Biostar Prepares For Ryzen With New AM4 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why do these have video support? Aren't all initial Ryzen chips GPU-less?

@Andy Chow.

All of Ryzen will be on AM4 which means that you could throw a raven ridge APU in there as well. I think that is a nice move, as you can now buy an APU and still upgrade latter without needing a new motherboard. (although if IPC is up as much as they claim you could just get a new GPU)

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do we even yet know about Ryzen's PCIe specs?

That's one thing I loved about the old HyperTransport-based CPUs - gobs of I/O bandwidth (at least, back in the days of PCIe 2).

Update: it seems AM4 will support up to 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes.

kenjitamura

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
D&^* it. Ryzen's finally coming out and some unexpected crisis over the last several months have put my finances in a bind. I can't justify the expenses of upgrades or a new system to myself right now when my current Athlon II and GT 640 are still going strong. Darn my frequent case dusting, heat sink dusting, thermal paste replacing, and consistent three year power supply replacing habits.

Vowing to myself within the next year though. If I'm going to end up having to wait that long I'm going to commit to at least an 8 core Ryzen and upper mid-range Vega combo though >.<

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

If you do a search you will see pretty much every board manufacturer has leaked info about a m-itx am4 board coming out.
They aren't stupid. They will release products anywhere they will sell.

I've never seen a biostar board before (heard of the brand but never seen anyone buy them). I assume they are just barebones and very low end which is a segment I don't shop in?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
WTF? Just buy decent PSUs, and you can reuse them for multiple builds. 5 year warranties aren't uncommon, and a few even have 10 years!

I assume you have a good UPS, BTW. This is probably helpful in extending your PSU (and system) life. When you buy a UPS, make sure to get one that's PFC-compatible.

InvalidError

Titan

Most PFC chips are compatible with non-sinusoidal input but they need a little time to detect the change in input waveform. With many PSUs having hold-up time around 10ms, the UPS' 4-8ms transfer time eats a considerable chunk of that and other factors (ex.: unclean waveform or voltage sag before transfer) may further reduce the PSU's hold-up capacity to the point where transfer to the UPS may be too slow. I suspect that's the main reason for PSUs failing to play nice with some UPS under some circumstances.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
I don't get it.
Single M.2 automatically disqualifies the product from me.
Price/Capacity of SSD is now great, where a primary drive of 2x 250ish GB SSDs in Raid 0 should be mainstream. Especially for Biostar....

uglyduckling81

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011

Yeah mate no probs.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10990/amd-announces-x370-motherboards-for-am4-laying-the-groundwork-for-ryzen

This was the first or second result from my search. I'm not going to list every site but you will get the idea from here.

17 mobos listed on this site, 5 of which are M-Itx boards. 1 Asus, 1 Asrock, 1 Gigabyte, 2 MSI.
5 from 17 listed is a pretty good start. Just look for boards with M in the title and your in business.

I'm going to be building a small form factor Ryzen build myself so I have been keeping an eye out for them.

I won't argue against that AM3 was left out in the cold as I haven't built an AMD PC in over 10 years. I only build gaming rigs for people and Intel have just been the better choice in that regard.

I also agree that m-itx have generally had to wait longer in the past, though I have noticed Intel boards for Skylake and especially Kaby have had a good selection at or around launch. Small form factor is a lot more popular these days and the manufacturers are definitely aware of it.

Also you will find most paid youtubers are very careful about what they report in regard to leaks. If they break NDAs or upset manufacturers they might find themselves left out in the cold. Most often they wait until things are official and NDAs are lifted. Occasionally I see them talking about something on WCCFTech but it's fairly rare.

Anyways I've rambled enough. Good luck with your Ryzen build, lets all pray they have better IPC than a 7700k and better MT capability than a 6950 and all for less than $100 ;)

alextheblue

Distinguished

Before Ryzen even comes out, you already have Bristol Ridge APUs. Those are AM4. But even if that wasn't the case... you know AM4 is going to support APUs. You'd be a fool to release a motherboard design that wasn't compatible with upcoming APUs, because then you'd have to re-release your entire lineup when the APUs hit.

