Biostar's BTC-24GH ASIC Board is Equal to 30 Radeon 7970s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamontiego

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
I just bought CryoVenom R9 290 graphics card... because I couldn't wait for the price to dropped. Then, of course, they come out with this the day after I order it... the universe hates me.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I really wish that a better solution is made for light coins as that would be a big relief on the gpu prices.

I would really like to upgrade my GPU this summer... it would be nice if all of the miners would move to a platform like this so that we can see GPU prices correct down to where they ought to be.

InvalidError

Titan
Bitcoin has been dominated by ASIC miners for about two years already so this new Bitcoin-oriented board is unlikely to have that much of an effect on GPU mining - people who wanted ASIC miners for BTC already own one or more similar boards.

For people doing Scrypt mining like Litecoin, that new board is completely useless and GPUs remain the most cost-effective off-the-shelf option.

shardey

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
This is for BTC.. No one who mines with a GPU mines BTC with it.Nvidia has maxwell performing well for mining efficiency. Lately, prices of r9 series have been seen at or almost near MSRP, you just have to keep looking on Newegg and other places constantly.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If I were AMD, i'd buy the rights to this and seal it shut. But in all honesty I hope it works and is cheap. Its about time a major corporation starts building these, Scam artist Butterfly labs is making a killing.But another thing to consider is why doesnt Biostar just make their own mining team with these? Should be more profitable.

fkr

Splendid
first of all this board is crap, it is based of 1st gen asics chips and consumes 5x more power than current asics chips. second this is a daughter board not a motherboard.thirdly coinex got hacked again today and all ffunds are lost. CEO says they will pay back out of pocket again. this is the second time and he admits to covering other losses from hacks.fourth we will talk about the big increase in litecoin value. they are trending upward very quickly and are outpacing bitcoin by a margin. this is good becasue the new asics for litecoin are going to be released in july 2014.this all adds up to a quick normalization in the prices of GPU's. Instability in markets from a security standpoint are going to minimize the uptake of mining by amateurs. also with the new asics coming out we will see the influence of GPU mining drop of the face of the earth since they will not be able to hash at a sufficient rate.sadly I have no gaming ability right because I sold my CF 7870 tahiti le and twin frzr 7950 for a good profit. So these prices need to drop quick.

Anonymous1one

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
This is stupid, I just ordered a 600GH/s miner from BFL. I feel as though 600GH/s is nothing at the current difficulty. This equipment is old and outdated, I'll make more money with one 7970 mining scrypt... Not to mention 30...

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
bitcoin is built on a house of cards , as soon as people's confidence is shaken and they loose their butts due to regulators, bitcoin heists, or other unforeseeable events, the whole thing will come tumbling down. Mantle willl be at least 2 years before it will mature, and directx is planning on "closer to the metal"programmability and optimizations as well. I bought my r9 280x for 295.00 with shop runner and 5 % promo code from newegg before the prices soared. It was a great deall compared to the 770 that was 60 bucks more. At current prices I see no benefit in buying Amd for gaming for any card that is artificially inflated for mining.

InvalidError

Titan

Selling hardware = guaranteed immediate profit regardless of what happens to the crypto-currency later and the cost curve.
Running your own farm = hypothetical future profit with the risk of currencies crashing before you get a chance to cash out of the crypto-mining business.

This is a lot like court battles: only lawyers are guaranteed to win no matter which way things pan out in the long run.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
24GH out of 130Watts is atrocious. Antminer S1 (which is old by now) is 200GH for around 500Watts or so... The Antminer S2 (just now coming out) is 1TH (1000GH) for 1000Watts.

Machinegun Kelly

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
I don't understand why AMD just doesn't release a line of cards specifically geared towards mining. They are already top dogs in the OEM GPU world for this niche, why not rebrand their flagships with a couple tweaks for performence, oversized cooling options? This would relieve the price gouging from 3rd party resellers and allow them to cater specifically for another market.

InvalidError

Titan

How would that help? If AMD's board partners sell premium-priced mining models, miners who do not want to pay that premium will stick to standard versions of those cards and board partners end up with marginally marketable premium parts. On the other hand, if the premium mining version's supply does not meet demand, miners will also fall back to standard edition boards.

In either case, gaming-bound cards still end up in every bit as much of a short supply as they already were.

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
Lots of uninformed hatred in the comments section here. FYI, ASIC boards are used for Bitcoin mining. AMD GPUs are used for most other altcoin mining (litecoin, dogecoin, worldcoin etc.) This board will not affect the price of GPUs, as there are currently no ASICs for altcoin currencies. So calm your t*ts.

fkr

Splendid

If you read my post the first asics chips for litecoin mining were already shipped and the second batch is due out in july. So put on y our pushup bra, jk lol

Status
Not open for further replies.