BIOS USB stick Issue

cooldude8530

Reputable
Jan 19, 2016
Ok so I recently built a new PC for someone and i was away to install windows 10 onto it when i noticed that the usb that i had inserted before i had turned it on was not showing in the bios boot menu so i tried it many times in every port until i attempted to use it in my PC where it doesn't show up either. I mean it wasn't much of a loss everything on it was backed up the day before such as the school files i had but i am more curious how to prevent it from happening with the one i just ordered as it must have been something i did or an extremely unhappy coincidence. (Is it possible for it to have been sent to much power)?

I've had bad power corrupt an external USB hard drive in the past. Also - magnets. If the flash drive got near anything magnetic, it could damage it as well. It could also have simply degraded on it's own. Flash memory does have a finite number of read/write operations. Also check the BIOS for "legacy" or "legacy USB" or "legacy boot" options.

One more...If it is USB 3.0 the BIOS/UEFI may not support it. (OS driver may be required for 3.0 or 3.1)