On a related note, although I am a discrete graphics guy myself, the next-gen APUs will likely be pretty impressive. Modern GCN with a decent amount of shaders + Ryzen cores? That has the potential to be mid-range game-capable in a small form factor with no discrete GPU.

As far as graphics-less Ryzen processors go, if pricing rumors are remotely accurate, the Ryzen 3 will be very interesting in the budget arena. It's unlocked, with 4C/4T, substantially cheaper than i3-7350K or current entry-level i5 models, and overclocks on a mainstream B350 chipset. I'm seeing the base model R3 rumored at $130. That's going to shake things up on the lower end of the market quite a bit.

G

Is Bristol Ridge a real thing? Can't find their CPU or any AM4 motherboard on the market.

I get that you would want some motherboards with video support, but not all. I,d rather they take the space and give us a few more USB-C ports.

I also think it's going to lead to market confusion. Many "commoners" are going to buy the boards because they see it has a HDMI port, then return and complain when that port doesn't work.

Short answer: Yes and no.

Yes Bristol Ridge is a real thing but no you wont find it on the market.

AMD made it OEM thing only. So only companies like Dell, HP, ect have them.

Example here: http://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-elitedesk-705-g2-microtower-pc-p-w5y68ut-aba--1?jumpid=ba_r329_hhocse&aoid=174259&003=6663635&010=W5Y68UT%23ABA&CAWELAID=120281700000044841&CATARGETID=120281700000149009&cadevice=c

Im guessing they did it to use the big companies to help them test the socket and chipset for any last minute issues that didn't show up in there own test before ryzen came around. They certainly dont need issues with a important launch coming up like what happen to intel with their P/H67 chipset years ago.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/cougar-point-sandy-bridge-sata-error,12108.html

I get that you would want some motherboards with video support, but not all. I,d rather they take the space and give us a few more USB-C ports.

I also think it's going to lead to market confusion. Many "commoners" are going to buy the boards because they see it has a HDMI port, then return and complain when that port doesn't work.

For more usb-c ports, I agree with you there. (although Im sure there isn't much bandwidth left to add too many more type-c ports)

As for the 2nd part, well.... If the "commoner" didn't do their home work... then it's their fault.... It's not like AMD hasn't been doing this on there FM2(+) motherboards for a while now. You can buy an APU that has the graphics or you can buy an Athlon cpu and have non functional HDMI/DVI/DP ports. So i see this as more of a mute point. :/

InvalidError

Titan

You can have 50 ports and it'll work fine as long as you use fewer of them than you have available bandwidth. I doubt many people frequently use more than two ports at full speed at a time. Personally, large transfers are usually between an internal HDD/SSD and one external device, so I rarely have more than one USB3 port active at a time. Also, since USB3 is double-simplex, copying/moving data from device A to device B over USB3 still only use one port worth of R+W bandwidth.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

"hundreds of thousands of builders wanted M-Itx FM2+/AM3+ boards" REALLY? How did you get these numbers? Pretty impressive sounding, with "hundreds of thousands of builders".. Can you link me to the market research reports that prove this? smh

DownwithEA

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Alright Tom’s I’ve stuck with ya for many years and you have only gotten worse. I’m sick of all these obnoxious/gross ads and so are many others. Thanks for the years but guru3d.com is what you use to be. Mild ads and good news that I want to see. Plus is has a great community. Try it out if you miss the old Tom’s site. I’m tired of this ad infested site.

Also Ryzen is a week away from launch and there’s been next to nothing in your news feed about it. Granted there’s plenty of rumors but at least mention more of the manufactures’ boards or something. I heard about this Biostar AM4 board last week. Whether Intel or AMD fanboy, it’s still exciting.

logainofhades

Titan

I used biostar, with great success, in the AM2/AM2+ days. Their AMD boards, for whatever reason, were always better than their intel ones, back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS