Bioware Details Mass Effect 2 Collectors' Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarvis

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2004
Does anyone watch those making of DVDs? I really don't see the value in a lot of these collector's editions.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Why is the PC $10 less?[/citation]

Almost all PC games cost $10 less. Some cost even less. And in two months the average price will drop to $40.

The only reasoning behind this is because they know they can sucker console gamers out of a few extra bucks. Think about it, the PC version is nothing more than a port from the console.

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
$10 more for a CE? Not bad, I don't find the extras to be overly exciting for justify the extra $10 for myself.. But I think I might do it, I love Mass Effect.

helldog3105

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
The reason console games are more expensive is due to the licensing fee they have to pay to the console maker. Where as it is not $10 a copy most game companies round up to the next nearest number to make more money off of their products.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]helldog3105[/nom]The reason console games are more expensive is due to the licensing fee they have to pay to the console maker. Where as it is not $10 a copy most game companies round up to the next nearest number to make more money off of their products.[/citation]
Thanks for the info.

So, after spending $2,000 on my computer, it'll actually save me money as soon as I hit the 200 game mark?

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
The cover art on the Collector's Addition is stellar as well. It's a small thing I know, but since I'm going to buy it regardless I'm excited.

G

As long as there is no unreasonable DRM, I'll be buying a copy. Otherwise I'll wait a year for the price to plummet like I did with the first one.

frogman7

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
The real reason why PC games costs $10 less than there counterparts has to do with the pricing scheme of the 360/PS3 which essentially taxes every game $10 to pay back the loss they took when the sold you the console. This is also why games that are multiplatform are also $10 less on Wii and PS2 because they don't have that extra tax on the games that Microsoft and Sony has.

burfordg

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Almost all PC games cost $10 less. Some cost even less. And in two months the average price will drop to $40. The only reasoning behind this is because they know they can sucker console gamers out of a few extra bucks. Think about it, the PC version is nothing more than a port from the console.[/citation]

No. There are additional licensing fees for consoles, and that's what the $10 covers.

Mass Effect for PC was by far the superior version of the game, and Dragon Age: Origins for the PC is also considered the better version. With Bioware, I'm trusting their PC version to be a good one. If there's a Digital Deluxe edition? They've got themselves a sale.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Why is the PC $10 less?[/citation]

Because they don't to have to pay any royalties to a console maker. They spend less to develop, so they pass the savings to the costumer.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Jane McEntegart[/nom]which is about a tenner more than the standard edition price.[/citation]
A tenner? I don't even think I can handle your UKishness anymore. :p

I have a friend from Wales who has a lot of similar mannerisms, and it always takes me a few seconds to figure out what the hell he's talking about. lol

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]Mass Effect was good but no show stopper. Maybe this time it won't be infested with Draconian DRM. Dragon Age is the one.[/citation]
I just gave it a play though, then handed it off to a friend to do the same. DRM was never once an issue. Hell, you don't even have to use the disk to play.

What exactly are you expecting from them?

miribus

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Thanks for the info.So, after spending $2,000 on my computer, it'll actually save me money as soon as I hit the 200 game mark?[/citation]

Consider too that many PC games are introduced even cheaper.
Lots of pretty good games are sold for $40 or even $30 to start, from little known or brand-new developers who can develop (essentially) for free on the PC and reduce the price to entice people to buy their little-known and not at all marketed stuff.

I'm thinking of you, Cryostasis (awesome game, introduced at $30)
Developing for the PC is far less difficult than the 360, let alone the PS3, which makes it considerably less expensive as well.
PC games tend to drop in price faster I've noticed too.

Unfortunately piracy is shifting game developers to console (if not first) to ensure that most of their games will actually be bought, before they risk "giving it away" on the PC. Unfortunately I can't blame them for that.
The OTHER thing about how that sucks is that since the PC would typically be developed as an after thought, the PC version ends up as a poorly thrown together port with no real forethought on using the PC to it's potential... I'm looking at YOU Assassin's Creed('s Controls) and Kane and Lynch (I actually liked this game quite a bit, but SPLITSCREEN MULTIPLAYER ON A PC? REALLY?..... REALLY?.... REALLY?????????????????????????)

RE5 appears to be a good example of how to make a PC port.
Thank you Capcom... *sniff* thank you.

mystoccowgod

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
mm pirating the game, bought the collectors edition of dragon age was faced with launch day DLC that the collectors edition didn't have. unhanded tactic yay! paying 71$ for a full game ! bioware screw you

Status
Not open for further replies.