Bitdefender Says Windows Defender is Better Than Nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Recently, I've been wondering how many viruses I've got after a year or so of running sans AV, so I downloaded avira free and did a full scan. It found 2 viruses, which were both reported false positives and as such, I uninstalled it.
In my opinion, care and common sense can very well make up for the lack of an antivirus.

G

lol no, your pc is better of without it, and by that i mean with or without it you WILL get infected if there is something that can infect. but the application itself is so annoying itself so it isnt worth enabling.

therogerwilco

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
So perhaps they are saying we should go with BitDefender?
Personally I goto quite a few shady sites, on Win7 Security Essentials never failed me, and so far on 8, it hasn't failed me.
Besides, the one thing nobody ever talks about, is the simple fact that no anti-virus etc will EVER be 100%. Until NEW virus are found and put into a catalog, the anti-virus program doesn't know about it.
Also, another reason I use Microsoft's AV etc, is because they KNOW windows. Google "mistake user32.dll flagged as virus bluescreen".

enzed

Honorable
Oct 24, 2012
AV software at the consumer-level just seems like a money-grab in my opinion. I've never had an AV program on any of my personal PCs, and I have yet to run into any problems.

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
TOMS: Take this STUPID advertisement down now! Your integrity is at stake here. This is comign from a firm that offers their own solution, it would be like running this article and saying the data came from Symantec or whatever. What a crock of crap.

MSE (defender) is great stuff, is supoer fast and doesn't hog system resources. In my experience MSE is the best all arounnd solution and is built right into Windows Update. You really can't beat MSE and I bet most techies use the software.

Again, take this BS biased article down NOW! Shame on your Toms for this biased bit of reporting

Pherule

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2010
Last time I read up on Bit Defender I found out it screws up something related to Opera. Naturally I shelved Bit Defender to my list of "never ever use" antiviruses.

Last time I used Microsoft Security Essentials (which is now built into Windows Defender in Windows 8), it deleted all my data and I had to use data recovery software to get my stuff back. Naturally I shelved MSE to my "never ever use again" antiviruses.

Right now I'm using Comodo, but it's being silly so I'm thinking about alternatives. Avast is my next favorite, but apparently it doesn't play nice with Windows 8. Good thing I'm on XP, I suppose.

Mind you, while we're on the topic of Avast; I've been looking at my Netlimiter 3 logs, and apparently while Avast was active, most of my traffic was hidden under the Avast process. This annoyed me somewhat, as I was unable to determine which applications were using the most bandwidth back then. Fortunately Comdo does not do this.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I've been using MSE on my personal machine and I have no knowledge of any infection in recent memory. I had a couple of "blocked" messages in the past year, but few and far between.

Using it as well on a machine at a small PC repair shop that we use to transfer data off infected computers and have noticed no ill effects on that unit either despite the fact that it's surrounded by malicious files in users' personal folders (downloads, most often)

On the flip side of the coin, I know people who use their favorite flavour of AV (Norton, McAfee, and even some good ones like Kaspersky and Bitdefender) and get infected regularly (often in spans of 6 month periods) due simply to their user habits. There is no "end all" and "be all" to malicious software protection, it starts and ends with the user, everything else is simply precautionary, not bulletproof.

In that case, 85% out of the box doesn't sound bad to me at all.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
Sorry for the double post, but after reading all the uninformed comments from people who have A) Not used Windows 8 and B) are referring to the Windows Defender included with Vista

This is NOT the same flavour that was shipped with vista. This is essentially Microsoft Security Essentials with padding. Lightweight, and solid. Know what you're talking about before you bash a product due to your own pre-determinations and shortfalls.

Cryio

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]one of the most bloated proaducts out there... install it on a PC see it crawl to a halt...[/citation]

Yeah, if you use a Pentium 3.

lockhrt999

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Dorel44[/nom]In my opinion, care and common sense can very well make up for the lack of an antivirus.[/citation]

Well said. AVs are not for geeks like us, they are there for blonde babes.
No offence is intended.

smfrazz

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]therogerwilco[/nom]So perhaps they are saying we should go with BitDefender?Personally I goto quite a few shady sites, on Win7 Security Essentials never failed me, and so far on 8, it hasn't failed me.Besides, the one thing nobody ever talks about, is the simple fact that no anti-virus etc will EVER be 100%. Until NEW virus are found and put into a catalog, the anti-virus program doesn't know about it.Also, another reason I use Microsoft's AV etc, is because they KNOW windows. Google "mistake user32.dll flagged as virus bluescreen".[/citation]

SO true... and I uninstalled Kaspersky and went with Microsoft Security Essentials. I have not noticed any performance issues like I did with Norton, Symantec and Kaspersky. I agree...would love to see how BitDefender out of the box did against the same attacks? Did they do a broader test and see how it stacked up against the market leaders? Of course not... they wouldn't want to show a FREE app performed on par or better than the TOP paid apps.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
I had a particular nasty virus about two years ago, and it went undetected with every single antivirus, it basically opened up my bandwidth , like leaving the faucets on full blast in your bathtub, and no one except the people 5 floors down would know about it until they start getting welts in their ceiling.

The only thing that helped me resolve, was to actually use a Networking Monitor, and know that my useage was being leeched. All this came from a certain cracked audio program I once wanted.

I was once into collecting programs I'd never need, but today, I truly believe if you really want to make use of a program, then just buy it and support the creator.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Just my own two cents here.
I have MSE/MSD on all my computers, except my main.

Common sense and avoiding shady *cough* erotic *cough* websites on my main have kept it trouble free. Also, I use frontline defense that is more effective in the form of FireFox with noscript and adblocker, while trashing IE.

The best defense is a good offense IMO.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
I am an IT professional and I use MSE in its various forms (standard, Safety Scanner and Defender Offline) to disinfect PC's from viruses and shitware that Symantec and Panda let in.

I'm VERY pleased with its performance and reliability, so I don't quite understand what this Bit Defender dude is avocating, here.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
SHOCK!! Once premiere AV company rags on its (now) main rival.

I've been using MSE for years now, and occasionally try out the free trials of the best rated comercial AV packages. Other than some false positives they do no better or worse than MS's free product. However they ALL result in slowdowns and a continuous barrage of nag messages and just plain "we protected you from xxx" popups that are mostly just pure bunk and there only to make inexperienced users believe that they AV is actually doing something.

I go to a few shady sites, but in my experience its the actions of the USER that is key to being or not being infected.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
According to the firm, one of the samples managed to sneak past Windows Defender, but crashed on execution. Another sample broke through Windows Defender and actually executed, but it was immediately blocked by User Account Control so no actual payload was unloaded.

Some people had the habit to just allow a program to run without reading the warning message.

Status
Not open for further replies.