[SOLVED] Black screen after boot and before windows. Been trying for days to make it work

fogelrules

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
Hey all,
I attempted my first build - https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/4xP3D2 - and everything powers up just fine.
I can access Bios but anything after that all I see is a small RoG logo and then my monitor goes to a lit up black screen and stays that way.

I managed to get a Windows boot drive to install Windows 10 until it reached the set up/user preferences and then the screen switched to the lit black screen and didn't change back.

I've tried everything in the stickied list of things to check before posting about these issues, and I've scoured the web for answers and possible solutions and nothing seems to be working.

I've moved the m.2 nvme ssd to a different m.2 slot - no change
I've tried booting without the 1070 installed - nada
I've tried wiping the cmos and nothing.
I tried one stick of ram, and tried booting without any sata connections from my storage drive and optical drive.
I'm probably forgetting other things but that's just off the top of my head.

I'm willing to try anything at this stage 😓

Solution
Try doing a windows repair.Set monitor settings to default.Try a different hdmi.Go to bios and set everything to default.Reseat pci-e cable.

jamesanyoung

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2013
ok, try this:

remove the HDmi cable from both ends and wait a minute before putting it back in.

It sounds like it is a storage issue - do you have an OS on another drive (SATA) that you can try booting with?

What is your BIOS boot priority set to?

fogelrules

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
ok, try this:

remove the HDmi cable from both ends and wait a minute before putting it back in.

It sounds like it is a storage issue - do you have an OS on another drive (SATA) that you can try booting with?

What is your BIOS boot priority set to?
I tried the HDMI removal and it didn't change anything.
I do have the hard drive from my old PC I could use, and I do have a 2tb HDD plugged in that I was going to use for storage.

Currently the boot priority is showing just the M.2_1 Samsung 970

fogelrules

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
I've since tried removing the nvme ssd and installing Windows onto the 2tb HDD and I managed to get to the desktop and stayed there for about 5 minutes before the screen went to black and now it has the same issue where on boot it goes black before it gets to windows

TRENDING THREADS