aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
So my landlord recently moved out of the country, and as a result we had to get our own contract with the ISP. A few days later they said it was up and running and our smart TV did indeed get Internet again, but both Wifi and wired connections to either the network switch or the router are dead. They receive a signal, but no internet. ISP swears up and down that there is nothing wrong with the connection, and due to county decisions, refuses to send a technician to help, and i have run out of things to try, so i beseech this forum for help

• The router itself claims that "Ethernet disabled" yet the Ethernet connection between itself and the smart TV is providing internet, but ONLY the smart TV
  • The issue occurs across multiple PCs, Laptops and Phones; on both 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz. All cables have been replaced to no avail.
  • Factory reset on both devices have been attempted
  • To reiterate; directly plugging an Ethernet cable into the network switch also does not provide Internet
  • Internet cables in the metal grid below the switch also does not provide internet
  • Firmware has been updated
  • Also worth mentioning, all of these devices worked without issue before we got the new ISP contract (with the same ISP)
  • Providing an image link to the Network Switch, The Router display; and the Router configuration settings View: https://imgur.com/a/2RM4gRu

kanewolf

Titan
So my landlord recently moved out of the country, and as a result we had to get our own contract with the ISP. A few days later they said it was up and running and our smart TV did indeed get Internet again, but both Wifi and wired connections to either the network switch or the router are dead. They receive a signal, but no internet. ISP swears up and down that there is nothing wrong with the connection, and due to county decisions, refuses to send a technician to help, and i have run out of things to try, so i beseech this forum for help

• The router itself claims that "Ethernet disabled" yet the Ethernet connection between itself and the smart TV is providing internet, but ONLY the smart TV
  • The issue occurs across multiple PCs, Laptops and Phones; on both 2.4 Ghz and 5.0 Ghz. All cables have been replaced to no avail.
  • Factory reset on both devices have been attempted
  • To reiterate; directly plugging an Ethernet cable into the network switch also does not provide Internet
  • Internet cables in the metal grid below the switch also does not provide internet
  • Firmware has been updated
  • Also worth mentioning, all of these devices worked without issue before we got the new ISP contract (with the same ISP)
  • Providing an image link to the Network Switch, The Router display; and the Router configuration settings View: https://imgur.com/a/2RM4gRu
Start by providing model numbers for all network hardware.
The provide a simple diagram of how it is all connected. For example: ISP -> modem model 123 -> router model XYZ -> switch model ABC -> TV and others ....

Your "ethernet disabled" is referring to the WAN connection of the router.

The HES 3109 in picture 1 is a fiber termination device.
Picture 2 looks like your router. It has a red light. It seems like the cable from the device in picture 1 should go to the WAN port of the device in picture 2 but without a model number of picture 2 I can't look up a user's manual.

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Start by providing model numbers for all network hardware.
The provide a simple diagram of how it is all connected. For example: ISP -> modem model 123 -> router model XYZ -> switch model ABC -> TV and others ....

Your "ethernet disabled" is referring to the WAN connection of the router.

The HES 3109 in picture 1 is a fiber termination device.
Picture 2 looks like your router. It has a red light. It seems like the cable from the device in picture 1 should go to the WAN port of the device in picture 2 but without a model number of picture 2 I can't look up a user's manual.
Right. The Switch is CTS HES-3109S, the router is Telia WiFi-Router Plus V3.

It goes ISP -> Wall Socket -> Switch Model HES-3109S -> Telia WiFi-Router Plus V3

After that it gets confusing.

there are 4 cables, the 2 going from the TV/Soundsystem into the wall and the 2 going from the stack beneath the switch to the router.

If any more clarification is required i'll do my utmost, happy for the reply!

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
For the record, when attempting to put the Cable the TV has into a PC, it yet again gives a connection, but no internet, Troubleshooter claims its a DNS issue

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding "attempting to put the Cable the TV has into a PC" - what cable? Ethernet?

What (if anything) is printed on that cable?

What troubleshooter?

Try to figure out the confusing cable connections and update your connection diagram accordingly.

Look at what is printed on cables - some cables have length markings on them.

Add a few more photographs - what is that "stack"? Wall socket?

As a general observation I would expect router ---> switch connectivity.

Not switch ----> router.

aleksfox

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2015
Regarding "attempting to put the Cable the TV has into a PC" - what cable? Ethernet?

What (if anything) is printed on that cable?

What troubleshooter?

Try to figure out the confusing cable connections and update your connection diagram accordingly.

Look at what is printed on cables - some cables have length markings on them.

Add a few more photographs - what is that "stack"? Wall socket?

As a general observation I would expect router ---> switch connectivity.

Not switch ----> router.
Right, let's give it a go!

The cable i am referring to is indeed an Ethernet Cable.

There is nothing printed on that cable.

The Troubleshooter in question is the Network Adapter Troubleshooter (not that the others yielded any results)

The CTS HES-3109S which according to the internet is a Managed Network Switch, gets its internet from a socket in the wall (First Image attached)

The Router has 5 Cables connected to it. The power cable, obviously; Then 1 cable going into the CTS HES-3109S, 2 into the stack beneath the switch and 1 into a small box that is the security alarm. (Third Image Attached)

As for the stack beneath it? I honestly have no clue. I've not seen one before, my Landlord bought and had it installed, and any question regarding what it is is met with "It gives the internet" so i fear there will no clarity there

The other images shows the full setup minus the Network Switch from the earlier images.

View: https://imgur.com/a/1vn7IFP

kanewolf

Titan
Right, let's give it a go!

The cable i am referring to is indeed an Ethernet Cable.

There is nothing printed on that cable.

The Troubleshooter in question is the Network Adapter Troubleshooter (not that the others yielded any results)

The CTS HES-3109S which according to the internet is a Managed Network Switch, gets its internet from a socket in the wall (First Image attached)

The Router has 5 Cables connected to it. The power cable, obviously; Then 1 cable going into the CTS HES-3109S, 2 into the stack beneath the switch and 1 into a small box that is the security alarm. (Third Image Attached)

As for the stack beneath it? I honestly have no clue. I've not seen one before, my Landlord bought and had it installed, and any question regarding what it is is met with "It gives the internet" so i fear there will no clarity there

The other images shows the full setup minus the Network Switch from the earlier images.

View: https://imgur.com/a/1vn7IFP
My research on the HES=3109S was that it was the FIBER termination point for your ISP. Do you have fiber to the house ?

Ralston18

Titan
Trying to work out the devices and connections.

My line diagram:

ISP === Wall Socket (Port 1, Red plug) === white optic fiber(?) ===> Switch (HES-3109S) Blue Port #2

--- Wall Socket (Port 2) Black Ethernet cable --- -> Telia WiFi-Router Plus V3 ? I do not see the cable at the router.

Nor do I see any cables leaving the Switch and going to the router... ?

I submit that the red plug should be going to the Router's red port. Then one of the router's LAN ports is connected to one of the Switch ports. However router LAN ports could be used for wired connections as well.

The Switch then provides Ethernet connections to wired devices.

Take a few minutes and just sketch out a a diagram showing the connection paths.

Lable devices, cables, ports.

And a few more close up photographs to show what is what.

TRENDING THREADS