and no, BIOS flashback isn't a feature that can be added through a BIOS update). Also, my brother just got a B550 board without BIOS flashback, but the board did boot to the BIOS (just wouldn't go past that point) so he could update to a compatible version with his 5600X.

Last edited:
Solution

peachsmoothie

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
Okay, cool.
I'm just trying to learn how to do all this. I kinda screwed up the actual build because I didn't do all the research needed. And knowing that a BIOS update can be risky, I definitely do not want to cut corners.

With that being said, could I update prior to installing the new CPU or should I install the CPU then update the BIOS?

Yes, you need to update the BIOS prior to installing the new CPU, for reasons I explained in my previous post.

BIOS updates are risky from the standpoint that a failed update can brick the mobo. However, the only (common) reasons that happens is:
  • power loss during the ~30 seconds that the BIOS is being written
  • RAM instability that causes the system to crash during the ~30 seconds the BIOS is being written (generally uncommon since the BIOS flash operation has almost zero RAM interaction, so you'd have to have a pretty bad stick of RAM for this to happen)
That said...nothing to loose sleep over.

Especially with AMD boards, BIOS updates are something you want to keep up with since they oftentimes offer improved stability, performance, RAM compatibility, etc. You don't have to update every time a new BIOS comes out (ever month it seems...), but 2 years worth of BIOS updates on AMD boards is potentially a noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

peachsmoothie

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
Fair - I should clarify though: can I update the BIOS say today even though I'm not putting the CPU in for a few weeks (in theory), or should it be right before installing the new CPU.

RAM instability is a suspected problem I'm also having which is why I'm getting new RAM. So with you saying that I'm going to install the new RAM and make sure everything is working smoothly BEFORE doing all the BIOS updates.

Fair - I should clarify though: can I update the BIOS say today even though I'm not putting the CPU in for a few weeks (in theory), or should it be right before installing the new CPU.
Normally if there's a BIOS update that removes CPU compatibility (this is sometimes the case with some older AM4 boards since AMD has piled too many CPU generations into one board generation that the BIOS chip can't hold enough data to support them all) the BIOS version notes would state it. It SHOULD be stated on every subsequent BIOS version that's released. I don't see that mentioned on any of the post-3803 updates. Trust but verify.
At this point in time, I don't see a reason to update the BIOS long before you drop in the new CPU. Just do the update on the last boot you do before you swap in the new CPU. If new BIOS versions remove compatibility with your current CPU, then there's a possibility you could be stuck with a non-operational PC until you get the new CPU installed. The risk is low, but it's a risk you don't have to take.
RAM instability is a suspected problem I'm also having which is why I'm getting new RAM. So with you saying that I'm going to install the new RAM and make sure everything is working smoothly BEFORE doing all the BIOS updates.
Generally BOTH sticks of RAM aren't going to be faulty. So if you run tests to figure out which stick is bad, it's a good idea to remove the bad stick before doing a BIOS flash. You can reinstall it after if you prefer. No guarantee the new stick(s) are going to be flawless either, so you should test regardless. Test one stick at a time.

Sidenote: Unless you're (probably) upgrading to a higher frequency RAM kit, most RAM carries a lifetime warranty as far as I'm aware. So you could RMA the current kit for a free replacement if you prove it's faulty.

Last edited:

peachsmoothie

Honorable
Jan 30, 2015
Wanted to update!
Everything went super smooth and was successful!
Both sticks of RAM are working amazingly.
BIOS flashing was... nerve-wracking but worked - updated to most recent for the BIOS.
Installing the new CPU was easy peasy, although because I put my first CPU chip in wrong and bent the pins, I go through and get over that trauma : p

In the end, my PC is now awesome. Lots of graphic settings are maxed now, and so much speed.
Thanks again for everyone's help!