Question BIOS wont recognize my M.2 ssd as boot drive?

Jan 3, 2020
Hi.

I got an m.2 ssd for christmas (Corsair MP510) and wanted to migrate my OS to this drive to use it as boot drive for faster OS and such. The other drive i have is a 1TB HDD which is partitioned into two, one being the boot drive. So i watched and red tutorials, installed the m.2 and cloned my boot partition to the m.2. I knew that I had to set the boot prio straight so i went ahead and did that aswell. After rebooting a couple of times and checking over and over i still cant seem to get it right. It still says that my boot drive is C: (the HDD) even though i have cloned the files to the SSD. The drive icon on the "this pc" tab for C: (the original boot drive) still has a windows logo on it aswell. This is way out of my league and I cant get it right. Please help.

Specs:
OS - Windows 10 Pro 64bit
MB - MSI Gaming M7
CPU - Intel core i7700k
HDD - WD 1TB HDD
M.2 SSD - Corsair Force MP510 480GB NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4

USAFRet

Titan
If the system can still run 100% from the original HDD, redo this clone operation.

Exactly like this:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive (Modify this if you want to leave off a second data partition)
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Jan 3, 2020
If the system can still run 100% from the original HDD, redo this clone operation.

Exactly like this:

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive (Modify this if you want to leave off a second data partition)
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Sector sizes are diffrent, can't clone.

USAFRet

Titan
Ok. So I just need a clean windows install on the SSD. I can do this on my current system without harming the current source disk (the HDD)?
While you're doing the new install, you have the old drive disconnected.

Any applications on that old drive will be null and void. They won't work with the new OS.

Jan 3, 2020
While you're doing the new install, you have the old drive disconnected.

Any applications on that old drive will be null and void. They won't work with the new OS.
Ok, but ill still be able to use the old HDD as mass storage right? After the installation of Windows on the SSD i just plug the old drive back in and format it?

Jan 3, 2020
Ok so I’m installing windows right now, once i was done with the main part i was expecting to head on to the configuration part, chosing which apps i want and cortana and such but my pc just restarted and started the installation over as if it didnt work.. what am I doing wrong? (First timer)

USAFRet

Titan
Ok so I’m installing windows right now, once i was done with the main part i was expecting to head on to the configuration part, chosing which apps i want and cortana and such but my pc just restarted and started the installation over as if it didnt work.. what am I doing wrong? (First timer)
At what point did you remove the USB you booted from?

Jan 3, 2020
At what point did you remove the USB you booted from?
I havent removed it yet. i plugged it in, started installation, when core files were done it wanted to restart, i restarted and it put me back to the same setup screen as i had first time installing it. When should i remove the usb? It is installed on my m.2 now so should i remove usb and boot from m.2?

USAFRet

Titan
Consider the boot order in the BIOS.
If the USB is first, when the system restarts...it will go down the order of devices.
If the USB is first...thats what it will do.

The drive you want the OS on should be first.

Try just powering off, and removing the USB
Then power up, and the install should continue.

Jan 3, 2020
Moved the m.2 up to the top of the list, when i reboot it only says ”reboot and select proper bootdevice or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”.. do i have my bios configured correctly?