Question Black in and out when not gaming, but nonexistent when gaming??

Black_Jesus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
Basically what the title says. There's a black disconnect then reconnect of the display when I'm not gaming, but it doesn't seem to happen when I *am* gaming. If anything, I would figure it would be the opposite! I do believe it's a graphics card or PSU issue as I've had this issue with an older PC but same card, but it would happen consistently on the old PC and not like this. Does anyone know why this would happen? I figured I'd post in display forum due to it affecting my monitor. If it matters, the connection is via HDMI at 175hz. Any theories or solutions would be highly appreciated.

OptiPlex 7060 SFF
Monitor - LS27AG55x 2560 x 1440, 144hz
i5 8500
16GB DDR4 UDIMM 1Rx16 Non-Ecc 2666mhz
PowerColour RX 550 GDDR5 Low Profile --> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09V2GYKPJ?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title
200w PSU (I know quite low but is why I got LP GPU)
256GB m.2 SSD
512GB SSD
(Would like to add my other two 256GB SSD and 4TB HDD, but figured power draw would increase even more albeit slightly, and could impact performance of GPU)

Last edited:
Low profile or not, the RX 550 requires at least a 350w PSU. And not some low quality one either. What is the ACTUAL model of your PSU? Is it the stock PSU that came with your Optiplex? There's a good chance that a standard ATX power supply won't work with your system, in fact, seeing that it's a SFF Optiplex it almost certainly won't. So knowing what model PSU you have is likely key here.

Also, knowing if this is the same PSU that was used in the "old PC" is likely important and if it isn't, what is the model of the PSU in THAT system?

Black_Jesus

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2016
Low profile or not, the RX 550 requires at least a 350w PSU. And not some low quality one either. What is the ACTUAL model of your PSU? Is it the stock PSU that came with your Optiplex? There's a good chance that a standard ATX power supply won't work with your system, in fact, seeing that it's a SFF Optiplex it almost certainly won't. So knowing what model PSU you have is likely key here.

Also, knowing if this is the same PSU that was used in the "old PC" is likely important and if it isn't, what is the model of the PSU in THAT system?
Are you sure about the 350w PSU? Because when I look on Techstartup, for every rx 550 there is, I see suggested PSU is 250w. Would I be better off getting a 3050 LP? Seems this guy got it working on a similar optiplex with even less wattage!! https://pcpartpicker.com/b/X3xcCJ#cx4469098

I'm also curious if doing a custom tuning profile with all defaults but set at -50% power consumption would help.

Sorry, forgot to add PSU models. The old PC had two different ones, the stock one and one I bought solely to make the GPU work, of which neither allowed the GPU to work. But, this one works much better, which is the stock PSU for dell optiplex 7060 SFF's. AC200EBS-00. Ironically, it's less wattage than what I purchased for the last PC, so it's VERY odd that it works and the other one doesn't.