[SOLVED] Bios vs CPUz vs Ryzen Master vs Gigabyte easy tun

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I just built a new pc, see sig line. The ram ( 32Gb 4x8 Patriot C-19 DDR4 4000Mhz) is scoring very bad on benchmarks. While i was looking at the speeds, i am getting different speeds from different software.

Bios xmp profile 1 - 2137Mhz
CPUz - 1064Mhz on the memory tab
CPUz - 1066Mhz on the SPD tab
Gig easy tune - 2130Mhz

Two questions.
1. Why are scores low? Just <Mod Edit> RAM? Timings 19.0 19 19 39 68
2.. Why are the different softwares having different speeds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The "1066 Mhz" numbers are just another way of reporting a 2133 data rate. With DDR RAM, the actual clock rate will be half of the advertised number, since the RAM is able to perform two accesses per clock, hence the "Double Data Rate" that "DDR" is referring to. Some utilities list the data rate, while others list the actual clock rate, though there might be some slight variance in the numbers they report.

In any case, you obviously don't want to be running at DDR4-2133 speed. That's what DDR4 will often run at by default if an XMP profile is not enabled in the BIOS. You'll want to enable a faster XMP profile to get the RAM running at a faster speed.

However, one thing to note is that Ryzen 3000 processors are generally limited...
The "1066 Mhz" numbers are just another way of reporting a 2133 data rate. With DDR RAM, the actual clock rate will be half of the advertised number, since the RAM is able to perform two accesses per clock, hence the "Double Data Rate" that "DDR" is referring to. Some utilities list the data rate, while others list the actual clock rate, though there might be some slight variance in the numbers they report.

In any case, you obviously don't want to be running at DDR4-2133 speed. That's what DDR4 will often run at by default if an XMP profile is not enabled in the BIOS. You'll want to enable a faster XMP profile to get the RAM running at a faster speed.

However, one thing to note is that Ryzen 3000 processors are generally limited to a maximum of somewhere around DDR4-3600 to DDR4-3800 while maintaining a 1:1 infinity fabric ratio. It's technically possible for them to run at faster speeds, but they will need to change that ratio to 2:1, which cuts the speed of the infinity fabric in half and can negatively impact performance in some things like games. So you might need to reduce the speed to something like 3600, 3733, or maybe 3800 to maintain that 1:1 ratio. The exact limit may depend on the processor.

Solution

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
After tightening the timings to 16, 20 , 12, 36, 60, 1t, the rest Auto. Rebooted stress tested and it worked. My passmark memory score came up 30% to 94th% from 66th%. Now off to benchmark some games.

Edit: userbenchmark also had 30% better scores for RAM. It also showed better scores for GPU, CPU just from underclocking the RAM and tightening timings.

Div 2 had very nice FPS increases.

Thanks cryoburner for the help.

Last edited: