ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Hi!

So I bought a R7 3700X this summer along with the b450 pro carbon. Flashing the bios went well, but i have only been able to reach ~4275 mhz at maxiumum. Now, MSI has released new BIOS versions since I flashed it and I'm wondering if I should update it again? Everything works 100% fine otherwise, no crashes or bluescreens ever. Should I just keep it as it is? Is it a risk to just normally update the bios this time, when I'm not flashing from a USB drive?

Solution
Hi!

So I bought a R7 3700X this summer along with the b450 pro carbon. Flashing the bios went well, but i have only been able to reach ~4275 mhz at maxiumum. Now, MSI has released new BIOS versions since I flashed it and I'm wondering if I should update it again? Everything works 100% fine otherwise, no crashes or bluescreens ever. Should I just keep it as it is? Is it a risk to just normally update the bios this time, when I'm not flashing from a USB drive?

Normally, yes it's an unecessary risk to update BIOS. But the benefit of getting the latest BIOS for operating a 3700X is worth it. Only do it, though, if the BIOS has AGESA 1004b in it; the MSI notes should say if it does. If the rev just prior to the latest has it...
Hi!

Normally, yes it's an unecessary risk to update BIOS. But the benefit of getting the latest BIOS for operating a 3700X is worth it. Only do it, though, if the BIOS has AGESA 1004b in it; the MSI notes should say if it does. If the rev just prior to the latest has it, then this one most likely does too even if it doesn't say what it is.

Update BIOS using M-Flash screen this time. Before launching M-Flash though be sure to do a 'load all BIOS defaults' from the 'save' screen and re-start back into BIOS. It helps, trust me.

Once you've updated the BIOS (not before) also update to the latest AMD Chipset Drivers... you can find them on AMD's web site. If you'd already done that, do it again after the BIOS update.

After those updates you should be boosting to max rated clocks during light, bursting work loads. That's something like running a Defender Quick Virus scan.

Solution

ludvig.adelroth

Prominent
Jul 7, 2018
Normally, yes it's an unecessary risk to update BIOS. But the benefit of getting the latest BIOS for operating a 3700X is worth it. Only do it, though, if the BIOS has AGESA 1004b in it; the MSI notes should say if it does. If the rev just prior to the latest has it, then this one most likely does too even if it doesn't say what it is.

Update BIOS using M-Flash screen this time. Before launching M-Flash though be sure to do a 'load all BIOS defaults' from the 'save' screen and re-start back into BIOS. It helps, trust me.

Once you've updated the BIOS (not before) also update to the latest AMD Chipset Drivers... you can find them on AMD's web site. If you'd already done that, do it again after the BIOS update.

After those updates you should be boosting to max rated clocks during light, bursting work loads. That's something like running a Defender Quick Virus scan.
When you say update chipset drivers, how exactly do you mean? I'm farily experienced with pc's, but not drivers so much. Do you mean unistall, and then re-download and installing again? How do you even unistall such drivers?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Reactions: drea.drechsler