BioWare Asks: Next Mass Effect - Sequel or Prequel?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]SirTrollsALot[/nom]Before COD it was "Its in the game!" (which was rehashed sports games) Now we got tons of COD rehash, and you can bet ME is going that exact same route.... upgraded engines while story goes down hill.... FAK YOU EA!!! IM NOT BUYING ANOTHER GAME OF YOURS AGAIN!!!! CAUSE YOU FAK THINGS UP!!!!! AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT!!![/citation]

Hell, in my opinion they fraked up by not doing exactly that with Mass Effect. Killing such an awesome character as Shepard imo was a big mistake. I was very satisfied with the Mass Effect games and its story until the ending in the third game.

JJ1217

Honorable
They should look at Halo. They made a prequel, and it screwed up so much canon in Halo its not funny. Like when I mean alot, I mean pretty much the entire campaign of 1, 2 and 3, ranging from no armor abilities in future games, and even just in general, more advanced technology in Reach.

Prequel destroys game series, and if you're not going to let a series die, don't let it die from prequels.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
OMG if you had to ask you're doing it wrong already.

Mass Effect is NOT supposed to be a game where your actions have NO effect whatsoever, therefore a prequel is excluded. Also The Reaper threat was the greatest threat in the Galaxy, what will you do in a prequel, save the galaxy again?

A new Mass Effect game should aim higher than current one, with grander consequences for the galaxy or the universe than the fist series, in order to achieve it's full space opera potential.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Here's the thing. . . this is just a show. "Oh we REALLY care what you think! We want your feedback and ideas!" but they really don't care.

They said the same thing about Dragon Age 3. If you go to the bioware forums right now you'll see it's nearly unanimous among players that we wish to play as elves and dwarves as well as humans. To which the bioware employees say "Tough luck. We've already made up our minds. Humans ONLY!".

Why the F did you ask for feedback if you're going to ignore it? EA has killed yet another one.

I'd like to play as Shepherd's FATHER and become CELIBATE...

Seriously though:

SEQUEL

*Let's have a NEW major galactic threat, such as an unheard of race that due to our previous actions has become freed:
- another DIMENSION now becomes aware of us?
- a PRISON WORLD has now lost its jailers?
- a techno-virus converts people to cyborgs/robots? (nah, please don't do the ZOMBIE thing)

However, let's add in a LOT OF BACKSTORY as well.

Concussive

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Why not just make it a sequel and for the people who want different endings, include different openings based on game saves.?

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
lazy people

why didnt you start with the Prequel from the beginning ? huh ?

Imagine if Star wars was made all back in the 70's ... with the same old actors .... stupid idiots.

next time when you do somthing , dont skip the story and start from the beginning.

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]cryogenic[/nom]OMG if you had to ask you're doing it wrong already.Mass Effect is NOT supposed to be a game where your actions have NO effect whatsoever, therefore a prequel is excluded. [/citation]

Choices from previous games affect the overall story, but the ending was more or less the same or with minor differences for Mass Effect 1 & 2. Not sure why that would all of the sudden change with Mass Effect 3. I think a lot of people misunderstood how this game series actually works.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Bioware exists in name only. Furthermore, in typical EA fashion they are asking for fan feedback and trying to drum up excitement whilst already having determined the outcome. EA doesn't care about fan satisfaction. They only care about money.

sp0nger

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
it seems naive to desire a new story even tho the story (regardless of how it was handled) was solidly ended in me3, what are they going to do fight another badder form of the reapers? nothing is going to live up to that and it seems shallow to desire some shitty extension story when there is the much more interesting story of playing the past of the character you spent 3 games with already.

The reason you all hate prequels is there usually handled badly. Extending storys to satisfy fan whos cant deal with closure in turn produce shitty story lines that lack the impact of the orginals is what ruins series, not prequels. I find much more value in in a prequel than a sequel, because if handled correctly it can add to a series, while most of the time, sequels after a major series have been finished RUIN series

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation][nom]darkavenger123[/nom]I want sequels. Hate prequels. Don't want to know anything that already happened.[/citation]

100% agree on this one, sequels only

LordConrad

Distinguished
Prequel! Let's see the battle that made Shepard a hero, or perhaps Anderson's failed attempt at becoming a Spectre. Playing as the Protheans would be cool, but you'd already know you were going to lose.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I think we should make a reality TV show/game called "Hunt Down and Humiliate" the people that decide crap like this... Im glad for Kickstarter, hope the games on there break out, rather than those cash cows EA with its cash cow puppet Bioware...

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Bad idea. You never do story by commitee.[/citation]
[citation][nom]casualcolors[/nom]Well, here we go. Bioware started caving to player-agency in a single player story-driven rpg[/citation]Whoa slow down there Spark 1 and Spark 2. Asking ME fans if they'd prefer a prequel or sequel is not the same as "story by committee" or "player-agency" writing. You're getting a bit ahead of yourselves. Wait and see, if the game retains the ME gameplay, I'll likely buy it.

It also depends on HOW FAR BACK the sequel goes.
Star Wars spans thousands of years so you can encounter events that aren't closely tied into the current Trilogy.

But if we do that, why not just do a sequel?

*I'd like a sequel, but perhaps THIRTY YEARS in the future and we play the OFFSPRING of Shepherd. We could see how some of the characters are getting on in life. Maybe JOKER gets cured by the Salarians as a reward for saving the Universe. (assuming he's not dead. I'm still on ME2.. sigh.)

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]balister[/nom]I can think of one prequel that would be fairly cool, being put in Anderson's shoes when he was being looked at as a Spectre canidate so we could get a little more story in on Saren. Given, you wouldn't be able to play a female, but playing as a young Anderson, even though we know how it ends up, would be interesting. We could learn more about Anderson and see how his Spectre canidancy shaped him to what he would become in the ME trilogy.[/citation]

i would buy that as a DLC but not a full game. i would want to customize my character and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.