BioWare Asks: Next Mass Effect - Sequel or Prequel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Sequel! Hands down. Prequels always mess things up, they always come off forced. There's always a shadow over the characters and story. No matter how it's written, twisted or re-arranged, the fact is that it has to all come together in the end to form the predefined story of the existing Mass Effect trilogy. A sequel has to respect the lore, but it can go anywhere from the point where it breaks away from the original. No shadows...

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
I actually wouldnt mind a prequel

it would be cool it import my ME character and depending on the history i selected for shepard in ME1 the prequel could play out differently to reach the start of ME1

balister

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
I can think of one prequel that would be fairly cool, being put in Anderson's shoes when he was being looked at as a Spectre canidate so we could get a little more story in on Saren. Given, you wouldn't be able to play a female, but playing as a young Anderson, even though we know how it ends up, would be interesting. We could learn more about Anderson and see how his Spectre canidancy shaped him to what he would become in the ME trilogy.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
future. the events in ME3(depending on some choices) could definitely come to bite civilization in the ass. Krogans restarting their rebellion would be a good plot. if it were a prequel, Id be interested in seeing the whole battle of when krogans were neutered. but definitely best to see a sequel.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Lol, bioware already messed up by allowing the possible death of the whole crew in ME2, anyways prequel should be the way to go, would be cool to not play human for once, maybe get into the boots of a turian during the rachnii wars and krogan rebellion, would be interesting to see how the turian culture is, got only a glimpse of it in ME3...

and you guys saying prequels are bad..., I take it you didn't play halo: reach....

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the prequel pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe.

You take the Sequel pill - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Well, here we go. Bioware started caving to player-agency in a single player story-driven rpg, and apparently now that's going to be a trend for them. Which, largely defeats the purpose of playing a single player story-driven rpg. In before they standardize multiple ending DLC and you pay for which ending you want to see. Nevermind canon.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Bad idea. You never do story by commitee. That's how you end up with a crap story. EA/Bioware need to hire a set of good writers to come up with a story that fits within the canon, regardless of what the rest of us think.

Like JJ Abrams said being a fan boy just makes for a horrible story.

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Like JJ Abrams said being a fan boy just makes for a horrible story.[/citation]
Joss Whedon might disagree.

G

This is the think considering the dire load we were given at the end of ME3 it would only serve some kind of justice that they make an ammends for sequel and heal the wounds done to the story chain and to litrally make the fans happy. The only way it could go wrong is that the writers keep believing their own poop and write more of the same. I dont want a twisted fate. Shepard is the hero (FEM SHEP FTW) and to take the fate of the players hands to fullfil some trite story line is beyond a slap in the face to all the players, who invested their time and emotional invesment in a large ranging epic story line and then pop goes the balloon in the last five minutes and your left more flacid that after your golden jewels has been raked over hot coals and then feverishly badgered by a pack of rampaging warthogs. Give us a SEQUEL and make the fans happy with a great ending with ME2 or i will put this in the same frame of mind as BSG!

G

I want the Morning War. Playing as Geth and fighting for my freedom from the genocidal quarians XD

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
How bout you redo 3..... without the horrible ending. That way it will be the best game trilogy ever like it was suppose to be. And then go on to 4 and 5 and 6 and 7... to be honest till the last 10 minutes of 3 you could not of told me ME wasn't the greatest game in history. And I wold of never grown tired of it. I buy systems just to play Zelda, Uncharted, and the GT series(even though the GT5 was a let down) I would of done the same with Xbox had ME not turned into a cash grab for EA.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
mass effect already has a lot of history as part o the story so anything other than some spinoff or a sequel will be pure spoiler.

Sequels also allow for the addition of new and better items that will fit (without doing what some other games have done in the past of of the prequel having more advanced tech/ items. It would also allow for an expanded continuation, eg a new threat presenting it's self along with more chances for exploration, (getting rid of the mini crap game of where a enemy like the reaper can detest you and chase you )

also introduce new alien races. and if you cant think of any, then add some asura, charr, and worgen and a few other races (no one will notice where they came from :)

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
Before COD it was "Its in the game!" (which was rehashed sports games) Now we got tons of COD rehash, and you can bet ME is going that exact same route.... upgraded engines while story goes down hill.... FAK YOU EA!!! IM NOT BUYING ANOTHER GAME OF YOURS AGAIN!!!! CAUSE YOU FAK THINGS UP!!!!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!!!

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I would honestly like a prequel based around the time when the Krogans were at their golden years, the city in ME3 looked so interesting and we only saw a glimpse! I'd love to explore a Krogan city. I don't know what a sequel would bring to the table, Shepard is dead FFS! The biggest threat to the universe were the reapers and they're gone too. Making a bad guy more powerful than the reapers would be just so cliche and comic book style, but considering how crappy the ending was maybe they'll go for something like that.

I vote for playing any race you want on the next game. In my honest opinion, the only thing left to explore in a sequel would be politics. How the rest of the galaxy would behave after uniting to fight the reapers. I don't think galactic peace would last for so long now that the biggest threat to the universe is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.