Question Bizarre internet speed behaviour

chaoscobra

Honorable
May 21, 2018
UPDATE: After hours of troubleshooting, I have found the fix. If anyone has a similar issue to this on windows 10, run command prompt as admin and type in the following command:
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

I hope anyone who has this issue finds this solution quicker than it took me to. God speed.

I recently moved house and have noticed that my pc is no longer getting full gigabit ethernet. I have gigabit internet with virgin and have confirmed the speeds by plugging my laptop into the router and doing a speed test, on the laptop, the speed immediately jumps up to around 900mbps and then climbs to 1000mbps. However, when I do a speed test on my pc, using speedtest.net, the initial speed peaks at around 60mbps and then fairly quickly climbs and tops out at around 450. Even more odd is that if I use the speedtest app in windows, the speed jumps to around 80mbps and stays there. I know my motherboard is gigabit capable because I had gigabit internet at my last house and had no issues with the speeds on the pc whatsoever. I have checked both the router and pc settings and both of them show it as a gigabit connection.

I thought maybe the ethernet port could've possibly incurred damage during transit, so I plugged my phone in and used USB tethering. My phone, on the wifi, gets around 500-600mbps so I thought if the ethernet port was dodgy, I should expect to see a spike up to maybe around 300 using tethering on my pc. However, the speed test behaviour was exactly the same as when the pc was plugged in via ethernet. On the website, it jumped to about 60mbps and then slowly rose to around 300, and on the windows app, it jumped to 80mbps and stayed there. So I can only assume that something at software level is interfering with my speeds, but I can't fathom what it could be. I made sure that settings such as gigabit lite, disable gigabit, green ethernet and energy efficient ethernet are all disabled before every test run.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this sudden odd behaviour?

elo39ih.png

E5pj0Qp.png

Last edited:
Solution
UPDATE: After hours of troubleshooting, I have found the fix. If anyone has a similar issue to this on windows 10, run command prompt as admin and type in the following command:

I hope anyone who has this issue finds this solution quicker than it took me to. God speed.

I recently moved house and have noticed that my pc is no longer getting full gigabit ethernet. I have gigabit internet with virgin and have confirmed the speeds by plugging my laptop into the router and doing a speed test, on the laptop, the speed immediately jumps up to around 900mbps and then climbs to 1000mbps. However, when I do a speed test on my pc, using speedtest.net, the initial speed peaks at...

chaoscobra

Honorable
May 21, 2018

I recently moved house and have noticed that my pc is no longer getting full gigabit ethernet. I have gigabit internet with virgin and have confirmed the speeds by plugging my laptop into the router and doing a speed test, on the laptop, the speed immediately jumps up to around 900mbps and then climbs to 1000mbps. However, when I do a speed test on my pc, using speedtest.net, the initial speed peaks at around 60mbps and then fairly quickly climbs and tops out at around 450. Even more odd is that if I use the speedtest app in windows, the speed jumps to around 80mbps and stays there. I know my motherboard is gigabit capable because I had gigabit internet at my last house and had no issues with the speeds on the pc whatsoever. I have checked both the router and pc settings and both of them show it as a gigabit connection.

I thought maybe the ethernet port could've possibly incurred damage during transit, so I plugged my phone in and used USB tethering. My phone, on the wifi, gets around 500-600mbps so I thought if the ethernet port was dodgy, I should expect to see a spike up to maybe around 300 using tethering on my pc. However, the speed test behaviour was exactly the same as when the pc was plugged in via ethernet. On the website, it jumped to about 60mbps and then slowly rose to around 300, and on the windows app, it jumped to 80mbps and stayed there. So I can only assume that something at software level is interfering with my speeds, but I can't fathom what it could be. I made sure that settings such as gigabit lite, disable gigabit, green ethernet and energy efficient ethernet are all disabled before every test run.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this sudden odd behaviour?

elo39ih.png

E5pj0Qp.png

Solution
That is indeed strange.

The default value as shiped/installed is "normal". Not sure how or why it would have been disabled. The only time I have seen talk of disabling it is when you are running lan traffic where latency is low and you have very fast ethernet ports like 10gbit. It can in some narrow cases improve the performance. When you run over the internet you always need this feature especially on higher latency connections.

TRENDING THREADS