Question BIOS update stuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2021
Hi there,

I hope you guys can help me cause i've tried everything i know so far.

The problem is when i boot the computer i get the message:
"BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure".

I can't do anything to get past this screen and im not able to get it to any type of factory reset or anything. So that's why im here to pick your genius brains.

This are the specs:
  • ASUS Rampage V Extreme / U3.1
  • Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0 GHZ
  • Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
  • Asus GTX 980 Ti 6GB
What i tried so far:

• Tried the reset CHMOS button multiple times
  • Removed the battery and disconnected power for more then a minute
  • Removed all the RAM, SSD + HDD
  • Downloaded latest BIOS, put it on a clean USB (cleaned with SD formatter) renamed to R5E.CAP and tried to install (but the ROF connect button will never light up).
  • Did the same with an older version of the BIOS
  • Tried to start with support disk, nothing happens
  • Tried switch BIOS button
  • Tried Save Boot button
  • Tried reset button
And now im out of ideas. You guys have anyway for me to go on and try something else?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi there,

I hope you guys can help me cause i've tried everything i know so far.

The problem is when i boot the computer i get the message:
"BIOS is updating. Do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure".

I can't do anything to get past this screen and im not able to get it to any type of factory reset or anything. So that's why im here to pick your genius brains.

This are the specs:
  • ASUS Rampage V Extreme / U3.1
  • Intel Core i7-5960X 3.0 GHZ
  • Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
  • Asus GTX 980 Ti 6GB
What i tried so far:

• Tried the reset CHMOS button multiple times
  • Removed the battery and disconnected power for more then a minute
  • Removed all the RAM, SSD + HDD
  • Downloaded latest BIOS, put it on a clean USB (cleaned with SD formatter) renamed to R5E.CAP and tried to install (but the ROF connect button will never light up).
  • Did the same with an older version of the BIOS
  • Tried to start with support disk, nothing happens
  • Tried switch BIOS button
  • Tried Save Boot button
  • Tried reset button
And now im out of ideas. You guys have anyway for me to go on and try something else?
Did you put the USB drive in the right USB slot? Should be the bottom one where the old style mouse connector is on the back.

Old style plug.
USB below that plug.
USB below that USB * that one.

May 15, 2021
Yea, though the documentation states that you need to presse the ROG button until the BIOS light blinks. I'm not getting any lights blinking anywhere.
Hi, I am having same message "bios is updating. do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." as you had and have also tried everything you mention, exept that when I use the BIOS FlashBack, the BIOS led starts blinking constantly for about 6-7 minutes and then it is not lightened anymore. I assume there is a BIOS update going on there but when my PS is restarted, I first get the usual "press del/f2" to enter bios, but pressing any of those keys have no affect, and then I get the "bios is updating..." message again and the PC is stuck. My question is if you have found a solution to your problem?
My settings are
ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2x16GB)
ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER
Windows 10 Home 32-bit 64-bit Swedish USB (Retail).

Reactions: AugusGils

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Hi, I am having same message "bios is updating. do not shut down or reset the system to prevent system bootup failure." as you had and have also tried everything you mention, exept that when I use the BIOS FlashBack, the BIOS led starts blinking constantly for about 6-7 minutes and then it is not lightened anymore. I assume there is a BIOS update going on there but when my PS is restarted, I first get the usual "press del/f2" to enter bios, but pressing any of those keys have no affect, and then I get the "bios is updating..." message again and the PC is stuck. My question is if you have found a solution to your problem?
My settings are
ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI
Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 1TB
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2x16GB)
ASUS Dual GeForce® GTX 1660 SUPER
Windows 10 Home 32-bit 64-bit Swedish USB (Retail).
You should start your own thread, not hijack another's. Thank you.

Reactions: merksell
Status
Not open for further replies.