Question Black Screen after freeze on BIOS Boot Order Change

Aug 7, 2024
I have a ASUS K73SV. Today I wanted to install windows on it to dual boot with linux. When I changed the boot order in the bios to my USB Bootable, which also included the linux iso which worked perfectly fine 30min earlier, the bios just froze and was stuck. I couldn't see any way other than to hold down the power button. Now it has a permanent black screen. I cant even reach the bios the screen is always black. No logo, no error, nothing. I removed the cmos battery to reset the bios with no luck... I can tell that its doing something because if I stick in my LINUX drive (it should boot into it I assume?) the CPU & GPU gets warm (no overheating, just common usage temperature) as well as the power light is on and the light that has the light bulb as an icon. Did I brick it? No I don't care if its already 12 Years old and I should just buy a new laptop...

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You state OS, what OS from Windows are you trying to install? Where did yo source the installer for the OS and how did you fabricate the installer for said OS?
I used Linux Mint from their official website with Ventoy as my bootable. (I have installed both of them beforehand so the OSs cant be the issue)